PDA

View Full Version : Denise Goldberg

Nanci
02-23-2006, 09:40 AM
Wow, your webpages sure have a lot of stuff to keep someone who is having a slow day at work busy. I am reading about what's in your bags/panniers right now, and my main question is, when you go touring, do you go by yourself, or with someone?

I wish my tax return hadn't run out before I got to buy a superlight tent (or a bolero!)

Nanci

DeniseGoldberg
02-23-2006, 10:56 AM
Nanci -
What an unexpected surprise, a thread with my name as the subject!

My touring companion is me... I started in the world of touring back in 1988 doing supported (as in group) tours. But when I graduated to self-supported tours back in 1998 I also changed to touring solo. I really enjoy touring alone; I ride at my own pace - for as long as I feel like riding, I stop and play with my camera, my rest days are when I need them (no compromises!) - and I find that I meet more people that live in the areas I am traveling through. I've found that talking with strangers happens a lot more often when I'm alone than if I'm with a group. And for me that is part of the magic of touring.

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer though. I live alone, so touring alone doesn't seem odd at all to me. I know other people who are happier (or more comfortable) when they have built-in company on their tours. It's whatever feels right to you.

--- Denise

SadieKate
02-23-2006, 10:58 AM
My touring companion is me... seWait a minute. What about the pooch? :p

SadieKate
02-23-2006, 11:00 AM
Don't forget him!

http://denise.smugmug.com/photos/27253019-S-1.jpg

DeniseGoldberg
02-23-2006, 11:04 AM
Wait a minute. What about the pooch? :p

Well, I figured that people already thought I was a little nutty, so I didn't mention him. But you're right - Rover does join me on my tours. I haven't been able to convince him to take notes for my journal during the day, and he's happiest if he can ride in a pannier or in my trailer right next to the snack food. He really likes chocolate, but he tells me that if we're not carrying real chocolate that he can put up with energy bars that include some semblance of chocolate flavor.

Oh, you want to see a picture? Here he is as we were getting ready to head out on tour (destination, Prince Edward Island) last fall:
http://denise.smugmug.com/photos/25761673-S-1.jpg

update... Ah, SadieKate beat me to the picture. The one she included was taken in Ireland!

--- Denise

Jo-n-NY
02-23-2006, 11:18 AM
No, you are not nutty Denise. I think what you do is great!!! I would call you interesting.

~JoAnn

DebW
02-23-2006, 04:35 PM
I've been reading the PEI tour. Thanks for sharing your trips.

Jen
02-24-2006, 03:39 AM
I would hardly call you nutty. You are brave to go alone but nothing keeps you from doing what you want to do. I would so love to do that. I envy you. I love the outdoors, I'll bet you did meet some nice people. I have a friend who backpacked alone around the perimeter of England. He had a great time. You are a very fortunate person, but you made it happen yourself. Does the dog set up the tent for you, ride the bike when you are tired, read the map?

DeniseGoldberg
02-24-2006, 03:45 AM
Does the dog set up the tent for you, ride the bike when you are tired, read the map?

Rover is happy to read the map and eat chocolate. He tells me that he would pedal too if we could rig up pedals on a very short crank for him!

Seriously though, you're right in that pulling your dreams into being in life is important. If there is something you dream of doing, I'd encourage you to follow your dream. Life is too short to wait...

--- Denise

Brandi
02-24-2006, 07:38 AM
Hey if you ever go through California on your own let me know. We have a guest bedroom with a view of the ocean and a nice hot shower and meal with your name on it. We also have friends in Pueblo Colorado who take in cycalists for the night. I have known them to host so many people they don't know. They bike themselves so they are sympathetic to them. Great food too! And a pool! So just let me know if you are planning anything through there or San Luis obispo. But will rover get along with my three cats?

DeniseGoldberg
02-24-2006, 08:40 AM
Hey if you ever go through California on your own let me know. We have a guest bedroom with a view of the ocean and a nice hot shower and meal with your name on it. ...But will rover get along with my three cats?
Brandi -
Thanks for the offer - I'll definitely keep that in mind if my bike and I are out your way. And yes, Rover gets along with everyone!

I'm not surprised that your friends in Pueblo host a lot of cyclists. Pueblo is on the TransAm route, so there are probably a decent number of cyclists passing through there each summer.

--- Denise

Nanci
02-24-2006, 09:25 AM
That's cool that you go by yourself, with Rover. I used to go camping/MTBing/hiking in North Carolina a couple times a year for ten days at a time with my pigeon, Dillbird. We had a great time and met a lot of cool people. It's fun because you can do whatever you want on your own schedule. I can easily imagine taking off on a bike tour alone.

Nanci

DeniseGoldberg
02-24-2006, 11:35 AM
I can easily imagine taking off on a bike tour alone. Nanci

I hope that when (notice I said when, not if!) you do take off on a bike tour that you'll share your adventures with us! After all, living vicariously through others has to suffice some of the time...

--- Denise

Lise
02-24-2006, 04:13 PM
That's cool that you go by yourself, with Rover. I used to go camping/MTBing/hiking in North Carolina a couple times a year for ten days at a time with my pigeon, Dillbird. We had a great time and met a lot of cool people. It's fun because you can do whatever you want on your own schedule. I can easily imagine taking off on a bike tour alone.

Nanci
Nanci, whenever you've mentioned Dillbird, I've pictured, well, a "real" pigeon. I cannot, however, imagine MTBing with a pigeon in a cage. Or hiking with a pigeon. Please, do tell (or make up, what do I care?!) the story. Is he perhaps...of the Rover variety of animal?

Denise, you may be nutty, but I happen to find that fascinating. And Rover is just a great travelling companion. I think your touring is very, very cool.

Lise Hey! I just noticed this is my 300th post! I write waaaay too much!

Nanci
02-24-2006, 04:36 PM
Here he is:

This is Dillbird's story-

http://home.alltel.net/nlevake/Dillbird/dillbird.htm

Here are a few pics from hiking. The one where he is flapping his wings is on Clingman's Dome, the highest peak in North Carolina. The one by the river, when we got back to the parking lot, (it was in Georgia) there was a little family, and a couple kids, maybe six and eight, and they were _so_ curious about him. I let them pet him. The boy said he'[d never seen a bird before! Hopefully he just meant a hiking bird...

Dill doesn't actually go on the MTB- I just can't think of a safe way to do that. He sleeps in his own gear loft in the tent, and _really_ enjoys hiking. I carry his food and water in urine specimen containers- they for sure won't leak. Sometimes I wonder what people think when they meet me on the trail and I am talking to apparently no one. :-)

Nanci

DeniseGoldberg
02-24-2006, 04:38 PM
Nanci -
Awesome pics! I'm so impressed that your bird goes hiking with you, love the shot of him wrapped up and in your pack.

--- Denise

Lise
02-24-2006, 06:07 PM
Wow! Nanci! So cool! I love the whole Dillbird website! Amazing. Chicago is home to many, many pigeons; not a one as well-loved as Dill and Milly. Thanks so much for showing us his story. L.:)

pkq
02-25-2006, 04:38 AM
You ladies are so cool! Love the pigeon Nanci!

Denise, I admire your ability to pursue life because it takes courage to do so. And like Jo-n-NY, it doesn't make you nutty. It makes you interesting. You seem pretty normal to me. If you ever pass my way, you have an open door, comfy bed, hot shower, and a warm meal.

Nanci
03-04-2006, 09:59 AM
Denise, I was wondering, what is your average speed, on flat ground, on a long ride, with pretty clam winds, towing your trailer? And is that the trailer the Friday goes in when you fly, like converted? And do you have an opinion on Bob Trailers?

Thanks,

Nanci

DeniseGoldberg
03-04-2006, 01:07 PM
...what is your average speed, on flat ground, on a long ride, with pretty clam winds, towing your trailer? ...is that the trailer the Friday goes in when you fly, like converted? ...an opinion on Bob Trailers?
Well, I'm not a fast rider. My average speed riding unencumbered is about 14 miles per hour. Adding a load to the bike, either on the bike in panniers or behind the bike, generally drops another couple of miles off of my speed. So when I'm touring, my average miles per hour on a flat ride is probably 12mph. And it can be a lot slower if my route for the day includes a lot of uphills.

Yes, the trailer I use with my Bike Friday is the case that the bike travels in. It converts to a trailer by the addition of a frame and wheels, then back to the bike case at the end of my ride. I've never used a BoB, but I'd say they are definitely worth considering. Keep in mind that if you're carrying a lot of weight (as in, you're camping and have tent, sleeping bag, stove, fuel, food - in addition to your clothes...) that putting the weight on the bike will change the handling of your bike. I remember on my very first loaded tour - I took a rest day in Missoula, MT, and I was riding around without my panniers. The bike handling was so different that I thought there was something wrong with my bike! (And of course there wasn't - it was only carrying me and not all of my gear!)

I wrote an article about deciding between panniers and a trailer that you might find interesting. You can find it at http://PanniersOrTrailer.crazyguyonabike.com (http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/journal/PanniersOrTrailer).

Are you planning a tour soon? Or are you dreaming of something in the future? Either way, have fun dreaming, and let me know if you have more questions.

--- Denise

Nanci
03-04-2006, 02:29 PM
Denise, you're so cool!

I'm just planning where to spend next year's tax return...

Some lady I was riding with today didn't have anywhere to put the LS shirt she took off when it warmed up. I told her I had room in my little trunk bag- didn't even have the big one with panniers on. She says "I hate to give you the extra weight..." I'm like, "Look at my bike- do you think one shirt's going to make a noticeable difference?" :-)

Nanci