PDA

View Full Version : blistering after a long ride

trigrl
06-26-2003, 10:48 PM
Iam getting increasingly more uncomfortable with long rides 65miles + mainly due to crotch blistering & ingrowns.
Waxing, I'm not sure makes it better or worse. Any ideas?
Do the guys get this problem too?
I've got the T. Butterfly saddle, ride in Zoot & Mizuno ultra sensors but still have problems.

IronHorse213
06-27-2003, 06:55 AM
Hi Trigirl,

Welcome to the list! this is a great place to find help and support , glad you've joined on. Yeah, men get that problem too - it's nasty! there are some things you can do to avoid or help avoid it:

1) always wear clean shorts (do you know you are not supposed to wear undies under riding shorts? I ask becuase a friend didn't, though she's been cycling for years in cycling shorts)

2) use chamois butter liberally on the chamois of your shorts - it washes out bette than vaseline and lubrecates the area of irratation. Most bike stores carry it - Bag Balm is another product that folks use.

3) wash seat (yours, not bikes) immediately after a ride with anit-bacterials soap and put on clean underthings. Some suggest washing before and after.

4) don't hang out in wet shorts - change asap after a ride, clean and dry off...

Good luck!

'calla

IronHorse213
06-27-2003, 06:56 AM
ops, sorry to have misspelled your name - trigrl!

Susan126
06-27-2003, 07:10 AM
I am lucky as I found my saddle after going through only one bad one. My present saddle is so comfy, even after completing a double century this past May I felt great, tired, but great afterwards. I ride on a woman's specialized Dolce Saddle. There are two versions the more expensive Dolce Ti Saddle and the plain Dolce Saddle. Both are all leather with women specific cutouts. The Ti of course comes with Titanium rails, which are lighter and dampen road vibrations. I have the plain saddle that comes with the hollow cr-mol rails. When this one finally wears out I may try the ti saddle. A lot of my friends have gone through saddle after saddle trying to find one that is comfortable. I guess it's just a matter of finding the one that is right for you and I lucked out finding mine on the second try. My first saddle was a bontrager and it rubbed me raw! So I know what you are going through. For me it was the saddle that finally gave my butt peace!

Sue

Women's Dolce Saddles (http://www.specialized.com/SBCEqSection.jsp?san=03EquipSaddlesWomens&browselevel=saddles)

Veronica
06-27-2003, 07:29 AM
I agree - finding the right saddle for you is key. There should be no pressure on your folds when you ride. I have a Brooks Finesse on both my road bike and tandem. I've done about ten mile rides on each wearing regular clothes - that's how comfortable it is. For longer rides I do wear bike shorts.:p

Wallingford Bike has a six month return policy on their Brooks saddles. If it doesn't work for you can send it back - no questions asked.

Good luck in your search.

Veronica

trigrl
06-27-2003, 12:02 PM
Thanks Ladies,
A process of elimination on your list of tips tells me
1) Its time to try another saddle preferable the Brooks Finesse, (I've tried to Dolce no luck)
2) slather down regardless of the distance!!

thiv_md
07-02-2003, 01:49 PM
From a guys standpoint, yes, we do encounter that too. Mind you, I don't wax that area. Shave with a Venus. But if I ride the day I shave or the day after, I can expect several ingrown hairs. My only suggestion would be to plan to shave on your off-days. Give the hair that extra time to come back through the skin before sitting for so long.
Do you have any suggestions for us guys?

Veronica
07-02-2003, 02:47 PM
Try exfoliating gently after you shave with an apricot scrub.

Veronica