PDA

View Full Version : Road tires for city/suburban wear

SpinSis
02-24-2006, 10:27 AM
I have a Trek 1000 WSD and have been riding on the Bontrager tires that came on the bike (700x25). I want to replace them this spring even though they only have 800 miles because the back tire has a growing gash...and there are alot of sales right now.

I'm looking for recommendations for 700x23 that will hold up to city conditions (crossing railroad tracks, road debris between street cleanings, etc). I'm riding for fitness and last summer my typical ride was 15-20 miles, which I hope to increase to 20-30 miles. I've read about Kevlar tires, but am not sure where to begin--brand name, price? I've also looked at reviews on RoadBikeReview but sometimes that only further confuses me. I am open to all and any suggestions, or redirects to other threads.

Thanks!
S

Nanci
02-24-2006, 04:18 PM
I've got about 2500 miles on the Bontrager Race Lites that came on my bike, which I find hard to believe, but there you go. They've survived numerous RR tracks, (virtually every time I ride) gravel roads, and a few bouts of cyclocross when I couldn't find a way through things. Still, they are not Kevlar, although my front has twice run over a bottle neck, with no puncture the first time and a puncture but virtually no tire damage the second time...

BF swears by Gatorskins, which are very spendy- maybe $45 each??? Gatorskins and Armadillos are supposed to be the most puncture-resistant road tires, but, if you've only had one incident, do you need such an expensive heavy tire???

I have a new set of tires for when my Race Lites wear out, which I thought would have been many miles ago, but they are still going strong. Maybe after my 400k next month ;-)

Nanci

Fuji Girl
02-26-2006, 09:30 AM
Check out bikeforums.net for opinions too.

A lot of people swear by Continental Gatorskins, which are pricey at full retail. You can often find them on sale for $20-25 on Performance - my local Performance store (Chicago) has them for $25 right now. I don't know if they're trying to get rid of overstock or what. Also check out this site for discounts:

http://www.biketiresdirect.com

I have Vredestein Fortezzas (not the SE ones) and I really like them. No flats so far! Some people also really like the Fortezza Tricomps, and some people swear by Michelin Carbons, Specialized Armadillos, and Hutchinson Carbon Comps. Definitely read through the reviews and see what they say. A lot of it is trial and error. Good luck!

Trek420
02-26-2006, 09:51 AM
Panaracer Stradius Sport 700x23c on 2 AIDS rides, all the associated training involved, commuting. I wore out one set replaced with another....so far and this'll jinx me for sure just 2 flats.

ladyjai
02-26-2006, 10:51 AM
I love mine. 700 x 23C Serfas SECA RS Road. very rarely flats. I'm at about 4000miles for the front tire and cannot remember changing a flat on the front tire. I've had to replace the rear, but only because I managed to ride over something which slashed the tire. I've had a few flats on the back, but not too many.

it's also pretty cheap. I get them at my expensive bike shop for under 25$.

SpinSis
02-26-2006, 02:20 PM
Wow, thanks ladies. That's a good handful of suggestions already. I've been looking at those Panaracers...so I hearby declare that if two cyclists are discussing tires, their performace cannot be jinxed! ...and I'll wave my magic wand! :cool:

DeniseGoldberg
02-26-2006, 02:47 PM
I'm running Schwalbe Stelvios on my road bike. That's the bike that I use to commute to work, and it's also a Bike Friday. Those little tires wear faster than 700c tires (yup, they go around more times...), but I usually get a good season's wear out of these tires.

There are a lot of options in the Schwalbe Stelvio line for 700c tires.

--- Denise

fixedgeargirl
03-07-2006, 09:42 AM
Anybody have any links to discussions about choosing a tire width? I Googled for way too long last night and didn't find anything. DH has put 28s on my bike, and after reading another thread here, I realize that's probably not what my petite self needs.

Thanks!

DeniseGoldberg
03-07-2006, 09:59 AM
Anybody have any links to discussions about choosing a tire width? I Googled for way too long last night and didn't find anything. DH has put 28s on my bike, and after reading another thread here, I realize that's probably not what my petite self needs.

I don't have any links for you, just a comparison. I run a 700x28c tire on a bike that I use for light touring - as in it carries me plus 2 rear panniers. When I use that same bike for camping trips, I carry 4 panniers and I switch to a 700x32c tire.

So a 28 seems a bit wide (to me) for road riding.

--- Denise

fixedgeargirl
03-07-2006, 11:07 AM
Thanks, Denise :) .

Yeah, now I realize that, too. I've been slacking on the technical savvy, DH being a frame builder and all. (He's also prone to, erm, strongly held, what's-good-for-the-goose-is-good-for-the-gander opinions :rolleyes: .)Time to wise myself up ;) :rolleyes: :D !