PDA

View Full Version : Woo hoo! Hubby surprised me w/a new bike!

CyclaSutra
03-01-2006, 07:16 PM
So ... I can't believe my DH

A) Bought me a new double-suspension mountain bike

B) Pulled off an actual surprise

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I asked my fave mechanic/LBS owner what mtn bike he'd recommend for me, since I didn't think I could pony up enough dough for a Titus or Ellsworth. The only other MTB brand he sells is Giant, and his eyes lit up and he said he had the perfect bike for me ... he showed me and I fell in love with the Giant Trance still packed up in the carboard, even though it is the ugliest snot (lilly green) color. It's almost so ugly it's cute.

So I printed out her picture and carried it to work and was drooling over it and trying to decide how to afford it, etc., and Scott called from the LBS and said "You wouldn't believe it, I went to Teton Cycleworks to look at the bike you wanted, and they just sold it. Too bad!" I was really bummed.

Then I got home tonight, and she was sitting in my living room, all sparkly and HUGE travel! WOW! Now I just have to go put some pedals on it... I'll take a pic as soon as I properly thank DH...

anybody have one of these, or another Giant with Maestro suspension?

Trekhawk
03-01-2006, 08:12 PM
What a lovely surprise.
Hope you have lots of wonderful rides on your new bike.:)

margo49
03-02-2006, 02:52 AM
Wonderful!
Lucky you!

Brina
03-02-2006, 04:28 AM
congrats on the new ride! whata cool dh!

Jo-n-NY
03-02-2006, 05:51 AM
What a wonderful surprise and what a wonderful dh you have. I am wishing you many fun and happy riding miles.

~ JoAnn

yellow
03-02-2006, 05:58 AM
Yay! OK, give us the specs (and a picture)! As for the color, at least you'll always be able to pick it out in a crowd! :p

CyclaSutra
03-02-2006, 06:12 AM
Any sugestions on upgrades, sistas? First thing first ... pedals! Can't decide whether to put my old TIME pedals on or switch my Shimano ones from the road bike (they actually are MTB peds and shoes) and get new road bike-specific platform pedals...

size 13.5", 14.5", 16"
color Lilly Green
frame ALUXX Butted aluminum, 4.2" Travel.
fork RockShox Reba SL, 100mm travel
shock Fox Float RP3
handlebar Race Face Evolve XC low rise
stem Race Face Evolve XC
seatpost Race Face Evolve, 350x30.9
saddle WTB Deva Comp
pedals NA
shifters SRAM X.9 trigger
front derailleur Shimano XT
rear derailleur SRAM X.9
brakes Hayes HFX-9 XC
levers Hayes HFX-9 XC
cassette SRAM PG980 11-34T, 9 speed
chain Shimano HG 53
cranks Race Face Evolve X-Type 22/32/44
BB Race Face X-Type
rims Mavic XM317
hubs DT Cerit Disc
spokes DT Competition
tires Hutchinson Bulldog MRC AirLight, folding 26x2.1

yellow
03-02-2006, 07:05 AM
Very nice! I have the X.9 on my bike and love it. I personally like the performance better than the Shimano.

Lily green...hmmmm...it actually is close in color to the California (and Sierra)fawn lily. It's also close to a bunch of Calochortus lilies (cats ear, star tulip).

Make sure you read up on that RP3 and memorize the settings. I still can't remember. I think I'm gonna have it replaced with a "no brainer" rear shock. I already have to think too much when I mountain bike!

CorsairMac
03-02-2006, 10:48 AM
Very nice - and I see what you mean about the colour! At least you won't be hard to spot on the trails! Congrats!!! :D

CyclaSutra
03-02-2006, 02:12 PM
OK, stupid question... are women's bikes all named men? Unless you're batting for the other team, wouldn't you want to be riding a manly name?

And which is better for this bike, Snotrocket or Kermit?

Tee hee.

yellow
03-02-2006, 05:19 PM
That bike looks female to me!

I vote for Calochortus, "Callie" for short or Tulip. She reminds me of spring...hence Tulip. She's also the color of monument plant, which is a gentian. But gentian sounds wrong.

Anyone know their lizards? There has to be a lizard that color...

SadieKate
03-02-2006, 05:29 PM
Wow, on my monitor it looks like moonlight which is never white. Sorry, it even looks potato bug colored.:o Maybe I need to check my monitor settings. Remember the old glow-in-the-dark stars you could stick on your ceiling? :o I like the color.

She's purty though. You have a nice set of components on that bike. Ride her till something needs replacing.

Ask what tires your folks in your area use. I don't know anything about those tires but tires can be very specific to the type of trail you ride (hardpack, volcanic, gummy, etc.).

Your hubby is a keeper!

yellow
03-03-2006, 06:50 AM
Wow, on my monitor it looks like moonlight which is never white. Sorry, it even looks potato bug colored.:o
I think potato bugs (aka Jerusalem crickets, aka child-of-the-earth) are more orange, aren't they? Thankfully, I haven't seen one in a while! :eek:

You're right, SK, it's more lunar and star-like than plant-like. Too bad "Luna" is a bike brand.