PDA

View Full Version : Electric Blankets?

Catrin
11-07-2014, 01:50 PM
Talk to me TE women! Do you have an electric blanket? Did it work out like you expected or did it wind up collecting dust in the closet after being dumped for a regular blanket? I need to purchase a blanket this year and am considering an inexpensive electric. I would consider an electric mattress cover but those appear to be outside my budget. I am becoming a cold-weather weenie...

OakLeaf
11-07-2014, 01:55 PM
I'm leery of the long term effects of electromagnetic radiation so close to the body.

My best recent purchase has been a Thermalon heating pad. It's stuffed with silica desiccant beads, so it absorbs moisture from the air and releases it to moist heat when you microwave it. Stays warm plenty long enough for me to get to sleep (and I'm ALWAYS freezing, especially at night, and it really interferes with my being able to sleep if I don't have a heating pad). And, it's washable! (Though you have to let it dry 24 hours, which can be a long time to go without a heating pad in winter ... you could always buy two, just like traveling with workout clothes, one to "wear" and one to wash!)

Pax
11-07-2014, 02:00 PM
Been using an electric blanket the last eight years or so, wouldn't be without one now. I don't like the feel of multiple heavy blankets, and with my sloooow metabolism as soon as I lay down to go to sleep at night my blood pressure, pulse, and body temperature all drop so much that I can't seem to warm up blankets or down comforter. So an electric blanket has been a lifesaver for me.

I will tell you, even though they are much safer than they used to be, they don't last very long, we get about two years out of one now before they start having large dead spots in them.

Helene2013
11-07-2014, 02:49 PM
I don't like over heating during my sleep. BUT I like to get in-between my bamboo sheets when my bed is not frozen.

So we have an electric heater mattress cover and also an over the top sheet electric blanket. Both are duo-control. So if I want no heat, hubby can turn up his side and it does not bother me that much and vice-versa.

We also have a mattress heater in the motorhome.

True it was an expensive purchase. I watched sales and jumped on them when it was on. I would never go without those anymore. In the summer, I remove the top one to put a lighter version - non-electric.

For my bed, the mattress pad has been there for a good 5-6 years and working great. The top one we've had for 2-3 years and does great.

heck...we even have electric floor heating for our ceramic tile floors. I love the cold, more than heat. But during the cold season, I prefer to walk on warmer floors, and getting into cozier sheets. I cannot sleep in flannel sheets or whatever other types of "warm" sheets. Too hot at some point during the night. With electric blankets, I can control when I want the heat - and it is just before entering my bed and turn it right off or when I feel really sick and appreciate some extra heat.

Crankin
11-07-2014, 03:21 PM
Electric blankets scare me to death. My close friend from elementary school's dad died in a house fire started by one. Yes, it was in the 80s, but still.
My progression of sleep materials: summer/early fall= really good cotton percale sheets with our down comforter. Ceiling fan (plus central air when needed) on from about March to early October.
mid-October to early December: the flannel sheets go on. This makes a huge difference. I do not get too hot with them.
Mid Dec.- mid March: add in a thermal, but lightweight blanket. The blanket comes off in March, and the flannel sheets usually go bye bye in April.
I would put on the ceiling fan if I needed to, in the winter, but the flannel sheets have eliminated the horrible freezing feeling you get when you jump into bed with cotton sheets.

roo4
11-07-2014, 04:30 PM
We have an electric mattress pad. Heavenly! Ours has dual controls, which I recommend if you are sharing the bed. I preheat my side, then turn it off when I am ready to sleep.

Jolt
11-07-2014, 04:49 PM
I tend to agree with Crankin...think they're a fire hazard and wouldn't want to use one. I have a quilt, a wool blanket and fleece sheets for the winter and this has been sufficient.

Pax
11-07-2014, 04:50 PM
The old ones definitely had fire issues, the new ones are all hi tech and fancy... and short lived. But still soooooo warm!

Catrin
11-07-2014, 04:55 PM
Hadn't thought about flannel sheets! I do have "pillows" filled with seed corn that I heat up in the microwave to toss between the sheets before bed, but of course that just provides spot warmth. I've a quilt, but it just isn't warm enough. I don't know why, but it seems like my bedroom has always been the coldest room in my apartment regardless of where I live, and I do live alone. In the summer all I have on my bed are the sheets, but we are past that now. I forget why I decided to dispose of my large blanket at the end of winter last year, but I need to replace it.

I am still a bit nervous over the idea of sleeping with an electric blanket. Perhaps I should explore both a set of flannel sheets and a thermal blanket to go with my not-very-warm comforter and still possibly pay less than for a decent electric blanket. I've my bed-warmer things, whatever you call those seed-corn "pillows" that I have, and I've used them for years, thankfully they don't "wear out" :cool:

Pax
11-07-2014, 04:58 PM
One thing you can do with an inexpensive twin sized electric blanket is turn it on a couple of hours before bed, on high, pre heat your bed and then turn it off.

Catrin
11-07-2014, 05:16 PM
One thing you can do with an inexpensive twin sized electric blanket is turn it on a couple of hours before bed, on high, pre heat your bed and then turn it off.

Hadn't thought about this option, something to consider!

Pax
11-07-2014, 05:21 PM
Hadn't thought about this option, something to consider!

It's heavenly getting into toasty warm sheets! Must be what it's like living in the tropics. :p

Catrin
11-07-2014, 06:05 PM
And certain colors are even less, I need to sleep on thus :)

ny biker
11-07-2014, 07:27 PM
Another vote for flannel sheets and down comforter. With a light cotton blanket in between.

When my parents visit I sleep on an air mattress on the living room floor and they use my bedroom (it's just a 1BR condo). It gets very cold on the floor in the winter. So I spread my fleece snuggie out on top of the flannel bottom sheet and sleep on that, and it's very comfortable. So I would recommend a fleece blanket underneath you as something else to consider.

lph
11-07-2014, 11:47 PM
Here in Norway electric blankets are unheard of. I've only seen them as a child, visiting my grandparents in the States. Down "dyne" all the way! I don't know if that's a duvet or a comforter, it's downfilled, puffy, and has a washable cover. We have a lightweight summer one and a heavier winter one which can only be used in the coldest winter months. My solution for freezing sheets in winter is to toss in an oldfashioned hot water bottle a little while in advance.

Catrin
11-08-2014, 02:44 AM
Thanks for all of the good comments, I will go with the flannel sheets and comforter with a light cotton blanket in between. I DO have allergies, but I don't remember any evidence of being allergic to down. I am sure that a true down comforter would be lighter/warmer than a "hypo-allergic" manufactured fill. Let the search begin :cool:

Crankin
11-08-2014, 02:58 AM
My down comforter can be washed. You just zip off the cover part. Of course, we've barely washed it in the 11 years we've had it, but I am better now about it. It's also very thin.

roo4
11-08-2014, 06:50 AM
Ugh, I cannot stand flannel sheets. I love the idea of them, but they are too hot and my cotton pjs cling to them.

Blueberry
11-08-2014, 07:09 AM
I've always wondered - where to featherbeds go? Do you put them on top of your bottom sheet? How do you keep them clean? Inquiring minds are curious!

Catrin
11-08-2014, 07:46 AM
I've always wondered - where to featherbeds go? Do you put them on top of your bottom sheet? How do you keep them clean? Inquiring minds are curious!

I seem to remember that my grandmother put the bottom sheet over the featherbed, but my memory could be wrong. I won't go this route unless I can't get warm other ways, I am a bit concerned that much down/feathers might get my allergies going, but we will see.

I am checking out local sources for comforters, my first stop was Kohl's. I DID get a thin Egyptian cotton blankie for a very good price, but will continue to shop around for both flannel sheets and a comforter, I suspect I will get the comforter online but it is worth the gas to check my local options. Kohl's hand a comforter that would have worked, but not at almost $200!!!!

I've had flannel sheets before and had forgotten about them for some reason. As I remember I liked them. Kohl's was obviously treating the twin size flannel sheets as a loss leader, the cost for full size sheets were more than double!

ny biker
11-08-2014, 07:55 AM
It might be worth going to Kohl's website and signing up for emails -- you might get special offers that would save you some money.

Ikea has some, though they all look pretty thin in the photos.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20271571/

I bought mine from LL Bean years ago. They're not cheap but they currently have a 10% off offer.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/507313?nav=ln-31&page=down-bedding

OakLeaf
11-08-2014, 08:05 AM
I am a bit concerned that much down/feathers might get my allergies going, but we will see.

Not really something you want to "see" about when you're talking about a big investment. Do you have a down vest or jacket you could wear continuously for a few days and see how you do? The only time in my life I've woken with paroxysmal nocturnal dyspnea was the last time I slept in a down sleeping bag. Trust me, it is NOT a good feeling.

Pax
11-08-2014, 08:08 AM
Not really something you want to "see" about when you're talking about a big investment. Do you have a down vest or jacket you could wear continuously for a few days and see how you do? The only time in my life I've woken with paroxysmal nocturnal dyspnea was the last time I slept in a down sleeping bag. Trust me, it is NOT a good feeling.

Same with my honey, no down pillows or comforters for us.

ny biker
11-08-2014, 08:10 AM
If down is an issue, multiple blankets can also work. It got pretty cold here last night, and I haven't taken the comforter out of its summer storage bag yet (nor have I put the flannel sheets on yet -- I still have the regular cotton sheets on the bed). I use a regular fleece blanket on top of my thin cotton blanket during the warmer months. I put a fleece throw and the snuggie on top of the cotton blanket and regular fleece blanket last night, and I was too warm.

Crankin
11-08-2014, 08:41 AM
I am allergic to goose feathers, but the down comforter doesn't bother me. Other feathers will make me itch almost immediately. I was quite concerned at first, but there's never been an issue, despite the fact that I react to lots of weird stuff that allergy tests haven't shown.

Catrin
11-08-2014, 08:43 AM
They also have down alternative comforters that I will check into. One of the reasons my asthma is almost nonexistent is I avoid triggers...
I may try the down, no feathers version, as long as I can return it. Something to look into.

Catrin
11-08-2014, 12:27 PM
I've looked this one before Murienn, and it has me interested. It isn't much more expensive than the others I've been looking at. I think, however, before I pull the trigger on this experiment, I am going to pick up another Egyptian cotton blankie or two and see how that works with my new flannel sheets. Thought about a microfiber velvet blanket but it is slick and I think would feel cold at first. It DOES get cold here, though I suppose we can't consider last winter as a normal winter - we got colder than Antarctica a couple of times...and they are already using those horrible words most of us learned last winter: "Polar Vortex".

My personal winterization efforts have expanded to stocking my pantry with a bottle of Barbencourt (4 year) Rum & decaff coffee, and an extra bottle of Port. Also new wool socks. New tires next week for my car, and last summer I got a sheepskin hat. Winter, bring it on!

Crankin
11-08-2014, 12:29 PM
Off topic here, but what Port did you end up buying?

Catrin
11-08-2014, 01:01 PM
Off topic here, but what Port did you end up buying?

As it is related to "winterization" I don't think it is off topic at all :cool:

I currently have two, both from Trader Joe's:

Porto Morgado Tawny Port (Aged 10 Years) probably the best 10 year aged Tawny out there for $11 :) I like this one
Just picked up a bottle of Quarles Harris 2008 (Late Bottled Vintage), which I am told is considered a good year - but it is only $12 at Trader Joe's. They do carry a $40 bottle of Port from Quarles Harris but I am not going there. I've not yet tried it, but will try it soon.

I find I really like Tawny Port - been curious about Ruby Port, but have been told since Ruby Port isn't aged at all that it is much sweeter...and the Tawny is sweet enough for me!

Crankin
11-08-2014, 02:42 PM
Very few grocery stores in MA are allowed to sell liquor, so my Trader Joe's does not. My local grocery store does, and we have a really good liquor store close, too. Based on your recommendations, I will be heading to Colonial Spirits tomorrow... everytime I say that, I think of my friend and former colleague who always says, "the bad boys in high school hung out at Colonial Spirits." This must have been when the drinking age was 18; I know by the time my kids got to the high school, they did not hang out there!
We belong to a wine club and get wine every month through that, so it's pretty rare for me to go to the liquor store.

DebSP
11-08-2014, 03:23 PM
I considered getting a wool filled duvet at one point. I ended up getting a polyester fill duvet with a duvet cover. (We call the actual comforter the duvet ). I purchased a down filled blanket. Yes they really labelled it a blanket. I only have a problem with cool sheets for my feet which are usually cold. I use a "Magic Bag" (oatmeal filled/heat in microwave) for my feet. I like the fact that it cools down and doesn't add heat all night. Gotta love night sweats. I have a flannel sheets just loose on top of me. If I get too hot I can pull it out and toss it aside. It is just a flat single.

Catrin
11-08-2014, 05:00 PM
I considered getting a wool filled duvet at one point. I ended up getting a polyester fill duvet with a duvet cover. (We call the actual comforter the duvet ). I purchased a down filled blanket. Yes they really labelled it a blanket. I only have a problem with cool sheets for my feet which are usually cold. I use a "Magic Bag" (oatmeal filled/heat in microwave) for my feet. I like the fact that it cools down and doesn't add heat all night. Gotta love night sweats. I have a flannel sheets just loose on top of me. If I get too hot I can pull it out and toss it aside. It is just a flat single.

Unsure if what I already have is a "quilt" or a synthetic "comforter", but it isn't warm outside of July. As I recall it was originally one of those "bed in a bag" things, I DO like the design of it. It just isn't warm. It will be interesting to see what it will be like with the addition of a better blanket and flannel sheets. One nice thing about this approach is it is easy to change the number of blankets. We will see, I've decided that I don't actually have to be cold - it's just been a result of being cheap :o

Catrin
11-09-2014, 03:57 AM
Very few grocery stores in MA are allowed to sell liquor, so my Trader Joe's does not. My local grocery store does, and we have a really good liquor store close, too. Based on your recommendations, I will be heading to Colonial Spirits tomorrow... everytime I say that, I think of my friend and former colleague who always says, "the bad boys in high school hung out at Colonial Spirits." This must have been when the drinking age was 18; I know by the time my kids got to the high school, they did not hang out there!
We belong to a wine club and get wine every month through that, so it's pretty rare for me to go to the liquor store.

Crankin - in Indiana grocery stores may sell wine and beer - but it can't be cold. Anything else must come from the liquor store, and many of the local stores have a limited choice. We do have a couple of specialty liquor stores that carry a nice variety of fortified wines and liqueurs. Well, they all can't have the same stock but it would be nice if the good place was less than a 30 minute drive from my apartment. Perhaps that is a good thing :-) I DID try the 3-star (4 year) Barbancourt Rum last night, very nice. When that bottle is empty I will try the 5-star (8 year).

Crankin
11-09-2014, 04:18 AM
Very good, Catrin. You'd fit right in with myself and my cycling friends!
The worst liquor buying situation I've lived in was in PA. There's state stores, but I remember that I had to go into an actual bar to buy beer, and that was a little scary to me. It was really weird. Like you couldn't buy beer and wine at the state store. Of course, this was in the 70s, so my memory is hazy, and it may have changed since then.

Pax
11-09-2014, 04:29 AM
Very good, Catrin. You'd fit right in with myself and my cycling friends!
The worst liquor buying situation I've lived in was in PA. There's state stores, but I remember that I had to go into an actual bar to buy beer, and that was a little scary to me. It was really weird. Like you couldn't buy beer and wine at the state store. Of course, this was in the 70s, so my memory is hazy, and it may have changed since then.
I have friends who moved to PA a few years ago, it's still a very strange place to try and buy alcohol. When they come home to visit the buy stuff by the case to take home.

Blueberry
11-09-2014, 05:06 AM
One of our local runs had beer. The problem was that the run was on Sunday morning - so they couldn't *sell* beer according to our blue laws. They gave it away:D I have friends who really enjoyed that!

OakLeaf
11-09-2014, 05:31 AM
And in North Carolina, carryouts can't sell beer on Sundays, but bars can pour all week long. So as long as you're driving, it's just fine to drink on Sundays. :mad:

Crankin
11-09-2014, 07:04 AM
You couldn't buy alcohol on Sunday in MA until about ten years ago. There was an exception for towns that were within 10 miles of the NH border (so they didn't lose business) which started sometime in the early 90s, and when I first moved here, I lived within that 10 mile radius. Heck, stores weren't even open on Sundays in 1990.
So, now we're fully alcohol legal and they just changed the opening hour/serving hour on Sundays from noon to 10 AM. I guess brunch business was being affected. Money talks.
One of the issues here has been the strong lobby of the liquor store owners, who are, let's just say not the most savory group of people. A couple of years ago they finally changed the law, to allow delivery of alcohol from other states (i.e. wine clubs), but forgot about the truckers/shippers who had their own rules about this. The shippers wanted each individual driver to have a special license. Another sort of sketchy group, with Teamster/organized crime connections (I have a foster parent of a client who was on the bad end of this group, not just making this up). The legislature just remedied it, I think it will change in 2015. Our wine club got around this, by having a legal distributor in the state. So the club ships it there, and then they ship to us.
About 15 years ago, we found a wine we loved at a winery on the south coast. We couldn't even have them ship us the wine! We had the liquor store order it for us and then we bought it there... of course, now, we ride past this winery on one of our most beloved rides, and always include a stop here on the way home in the car.

Catrin
11-09-2014, 08:21 AM
Just order a few cases of brandy, and forget the new blanket. Problem solved.

That is funny Murienn :-) I do appreciate all of the good suggestions that you, and everyone has made. If my current course doesn't prove to be warm enough for me, then thanks to your links I already know which one I would purchase.

The new blanket and flannel sheets with my usual quilt/comforter/whatever-it-is was MUCH warmer last night. Indeed, I had to kick my seed-corn foot warmer out of the bed after about 4 minutes. I will wait to add to my blanket collection until it is colder, but I got the best night's sleep that I've had in a long time. Apparently my cold room has been affecting my sleep far more than I had realized, I thought it was stress! I only had about a 3/4 shot of the rum 6 hours before bed between a sip and some decaff so I can't credit it on that :cool:

In Indiana there is currently a move to allow cold beer sales in grocery stores and to all non-restaurant/non-brewery sales on Sunday. I can understand the liquor store's resistance to the former as there are far more grocery/convenience stores than there are actual liquor stores and this would impact their sales further. I am less clear of their opposition to Sunday sales - the best I can understand is they feel this would force them to open on Sundays to try and compete with the grocers, whether they want to or not, and thus increase their operating cost. Considering some of the best liquor stores in Indianapolis are family operations and not chain stores I can see part of that. The chain stores appear to have the smallest selection and focus on cheap - at least that is how it seems to me. Personally I am agnostic on both questions as I can equally argue both sides. It will interesting to see if/how this develops.

Blueberry
11-09-2014, 02:10 PM
And in North Carolina, carryouts can't sell beer on Sundays, but bars can pour all week long. So as long as you're driving, it's just fine to drink on Sundays. :mad:

Nope - I think it's changed! You can buy beer after noon (in most counties) - and bars can serve after noon. No one can do anything before that.

OakLeaf
11-10-2014, 03:22 AM
Well that's one good thing then!

solobiker
11-15-2014, 04:37 PM
This is what we do and I love it...It is a sad night for me when I forget to do it. :-)

shootingstar
11-15-2014, 05:43 PM
I didn't realize electric blankets still existed.

No, I just prefer to pile on an extra blanket...which I don't need to since I have my place heated enough. I'm walking around in shorts at home now and it's at least -18 degrees C tonight. I worked for a provincial fire marshal's office for nearly a decade....yea, electric blanket fires awhile ago. I have no idea how they are constructed now...but still wouldn't do it.

Catrin
11-15-2014, 06:12 PM
It doesn't matter how warm my apartment is, I get COLD when I go to bed. I have always been that way. So far I've only added one blanket and switched to flannel sheets which has helped quite a bit, but yeah, I can see another blankie being added...

VeganBikeChick
11-15-2014, 06:23 PM
I had the best idea this morning when I biked home from work in the freezing cold after an overnight shift. Took the blanket off the back of the couch, threw it in the dryer and ran the dryer while I ate breakfast. Then went to bed with my super warm blanket and fell asleep immediately. Best idea ever.

solobiker
11-23-2014, 05:05 PM
When I forget to turn it on. Once I am cold I am cold and I have a hard time warming myself up without moving around...which I am not doing if I am trying to sleep. I pretty much freeze once I stop biking, x-country skiing this time of year so I pretty much do not stop until I get back to the car or back to home.

Verifirs
01-07-2015, 10:27 PM
Sunbeam BW1213-030-470 Heated Electric Microplush Blanket queen size is the latest best electric blanket brand (http://www.electricblanketshq.com/) known to me so far.. It has exclusive warming system senses and adjusts to deliver consistent warmth.. This blanket is very soft. It feels like 2 thin blankets with the heating wires between them. It has a lightweight feel, but heats up very quickly and keeps us both warm throughout the night even at a low setting..

Flirty&Fit
10-15-2015, 11:23 PM
I realise that this is a bit of an older thread, but I would advise any new readers coming across this to stay away from electric blankets. I would stick to a duvet, and if desired, put a hot water bottle at the bottom of your bed to warm up where your feet will be before you go to bed.

The reason I say stay away from electric blankets is because the electricity will actually interfere with sleep quality. Electromagnetic fields interrupt your body's natural phases of sleep. I came across this because I was having serious insomnia problems and went to two sleep clinics to get some answers. Along with encouraging me to have a very strict sleep routine, the obviously told me to eliminate caffiene intake after 3pm, do not eat and especially don't drink any alcohol past 8pm, exercise and heated activities (like a hot bath or shower) should not be performed within 2 hours of going to bed to allow heart rate and body temperature to return to a natural resting state (note: the heated blanket will increase heart rate with body temperature - ideal sleeping temperature is 68°F or 20°C). They also cautioned to remove all electronics from my bedroom, and proceeded to explain to me how this affects sleep. Coming from a generation that uses thier phone for everything, it was my alarm and was always within arms reach. Apparently this is a terrible practice for a healthy sleep routine.

Everyone is different and so are their sensitivities. Ultimately do what works best for you, but keep in mind that even if you are warm, if it is going to keep you awake or reduce your quality of sleep, it is probably not worth it.

See some of these articles:
http://www.electricsense.com/988/where-is-the-place-you-absolutely-must-start-if-you-want-to-protect-yourself-from-electromagnetic-radiation/
http://www.esdjournal.com/articles/cober/ground.htm
http://www.earthcalm.com/having-trouble-sleeping-may-be-an-emf-health-effect