PDA

View Full Version : What makes you mad?

Trek420
11-07-2014, 04:24 PM
In line with the other happy and sad threads and keeping this in the helpful, friendly, kind, supportive, fellow TE'r environment of this forum, what makes you :mad:

Bullying, anyone picking on another person. Racism makes me mad. Also people with superiority complexes, acting or speaking in a way that indicates they are better than everyone else. This is not to say some aren't deservedly better. Whatever you do with skill and have achieved you should be proud of it. I've no problem with anyone being proud of being the best doctor, cyclist, artist, writer ... It just does not entitle one to get ahead in the supermarket line or go through the 10 items or fewer with your whole cart because of it.

Elder abuse makes me mad.... Oh, now you've got me started.

Blueberry
11-07-2014, 05:03 PM
Intentional helplessness. I have a family member and a couple of acquaintances (extricating myself from friendships) who do this all.the.time. They are perfectly capable human beings (one is enrolled at a great college), but they don't know how (and aren't willing to find out) how to do anything for themselves. They ask SO many questions (that could easily be googled), don't listen the first time (or learn from past experiences), and take up so much time that it's easier to do whatever it is they want, rather than help them (because that's the lesser amount of time). Of course, that was the plan all along. It's an issue I'm constantly battling - and makes me angry.

So that's petty - but it's my frustration this week (been reading this (http://zenhabits.net/mt/) and thinking about what brings me joy/frustrates me/what is worth keeping in my life.

lph
11-07-2014, 11:57 PM
People who like being martyrs. Assumptions of moral superiority. Assumptions in general. Unspoken rules. And bike salmon.

Crankin
11-08-2014, 03:03 AM
People who don't help themselves and stay stuck. Of course, my job is to help these people... I mean my friends and family who don't do anything to change a situation they complain about.
Women who constantly brag about their kids.
Those who think "bad stuff" only happens in poor neighborhoods.
Racists, sexists, and those who generally try to tell me how to live my life.
People who have no regard for education.

Pax
11-08-2014, 03:23 AM
Bigots

Uninformed, ignorant people who loudly parrot others ideologies

Groups that refuse to acknowledge their privilege, and further, believe there is no discrimination because THEY haven't experienced it

ny biker
11-08-2014, 08:11 AM
Too much to mention and thinking about it will just make me mad.

OakLeaf
11-08-2014, 09:44 AM
People who profit from others' suffering. And all of the above, though any more a lot of what used to make me mad, just makes me very, very sad. I was young and idealistic and angry once ... now all the hate just wears me out.

VeganBikeChick
11-08-2014, 05:55 PM
People who feel superior to others. Those that won't let you merge into traffic. Those who mistreat elderly/special needs/less fortunate people. People who are habitually late.

Pax
11-09-2014, 03:32 AM
Those people that sit behind me in movie theaters. They make me mad. Every. Single. Time.

I'm cursed.
We've been to a movie theater exactly twice in the last decade (Serenity and The Avengers), first time it was packed to the gills with loud sweaty people, second time there were plenty of open seats and some latecomer sat right next to us and texted the entire time. Movie theaters suck.

malkin
11-09-2014, 06:34 AM
Stupid politics make me so mad that I pretty much avoid all of it.

People who are mean to kids make me mad and I will take them on, head on, every time.

rebeccaC
11-09-2014, 09:13 AM
I only focus on being mad/angry long enough to see how I can move on in a personal positive way. My parents thought it important to help me develop emotional intelligence skills starting from an early age. I now look at difficult experiences as teachers that can help me sort through an angry feeling in a rational way and help me learn and apply positive strategies to resolve it. It’s now easier for me to do that than just let anger control my reaction.........i've learned that mindfulness and forgiveness can be worthwhile practices.

a perfect day for a ride to the farmers markets for some of next weeks food

Veronica
11-09-2014, 11:01 AM
My parents thought it important to help me develop emotional intelligence skills starting from an early age. I

It's too bad not all parents do that. I suspect it's kind of hard to teach those skills to 25 - 30 students at once. I wish I had a nickel for every time one of my students complained that someone was "staring" at them. And a buck for every day I have to deal with girl drama after lunch recess.

I couldn't get parents to come on a free field trip to the Exploratorium, so having on them work on their children's emotional well being isn't likely happen. "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."

Veronica

Crankin
11-09-2014, 11:08 AM
I'm kind of like Rebecca, is that I let it go very easily now. The mindfulness class helped (I have to be able to practice what I preach), but drama is developmentally the norm for 5th-8th graders. I spent most of my last few years of teaching "on the rug," with groups of girls. That's what led me to becoming a therapist. That, and the fact I loved the morning meeting/Responsive Classroom part of my day and the other teachers hated it. I get worried, though, when I hear about "drama" from the high schoolers and adults I see now...

Eden
11-09-2014, 05:34 PM
Those people that sit behind me in movie theaters. They make me mad. Every. Single. Time.

I'm cursed.

lol - we only go to the movies on a weeknight for the last show because other people in movie theaters usually drive me bananas - they talk, munch with much crunching and lip smacking on overly noisy foods (why the frick is *popcorn* a movie food anyway - I hate, hate, hate to have to listen to people crunching on it - even polite people can't really eat it quietly and mouth open chewers.. don't get me started), kick the back of your seat etc. etc… if you go on a Tuesday night for the last show often you have the theater to yourself -aaaaaah bliss.

ny biker
11-10-2014, 11:25 AM
lol - we only go to the movies on a weeknight for the last show because other people in movie theaters usually drive me bananas - they talk, munch with much crunching and lip smacking on overly noisy foods (why the frick is *popcorn* a movie food anyway - I hate, hate, hate to have to listen to people crunching on it - even polite people can't really eat it quietly and mouth open chewers.. don't get me started), kick the back of your seat etc. etc… if you go on a Tuesday night for the last show often you have the theater to yourself -aaaaaah bliss.

Monday night. You'll have the place to yourself.

I cannot stand when companies push out software updates that completely change the user interface and "fix" problems that didn't exist, ending up making the software harder to use than it was before. Perfect example: the google navigation app on my phone. Went from most brilliant app ever to totally useless of piece crap that drove me to buy a new Garmin Nuvi. Latest example: Amazon Kindle. Made the keyboard even worse than it was before, made email harder to use, basically turned it into a waste of $400 because now I'm back to using my phone and laptop instead of the kindle.

Also, people who drive below the speed limit in the left lane.

Blueberry
11-10-2014, 01:32 PM
Inconsiderate people on the bus. I have a long (30 minute) bus ride with biking on each end. Because someone rushed to put her bike on ahead of me, the front seats (where I don't get bus sick) were each occupied by 1 person (~6 seats). With 1 exception, each person sat on the aisle and barricaded the free seat. The other person spread her stuff out all over the seat. I had to stand for the ride.

ny biker
11-10-2014, 02:00 PM
Inconsiderate people on the bus. I have a long (30 minute) bus ride with biking on each end. Because someone rushed to put her bike on ahead of me, the front seats (where I don't get bus sick) were each occupied by 1 person (~6 seats). With 1 exception, each person sat on the aisle and barricaded the free seat. The other person spread her stuff out all over the seat. I had to stand for the ride.

I would not stand -- I would politely tell one of the people that I would like to sit in the window seat.