PDA

View Full Version : Hit and Killed

Nanci
02-27-2006, 04:21 AM
Another cyclist here was hit by a motorcycle while trying to cross a highway, and killed. He is not yet identified. Both riders on the bike were killed, too. One had a helmet, but it flew off.

Be careful crossing roads.

Nanci

slinkedog
02-27-2006, 07:49 AM
Where did this happen?

Nanci
02-27-2006, 08:01 AM
Saturday late afternoon, northwest of Gainesville, FL.

I would like to add that my point of posting this is just to remind people to be careful. I was out in this area Saturday, too, and stopped at a crossing, and waited what seemed like forever for a break in traffic, which did eventually come.

It's probably not the motorcyclists' fault. Probably the bike crossed and thought he had enough time. But he didn't, and three lives were lost (I feel bad for the motorcyclists, too) and maybe if he would have waited for a better time, it wouldn't have happened.

Oh, and since the cyclist didn't have ID, the police are having a hard time figuring out who he even is.

Nanci

bikerHen
03-05-2006, 06:36 PM
I don't know if I'm committing a major cycling faux pas, but . . . if I have to cross a really busy road/highway without a stop light I find it much safer to get off and walk/run across when there is a break in traffic. I just feel like I have better timing and more control when I'm on my own two feet. :o BikerHen

Melody
03-05-2006, 08:45 PM
I don't know if I'm committing a major cycling faux pas, but . . . if I have to cross a really busy road/highway without a stop light I find it much safer to get off and walk/run across when there is a break in traffic. I just feel like I have better timing and more control when I'm on my own two feet. :o BikerHen

I personally don't think this is a faux pas. There are many times where I need to make a left hand turn at a light on a busy 6 lane road (3 in each direction not including the turn lane) from a bicycle lane. If I can do this safely, I signal and do this early enough that I'm not having to suddenly weave to get to the turn lane.

However, if it is unsafe or if I think it is even remotely unsafe I'll do one of several things.

1) I'll stay in the bike lane past the intersection I wanted to turn at. If there's a gas station or a parking lot that also connects the perpendicular road I'll go into the lot and use it like a big 270 turn so I can end up in the correct facing bike lane.
2) if there is nothing at the corner but there's a crosswalk I'll signal I'm stopping and stop just after I pass the intersection and get off the bike. I'll then walk the bike across the intersection in the crosswalk.
3) if there is no safe method of crossing at this intersection, I'll pass it and go onto the next looking for a safe way to get across.

What I personally try to do is act like a car as much as I can, signaling, turning correctly, waiting behind other cars who are turning, etc. I use bike lanes if they're provided but if not and the lane isn't safe enough to be in with a car I'll take up the whole lane. If the lane is wide enough where cars can pass safely, I'll move over to the right as close as I can be to the curb without compromising my safety.

This means that in situations where there's cars parked along the curb, I don't duck close to the curb between cars but will instead stay farther away from the curb alongside the parked cars so people see me.

It does mean that at times I don't make as good of a time commuting as I could by taking short cuts but those short cuts are meaning less if they get me killed.

Mel

Trekhawk
03-05-2006, 09:19 PM

I dont think thats a faux pas. I went on a ride recommended by the LBS the other day and they gave me a map of the route. One of the notes at the bottom said you may need to walk your bike across highway 49.:)

Brandi
03-06-2006, 07:02 AM
You know whatever keeps you and your body out of harms way is in no way wronge!! My elmit is off to all those people who are extra careful!
It is when we get to self confident in our abilities that accidents can happen too.
I try and always be aware of what other drivers are doing if for any reason at all I don't like what they are doing I will stop in my tracks and let them pass or whatever. I hate it when you get someone behind you in a car and they won't pass you even though they can. It is usually a elderly person. But I will stop and wave them past.

Geonz
03-17-2006, 02:13 PM
Seriously... if it works for *you* - and it's not based on a false premise - then it works.

brittamac
05-09-2006, 04:45 PM
Oh, and since the cyclist didn't have ID, the police are having a hard time figuring out who he even is.

Nanci

Nanci - I want to highlight what you just said - the cyclist didnt have ID. I read somewhere that 750,000 people in the US are taken unconscious to the ER every year with no ID after being involved in an accident while doing fun outdoor things.

Ladies! Get ID - go to ROADID.com and have ID tags made. They make bracelets and little slip-onto-your-shoes-with-velcro thingies. I have them on every pair of running and trail shoes and cycling shoes that i own. You can have your name, address, phone, emergency contact, allergies, whatever engraved into them. $20.

If I get hit by a car, I want someone to know who i am right away, and to call someone who knows me.

Nanci
05-10-2006, 03:47 AM
This incident caused me to get a Road ID. I got the ankle kind. I love it. I feel much safer with it on. I keep it on the pod my helmet lives in, so I never forget it.

Nanci

Lise
05-10-2006, 04:02 AM
This incident caused me to get a Road ID. I got the ankle kind. I love it. I feel much safer with it on. I keep it on the pod my helmet lives in, so I never forget it.

Nanci
I've got one on my running shoes, one on my biking shoes, and a dog tag one. When they send you the tag, the invoice has the info that you put on the tag. I cut out that little piece, laminated it with some clear packing tape, and put one inside my biking & running jackets. I will not be a Jane Doe.

DeniseGoldberg
05-10-2006, 04:40 AM
I've got one on my running shoes, one on my biking shoes, and a dog tag one.
I'm so glad to hear that I am not the only person who has more than one RoadID - I thought maybe I was being excessive. I guess not! I have a shoe ID on each of 2 pairs of running shoes, one at the office and one at home. And I wear the Fixx (dog tag, on a chain around my neck) for cycling.
--- Denise

Melody
05-10-2006, 05:30 AM
I have to say that I only have a single piece of ID on me (it's not a RoadID but a MedicAlert bracelet), however, it _never_ comes off of my wrist. In fact, getting it off is a major pain in the butt, even with the help of someone else. I shower, swim, exercise, etc with it on.

Drives my husband nuts though since it's metal it is also cold. *evil cackle* ;)

Mel

JoyfullySo
05-10-2006, 06:02 AM
Does anyone have up-to-date information on the Road ID website? I made several attempts to access the site, but kept recieving a message that the site was unavailable.

Thanks!

PS... Nevermind, I called and they said the site was being updated the other day.....

bikerchick68
05-10-2006, 12:38 PM
what a tragedy... :( my commute route has 4 on/off ramps to cross... I am VERY careful there... vehicles are doing 65mph and I'm doing 17mph...:eek: and in my mind anything that keeps you ALIVE is not a fauxpas! If I'm somewhere where it's safer to walk, I'll be walking!

yep, I wear the dogtag one around my neck as well... I also photcopied my drivers license, police ID and my medical insurance card.... they are in a ziploc bag in my seatbag! once they have my insurance card they can pull up my blood type and med history... plus IF I forget to grab my license when I leave for a ride, I know I have it with me there in the seatbag! (I keep hoping to get a speeding ticket on the bike...LOL)

Lise
05-10-2006, 01:08 PM
I'm so glad to hear that I am not the only person who has more than one RoadID - I thought maybe I was being excessive. I guess not! I have a shoe ID on each of 2 pairs of running shoes, one at the office and one at home. And I wear the Fixx (dog tag, on a chain around my neck) for cycling.
--- Denise
Yep, I'm thinking I need just one more, for my second pair of running shoes. At this point I am down to one pair, having just retired the older pair. I guess I really got the Fixx for when I'm running in shoes that don't have the tag...maybe we're excessive, but we will be identifiable! ;)

laura lamar
05-11-2006, 08:57 AM
I have copies of my Advance Directives (gives instructions on who will make medical decisions for me if I am unable and what my wishes are regarding those decisions), insurance card, and next of kin information taped to my helmet. Living in a major city, I know that if I am incapacitated while riding, my bike and backpack will disappear very soon. Laura

brittamac
05-11-2006, 05:58 PM
:) i'm so glad to see so many other women keeping their ID on them! I think its a great idea to put a copy of your license and insurance in your toolkit. I get a lot of comments at road races from people about my RoadID, and it always makes me feel a little more confident on the road.

marapets
05-15-2006, 01:11 PM
omg thats ashame. take care everyone

light_sabe_r
06-20-2006, 08:09 PM
:) i'm so glad to see so many other women keeping their ID on them! I think its a great idea to put a copy of your license and insurance in your toolkit. I get a lot of comments at road races from people about my RoadID, and it always makes me feel a little more confident on the road.

When I've been riding I've got my liscence and my phone in a zip pocket on my shirt... but that road ID thing sounds awesome...

Wonder if there's a similar service in Australia... Hmmmm.... I got some searching to do.