PDA

View Full Version : Zion Country Century

yellow
02-26-2006, 03:12 PM
I rode the Zion Country Century along with AuntieK and CyclaSutra yesterday. This C is in southern Utah, starting in St George, going up to the entrance to Zion National Park in Springdale, and then back down again. You can see AutieK's report here (http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=5370).

Now we've been freezing in northern UT (AuntieK and Yellow) and WY (CyclaSutra) for several months so we were all looking forward to riding without Michelin Man outfits. We were not disappointed with the weather!

CyclaSutra drove to my place in Salt Lake Thursday night from Jackson Hole, WY (5 hour drive! Oy!). After a power breakfast and dog walk, we hit the road. It took us about 5 hours to get to St George and when we got there...70 degrees! Woo hoo! We were both very happy to be warm. We went for a little 6-ish mile spin around town, had dinner, and retired to our respective accommodations (me: Crystal Inn; CS: funky B&B run by a crazy lady).

The ride has a mass start the next am and even though it was late-ish (8:30) it was still only about 35 degrees. Luckily they SAG-ged clothes for the riders so we were able to shed as it warmed up.

After the little town of Hurricane, pronounced "Her-kin", the route climbed up and over a ridge and then followed the Virgin River to the Park. That's where it really got purty. I managed to hook up with a couple of really nice guys from Idaho and we rode together pretty much the whole time. Lucky for me they pulled me along on the flatter stretches that had some (but not alot of) wind. Here I am at the turnaround point at the park. According to one of my new friends, the temp here was 72 degrees F! :D

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1/tasdan/Rides/Sue_Gate.jpg

The lunch stop was after the turnaround and I ran into CyclaSutra (we had split up earlier). Here she is (sorry about the "busy" background). She wanted to make sure I took this picture so she could recall and prove her exposure to the sun!

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1/tasdan/Rides/Johanna_sun.jpg

On the return we ran into a gal that had flatted and didn't have a tube, so one of my new friends helped her out and gave her his tube. 10 minutes later he acquired an industrial-strength staple in his tire, so I ended up giving him my tube. We still had one tube between the 3 of us (I also had patches) but luckily we didn't need it. Whew!

Final picture, me with my new friends (I told them to come looking for this picture here!). It was a good ride. I felt better than I thought I would, but I think that's because I did a lot of wheel sucking.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1/tasdan/Rides/Idaho_friends.jpg

tprevost
02-26-2006, 04:57 PM
Yellow,

What a great report! AND, love those pics... WOW what a gorgeous ride! I think I read that CycleSutra is doing LRRH too so I look forward to meeting you both! (and AuntieK too if you're going!)

Tracy

Veronica
02-26-2006, 05:07 PM
You look great Sue! I love Zion. So glad you had some warm weather.

V.

SadieKate
02-26-2006, 06:12 PM
Woohoo! You did it!

As a born and bred Whydahoan, Bubba say "Lot of draft from those two!"

Looking forward to you kicking my arse up them Solvang Hills.

Trekhawk
02-26-2006, 06:48 PM
WOW what a great place to ride.
So far Zion is my favourite spot in the USA (Jackson hole is very pretty too - love the Tetons). Love the Pics.:)

Running Mommy
02-26-2006, 07:29 PM
WOW! It is SOO pretty up there! I've always wanted to ride up there. Maybe I'll put that one on the calendar next year. Sounds like a little AZ weather creeped up north! Cool pics too!

AuntieK
02-27-2006, 09:49 AM
So glad to hear you made it up there! Most beautiful place...IMHO! :D Love the pics!

Wish I could have made it further...flatted at 37.3 miles. Darn!! :mad: I was having such fun! I have learned my lesson and will bring all the fix-its next time! Wishing I had run into someone like your new friend who would have lent me a tube...oh well...it was still a fun ride.

Wish I could have bumped into you there...found CyclaSutra at rest stop #1.

I'm really excited for the next ride, I may do the Ghost Town, but for sure doing LRRH. Hope to see you all there!!

yellow
02-27-2006, 11:01 AM
AK, I think I'm going to wait to sign up for Ghost Town until I see the weather pattern (which means that I'll probably sign up day of the ride). I am most definitely a fair weather rider!

Nanci
02-27-2006, 11:34 AM
I _knew_ the pics were going to look like that! Utah is _so_ beautiful.

AuntieK, you could at least get a little pack of patches. They are _very_ easy and reliable. I use the Park Tools patches. I have put hundreds of miles on patched tires. But yo still need a pump. May I recommend the Topeak Road Morph?

Nanci

AuntieK
02-27-2006, 11:35 AM
Ditto the fair weather thing!! Can't say the weather could've been more perfect for Zion.

Looking outside, today looks purdy durn nice for a ride... :D

AuntieK
02-27-2006, 11:43 AM
AuntieK, you could at least get a little pack of patches

I know...:rolleyes: I do have patches, tube, pump, ect...I guessing I was just so excited to ride that my mind was numb! I definately know better for next time.

Thanks for the advice though, sometimes I need to hear something a few times before I finally get it. :D

lovyenrose
03-12-2006, 12:00 PM
CyclaSutra, YOU ROCK.
Loved reading about your ride ... Yellow has a great writing voice.
70s and sunny, nothing beats that.
:D
(and two cute gents along for company)

yellow
03-13-2006, 12:28 PM
CyclaSutra, YOU ROCK.
Yes, she does! She had more gitty-up than I did after finishing. :D