PDA

View Full Version : Boston Bike Show

DebW
02-28-2006, 10:01 AM
Anybody going to the Boston Bike Show? Anybody been before? Is it worth it?

http://bicycleshows.us/boston/index.php

Show dates & times:
Friday March 10
Saturday March 11
Sunday March 12

The Cyclorama at the Boston Center for the Arts
539 Tremont Street

Asphaltgirl
02-28-2006, 11:27 AM
gonna make it my belated birthday Boston weekend! figured DH and I would go on Friday and get in the last night of Restaurant Week and stay at the Fairmont Copley! (hey, you don't turn 58 every year--thank god!!). putting the bike rack on the car----just in case!
Barbara from the Berkshires

Surlygirl
02-28-2006, 11:38 AM
Finn and I may go. What a great idea Asphaltgirl. My hubby's B-day is the 8th so maybe I should plan a birthday weekend. Would make shopping for his Birthday easy. Just follow him around the bike show. :D

Maybe we should plan a meet and greet at one of the booths at a certain time.

massbikebabe
02-28-2006, 12:06 PM
I will be away visiting baby sister, but hubby and son will probably go. We went last year, it was o.k. Spent most of my time with the Polar Rep. and looking thru the clothing that Longs brings. It is a nice way to spend an afternoon looking at all the hot new bikes, etc. Just be careful because they set up a bike track around the perimeter of the event and some kids come whizzing around the corners. Save yourself a few bucks and print out the coupons from the site;)

karen

DeniseGoldberg
02-28-2006, 12:08 PM
I went to one of these many years ago and didn't really think it was worth the time. That said, it was a long time ago and it's very possible that my reaction just doesn't apply to the current version of this show.

--- Denise

SpinSis
02-28-2006, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the reminder. I may try to go, but not sure which day. I'll keep my eyes peeled for other TE ladies--we need hats!

I wish I could remember where I saw this, but...I saw a promotion at some bike website where if you brought a reciept showing you had spent $100, you could get into the bike show for free. Performance Bike? Nashbar? REI? Those are my usual haunts, other than here...

-stacy

Crankin
02-28-2006, 01:34 PM
I went last yr. and was disappointed. We did have dinner at a great restaurant nearby...

Robyn

newfsmith
02-28-2006, 05:01 PM
I went once. I was a little disappointed that so much of the floor space was taken by local shops, but it was nice to see the Burley commuting bikes, and to be able to plant the bug that they need to make them in smaller sizes as well. From the way I was treated, if I ever get a custom, it will be a Seven. Their rep was really nice, and gave some great feed back on the design of commuting bikes. I'll take a look at the site this year, may be it is time to give it another shot. Overall I was most disappointed that the show did not give the consumer a chance to see any of the new stuff that came out at the previous Interbike, and I found the accessory range quite limited. But it was fun to watch some of the home built chopper bikes.

wavedancer
02-28-2006, 06:46 PM
gonna make it my belated birthday Boston weekend! figured DH and I would go on Friday and get in the last night of Restaurant Week and stay at the Fairmont Copley! (hey, you don't turn 58 every year--thank god!!). putting the bike rack on the car----just in case!
Barbara from the Berkshires

Hey! It's my after-birthday weekend, too. It would be fun to catch up with any other TE folks that might be there. Seems like mixed reviews from those who have gone before, but it might be fun as part of a Boston weekend.

Linda

Asphaltgirl
03-01-2006, 06:20 AM
awful lot of March birthdays! (mine's this friday March 3!) Does sound like a mixed review of the show but I'd find any excuse to leave the far west of this state and get into the city! plus it looks like the Science Museum has an IMAX program called "Wired to Win", Surviving the Tour de France that sounds really interesting. if nothing else lunch at the Border Cafe/Cambridge makes me very happy!

Well, we could all wear our TE bike shirts....a bit cool for the season but it might be better than purple feathered boas!
~AG~

DebW
03-11-2006, 02:13 PM
I'm going to the show tomorrow (Sunday) about 12-3. I want to catch the 1:00 seminar "Ti Vs. Carbon Vs. Steel -- Which Is Best for Your Frame?" I'll probably be wearing a fanny pack with a big reflector triangle strapped on it, so say hi if you're there.

Asphaltgirl
03-12-2006, 05:04 AM
We went on Friday night and I was a bit disappointed. I guess that I was expecting a few more venders and some "show" price bargains and didn't see anything that caught my eye. according to their web site there were 70 plus venders who had signed up and unless they all showed up on Saturday morning there sure weren't 70 there on Friday night. but the weather was absolutely wonderful and the Fairmont has to be one of my favorite Boston hotels...especially when you get to pet Caty the dog!
Barbara
~AG~

Surlygirl
03-12-2006, 05:49 AM
Bummer Asphalt girl. DH and I decided that we would go for a bike ride rather that venture into Boston for the day, so that is what we did. It was gorgeous and I managed to ride up my old nemesis Hill St. so I was psyched. All that trainer riding wasn't wasted. Now I need to get out before it rains.
Oh and hope you had a Happy Birthday even if you didn't find anything at the bike show.

Asphaltgirl
03-12-2006, 06:38 AM
don't you just love conquering those nemesis hills! there are a few back here that still intimidate me but my riding goals for this season are to tackle them and get over the top--but it sure would be more fun with a new ride! but the season is early and the credit card isn't maxed out yet!!

thanks for the Birthday wishes-still hard to realize that I'm 58 but doing things that that my parent's generation would have never done at this age. it was also a wonderful time to reconnect with my DH and to be thankful that the goddesses have given me many blessings. life is good--especially with a downhill tail wind!

~AG~

wavedancer
03-12-2006, 07:20 AM
We did venture to the show yesterday, and to the IMAX "Wired to Win" show. The bike show was a little sparse on vendors, but I did find some birthday jerseys and some Sidi Doms at a great price :D

The IMAX film was pretty cool...great shots of the peloton in the alps...

Hope we can out to ride today, not as sunny and perfect, but should be in the 50's.

Surlygirl
03-12-2006, 08:29 AM
Just got back from a short 13 mile ride, the wind was picking up and its raining now but the temp wasn't to bad.

Have any of you guys done the ride across Maine from Sunday River to Rockland? Sounds like it might be a fun ride.

Crankin
03-12-2006, 12:43 PM
That does sound like fun, Jodi. I haven't spent too much time in Maine, but I have really loved what I've seen.
OK, rode 25.5 miles yesterday. It felt like I've never been on a bike! I certainly have been exercising this winter, but with the lack of snow and no X country skiing, I guess has put me in worse shape. Plus, living in a hillier area now is making my average go down. I guess I'll get stronger from the hills; right now I feel like a wimp. Today, we had to go somewhere in the AM and when we decided to go out for a short 15 mile ride afterwards, it looked really threatening, so we walked instead.
There's always next weekend!

DebW
03-12-2006, 12:51 PM
I did a 28 mile ride yesterday. Did go to the Bike show today for about 2 hours. As you all said, a bit disappointing.

SpinSis
03-13-2006, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the updates on the bike show--I opted not to go in order to help BF empty out his kitchen for demo/remodeling. And now I'm glad I didn't go--sounds like it was mediocre. I did get a 19 mile bike ride on Saturday though. And I was definitely dragging but I love that even when I am at my lowest fitness level, I can still have fun and be on the bike for awhile anyway!

No, I haven't done that ride in Maine...are there details about it somewhere? I'm guessing it's under our NE century thread... It should be pretty nice scenery but not sure what the roads will be like--even with low snow counts, the frost heaves are plentiful down in Southern Maine, at least, near my folks. Which means interesting potholes and cracks come summer on some rural routes...