PDA

View Full Version : Wet cold gross weather pants

mars
02-27-2006, 07:40 AM
Anyone have advice on good pants for midwest (Chicago) slush and wet conditions? I now use my Patagonia rain pants over fleece, or over my cycling pants. But they are baggy and slippery. Would like to find something that is fleece lined, but waterproof on the outside, and with a snug fit.

Nanci
02-27-2006, 11:05 AM
I have Performance Women's Triflex Tights: (on sale for $55)

"Our warmest tights! Six strategically placed panels of windproof, waterproof Triflex and breathable, heavyweight brushed Dryline. The entire front, crotch and rear center panels are completely windproof, and lighter rear and waist panels help dissipate heat. Articulated, anatomic knee panel, banded waist with drawcord, leg zippers with reflective piping, gripper elastic openings. Black (BLK). Sizes: S(24-26), M(27-29), L(30-32), XL(32-34). USA. Compare at $100."

They are _very_ warm, but _very_ breathable. I love them. They are _pretty_ water-resistant, but for hours in a downpour, I am still looking for something totally waterproof. Right now I have REI Novarra Stratus Womens Rain Pants (cycling-specific) but it of course hasn't rained since I got them, except for the one time I decided not to wear pack them for a Century. They seem very nice, but would not be very warm without tights underneath. I'm going to write a review if it ever rains again.

If I were you, I'd try the Triflex tights, and see if they are enough. They are _very_ versatile for just cold in general, and very comfortable. I wear them over any bike shorts, because they have no chamois. I have never been cold in them, but I have only worn them in the upper 30's, up to the mid-60's. (Where they are very warm, but not unbearable if you don't have anywhere to put them if you take them off.)

PS, let me know if you find the _perfect_ pants!

Nanci

sydney_b
02-27-2006, 11:06 AM
Anyone have advice on good pants for midwest (Chicago) slush and wet conditions? I now use my Patagonia rain pants over fleece, or over my cycling pants. But they are baggy and slippery. Would like to find something that is fleece lined, but waterproof on the outside, and with a snug fit.

I really dislike rain pants, so it's got to be pretty wet and cold before I put them on. For now, I'm using my Pearl Izumi Amphib tights. They're highly water and wind resistant and on the fronts, so your thighs and shins are protected but the rest of your leg can breath. I really like them, but I have a friend who hates them, but what does he know? ;)

http://womenspecific.com/cycling/16/pearl-izumi-amphib

mars
02-27-2006, 11:27 AM
Thanks, very good info. My problem with the pants that are waterproof only in the front is that my rear is what gets the most water from the road. Sure I could put a fender on but that would be too easy.

mars
02-28-2006, 04:24 AM
I made the move last night because there seemed to be a love connection when I saw these Craft Storm Pants, and they were 40% off. They will be good for running and xc skiing too. Wind protection panels on the front, inside is fleece. I will report back once I try them out on the mean streets of Chicago.

sydney_b
02-28-2006, 07:13 PM
Thanks, very good info. My problem with the pants that are waterproof only in the front is that my rear is what gets the most water from the road. Sure I could put a fender on but that would be too easy.

:D

I didn't think of that. My bikes all have fenders so it didn't even cross my mind there would be bikes w/o. Do post a review of whatever you find that works.

:p