PDA

View Full Version : The finger!

Brandi
02-23-2006, 07:48 AM
I have this great 15 mile round trip I like to bike. It goes through farm land very curvy and hilly (great for endurance) Sometimes I do it twice. but the road is not very wide. And there are normally very few cars on the road. That is why I like it. But the cars that are on this road speed. It's like a darn car commercial out there. One windy day I didn't get out of the way enough for this one guy who thought he was James bond racing to catch the bad guy. I didn't hear him cause it was windy. So he sticks he's hand out he's sun roof and gives me the finger. Now I am a lady ,but I couldn't help myself cause he came really close to me, so I gave him the finger back.
Now I know that was not the right thing to do. I know he could have come back around and really done something. But I had a riding buddy with me so I wasn't to worried (oh and I carry pepper spray).
A week later in our local paper some guy wrote about how he is sick of bike riders taking up the road out where I bike.He says we should pay more attention to approaching cars. That we should here them coming and get out of the way. I should have wrote a rebuttal.:mad: But I didn't. All I know is when it is windy you can not here car's coming up on you. I have a mirror but on the hilly roads you see the car's coming last minute. Ohhh he was so rude! And before you drive onto this road there is a sign with a bike and it says share the road! Duh!!! Well I guess it's good he didn't turn around and come after me. Thanks for letting me vent!

Bluemsmanager
02-23-2006, 08:24 AM
I've encountered my share of inconsiderate drivers, and I agree most of them are male. I think they just get off on startling people because they think they can get away with it. Not a week went by last summer where someone didn't scream or shout something at me while passing. The worst was when a guy pulled up along side me and starting barking. How do you not take offense to that? It kills me because these things always seem to happen along a busy road. It'd probably scare me to death if it happen on a back road.

Brandi
02-23-2006, 08:38 AM
As far as scary back roads I agree. When i am by myself i am very aware. I hate it when there is a car pulled of to the side and someone sitting in it. I give a wide bearth just in case they decide to jump out and nab me! (Wild imagination) But the back road I ride has great views of te ocean so i tink a lot of people come to just sit and think.

MomOnBike
02-23-2006, 09:04 AM
Come up beside and bark? Maybe you should have answered in a language he'd understand.

Turn and give him your best Alpha ***** growl/bark. Or any of the other anti-dog suggestions we bandy about - including pepper spray.

But, honestly, officer, I thought it was a dog barking at me, and I'm terrified of dogs! {fluttering eyelashes} /dumb blonde

OK, probably not the best response, but I'd be really tempted.

ladyjai
02-23-2006, 06:00 PM
But, honestly, officer, I thought it was a dog barking at me, and I'm terrified of dogs! {fluttering eyelashes} /dumb blonde

ROFL!!!!!!!

RoadRaven
02-24-2006, 11:14 AM
I am in the process of trying to track down bumper stickers for my car to help educate drivers that cyclists are also car drivers, and to reassure cyclists that the reason I slowed down and followed them for ages was because I know as a cyclist it was not a safe place to pass them.

Cyclists have the same rights to the road as car drivers.

I have yet to meet a truly rude and inconsiderate driver - have had many pass to quickly and too close but never had swearing or gesticulations or gunned motors... yet.
I guess that is partly because the road I mostly ride on is well-frequented by many cyclists, and as i am in the country, most of the drivers on "my" road, know my family and that we cycle (think I've said it before, its 16km to the first store/rural settlement... all farms and orchards and lifestyle blocks from there to here...