PDA

View Full Version : almost makes me not want to race

han-grrl
06-23-2003, 05:13 AM
I have returned from the 24 Hours of Summer Solstice mtb relay race with a sprained ankle. i would like to say that i had the endo of all endos and it was a cool fall. the fact is that someone shoved me over trying to pass and didn't give a s**t about where i was, that we were in single track and that if he had enough patience to wait 5 more seconds there would have been a good place to pass or i would have moved over. Nope, he couldn't wait. instead, he tried to squeeze in beside me, on narrow single track, on a downhill section. his handlebars clipped me and i endo-ed. He really had to get going you see, and he did ask if i was ok, but he really didn't wait (or probably cared) to see if i was. he barely waited for me to answer. he was already mostly down the hill when he started to ask, and before i was finished saying i think so, he was off. (oh yes and so were the 3 other guys who were apparently too much in a hurry to see if a rider could walk) had he waited he would have noticed that i couldn't put any wait on my right foot. he would have noticed that i was really in a lot of pain. nope, he really had to be off, because this was the olympics. oh wait a minute, it was a FREAKING 24 hour relay race!!!

i found a lot of the racers at this race majorly intense bordering on rude. i am peaved that this happened because he is probably satisfied with himself and his lap time, and now my whole life is upside down because i can't even put weight on my foot. and it wasn't even my FAULT!

ok, i am done venting.

Han

Susan126
06-23-2003, 06:14 AM
Those guys are _ ss h _ l _ s, Han! Uncaring, selfish $%&*# losers! I had a similar experience and that's why I rarely race any more. I still race in my club's annual event but not other races that are out there. My "accident" sounds almost the same as yours han, only when I fell I broke seven ribs! It took me minutes to breath again as the wind was knocked out of me too. A horrible feeling by the way! I thought I was going to die! No one stopped .... finally my husband came up (he was in the race too) and he helped me to get back to the start. If it wasn't for him my bones would be on that trail today! I was so careful, slow, and cautious after that fall for the longest time. But I am finally back! I love to ride and I wasn't going to allow this one experience ruin it for me. That was 4 years ago and (knock on wood) I haven't had a fall or accident since then. I have become more focused and careful and I feel I've become a better rider too. You just have to work through it. Once you do you should be fine. The first time back was the hardest but it will get better as time goes on. At least for me it did. And I haven't looked back since. Hang in there han .... don't let one idiot (and I know there are a lot of them out) take your pleasure and enjoyment away from you. Just get better and don't give up on biking! I hope your foot heals quickly! Take care and I want to hear soon that you are back in the saddle enjoying yourself again! :)
Sue

waterlilli
06-23-2003, 07:14 AM
I am sending good vibes your way Han-grrl!

Terry
06-23-2003, 07:18 AM
I double everything said about jerks who have no consideration or conciousness of others when cycling. Sick little, pee-pee-wee-wee amateurs!

These kind of episodes sort of reminds me of that scene in "Breaking Away" where the Italian team threw the home town kid off his bike with a bar in the spokes...the lesson he gleaned...
"everybody cheats". Sad thing...

But...
It also brings to mind watching Lance Armstrong stop during the 2001 Tour de France to help the great cyclist Erlich (I'm not sure how his first name is spelled) afer he went off the hairpin turn and plumetted over a gaurd rail. Lance waited, brushed him off, got him back on his bike and they took off together.

Don't let'm ruffle you. You'll meet up with these guys again...
I think if I did, I would walk up and say, "Remeber me? I'm the one you knocked down into an endo... and I'm back". And I'd look'm right in the eyes and then I'd walk away...I wouldn't listen to any excuses or apologies because there is no excuse for what transpired on that trail...I know, that's "shaming", but, there is such a thing as "rightous shaming". Obviously, this guy had no
consciousness or he would have found you after the race and made amends. Wonder if he was using, as in enhancing his performance/aggression?
Terry

goddess1222
06-23-2003, 01:52 PM
i would have had his number and found an official and had him disqulified. since you found the race to be a bit "rude" i would definitely contact some officials or at least e mail them and tell them what happened ,and that you won't recommend this race to your friends.

that is ridiculous!!! it is too bad it isn't illegal to be stupid, or that guy would be in jail for a long time.

but have faith, the fall could have been much worse. rest, ice, cheesecake and some trash t.v. will help the ache. oh yeah, and don't forget the tiara.

hang in there han!!! we love you!!!!

waterlilli
06-23-2003, 02:07 PM
It is my understanding that at NORBA santioned events that kind of stuff is not tolerated, and they will be diqualified, if caught, there is the bugaboo, the course marshal has to see it, or hear about it. I agree let the race know that you are disappointed and maybe they will stress fair play. Some of it is part of the game, but he should have made sure you were okay. Hope this does not put a damper on your riding, let it make you stronger!

gapgoil
06-23-2003, 07:25 PM
Heard about your crash tonight on a ride Hann..... not too impressed with that at all!! I can't believe that dude did that to you, and didn't seem to care about what the outcome was.....
I'm hopin' that you get yourself healed up and back in the saddle, we have yet to hook up this season.... perhaps a Jack Pine ride when you are recovered will ease the pain of this a$$.

Heal quick!

han-grrl
06-24-2003, 07:48 AM
thanks for all the encouragement everybody. after reading all your kind thoughts i am feeling so much better about myself and my riding. My physio thinks i will be back in no time as long as i take it easy for a week or so. so i guess it's road riding for me for a bit :)

i wrote to the race organizers and vented to them too. we'll see what they say (if anything).

i'm going to focus on the positive moments...like the mass start, my very first! it was pretty exciting...i also impressed a few riders with my technical skills - they thought they would have to pass and were surprised when they needed to keep up with me! and of course hearing my team mates cheer me on as i rode by...

LovesFrance
06-24-2003, 08:57 AM
Just wanted to let you know that I really admire you for racing and for handling this awful situation so well. I hope your ankle heals as quickly as your spirit did!

gapgoil
06-24-2003, 12:45 PM
Hann: What team were you on? I saw the results of a few of the locals, but didn't know who you were riding with. hope you're taking it easy.... esp. in this scorching heat!

han-grrl
06-24-2003, 04:12 PM
we were team mudluscious, bib 118.

woohoo 19/28 we weren't last!! :D

Originally posted by gapgoil
Hann: What team were you on? I saw the results of a few of the locals, but didn't know who you were riding with. hope you're taking it easy.... esp. in this scorching heat!

han-grrl
06-24-2003, 04:21 PM
thanks france...

it's very easy for my spirit to heal reading all your nice posts. i also have some very inspiring women friends in my life who have also given me wonderful advice on racing and training.

Originally posted by LovesFrance
Just wanted to let you know that I really admire you for racing and for handling this awful situation so well. I hope your ankle heals as quickly as your spirit did!