PDA

View Full Version : Some people

LauraPaura
02-22-2006, 07:32 AM
Just wanted to speak my mind about one thing that has been bothering me for a while now. I go to spinning two times a week at the moment and have been doing so for a while. I don't say that I'm expert or anything and I haven't had any training in teaching spinning but...
There are some people that have been coming to the same classes as I do forsome time now.. It is so frustrating to watch them spin in the wrong position. Like for example when the instructor tells everybody to relax shoulders etc. these people still will lock their elbows. I always feel like going over and telling them that they'll regret it later since they will have some shoulder and neck pain from the wrong position. I see the instrctor staring at these people when she tells us to relax shoulders but still they can't take an obvious hint. Sometimes I wonder why won't she go over and tell them in person because I think right position is essential. I thought also that maybe if I told them in the changing room so that they wouldn't have to lose face in front of everybody but then again people never like to hear that they're doing something wrong and would just probably end up hating me for it. :rolleyes:
I try not to stare at other people and just mind my own business but it is hard when you see people do it so wrong..

Running Mommy
02-22-2006, 09:01 AM
I'm kinda surprised that the instructor doesn't go over to them and correct their position. Even though it's harder to do then say in a step class. A good instructor should make sure that the students are using correct form to avoid injuries. I used to teach step (WAYYY BACK) and I would actually go to peoples steps as I was instructing the class and give them cues. I would also try to pull them aside at the end and explain what I was trying to point out and why.
Our gym has numbers on the bikes and the spin instructor will say "bike #3 flatten back" etc. Maybe thats what you need at your gym??

yellow
02-22-2006, 09:44 AM
If they are going to hurt themselves, someone should say SOMETHING. Perhaps a word to the instructor after class, not pointing out any specific individual, phrased in a way that shows you are concerned for safety? Is that why it bothers you?

I often see people doing different exercises inefficiently and I find myself saying (to myself) "She'd be so much more efficient and stronger if....". BUT, I figure if they are out there doing it (rather than home on the sofa) and they are not hurting themselves (or others), then good for them! and I just need to accept it and move on (and keep my mouth shut). I'm sure that some folks wouldn't mind a few pointers, but unless they ask, I'm not saying anything. And what might work for me may not work for them. I'm sure I am very inefficient in the latest sport that I have taken up (skate skiing), and that all those old guys smokin' me want to tell me to bend my ankles more or glide less or whatever! ;)

fixedgeargirl
02-22-2006, 10:26 AM
I see a similar phenomenon in the rare spin classes I go to, people with the bikes set up ALL wrong. Usually saddle too low and/or too close to the bars. There's a real smorgasborg of instructors, but I never see them helping these poor folks (and their poor KNEES!) find a better position or spend any time helping folks with set-up pre-class.

This seems like part of the instructor's job, helping their clients do the activity efficiently and properly.

I wonder how many of these folks drop out eventually b/c of discomfort, pain, etc.

AuntieK
02-22-2006, 12:10 PM
My instructor mentioned to me one day that she has provided feedback to people before, but they continue to ride the way they want to (old habits die hard). Some people seem to go to spin class just to get in their exercize for the day, and they aren't concerned so much about their form. So I can't say that mentioning anything to them yourself would do any good (although tempting as it is :p ) I must say there are some interesting ways to ride out there!!!
I wonder what others think of the way I ride? :D

Raindrop
02-22-2006, 09:35 PM
I'm a long time indoor cycling/spin instructor and while I am quick to correct improper seat heights, and offer suggestions about handlebar heights, I only offer "general suggestions" as to keeping their elbows soft, relaxing and retracting their shoulders etc. These are always postural problems that an instuctor sees but for the most part, apart from regularly cueing relaxation suggestions, ignore. Why? Because there are problems that are much more dangerous (i.e. contradicted moves such as no handed cycling, sprints with no resistance, etc. etc. ...I've seen too many to list!) The contradicted movements can cause injury immediately. Postural problems will eventually show up, but are not immediate.

Some people will never "get it" completely, and some may have issues that you and I don't know about that require a different posture when cycling.

Sure, there are some instructors that never check their participants set-up and don't cue posture, or pedal stroke, or breathing. Maybe I'm living in a dream world, but among my fellow instructors...our members are everything, because without them...we don't have a class.

P.S. I am a consistant outdoor rider too and a Personal Trainer and am very aware of postural problems. In fact, my posture is not always the best due to many, many years at a computer. Fitness and the resultng posture is a work in progress. Not everyone arrives there at the same time.;)

LauraPaura
02-27-2006, 11:58 AM
I've decided not to worry about the others so much but just to keep an eye on my own doings.. Maybe they can take a hint from me ;) It's certainly true what you all said about some people never getting it and all. It's just so hard to watch them do it so wrong (at least wrong in my opinion). Maybe I should try to train to be an instructor myself so I would have some authority to correct them :D

Crankin
02-28-2006, 01:46 PM
All of these things are true! I was a certified aerobics instructor for ten years and i tend to be somewhat critical of others who I see in the wrong position, bike set up wrong, spinning w/ no resistance, etc. If it's someone I know, I might kindly give a very friendly reminder, but generally, I say nothing. As an instructor, I was taught to make a general group correction first (as in "make sure your arms aren't locked, put the resistance up a notch), but then if there was no improvement, you should quietly talk to the person who is doing something wrong. Yes, this does require a spin instructor to get off the bike, but that is what good instructors do. An instructor is not there for their own work out! As stated before, I have seen people who have been given a lot of personal attention by the instructors and never change or follow through with the corrections; some even get really mad. Most instructors at my gym do not get too individual with corrections because they are afraid of this. But it's part of the job. I guess this was never an issue with me, since I'm a teacher and redirecting people is something that comes pretty naturally to me. I guess some adults just don't want to be given any feedback, even if it means it may save them from an injury.

AuntieK
03-01-2006, 07:01 AM
My spin instuctor did something cool today that I thought I'd share on this thread. She pulled out the ol' video camera and went around the room videotaping us. She plans to show it to us next time so we can see for ourselves how we ride. That way we can self-adjust according to what we see we're doing right or wrong.
Have I mentioned that I think my spin instructor is awesome? :)

kjay
03-01-2006, 07:50 AM
Great idea! Not sure I'd like to see myself from the rear, though. :eek:

AuntieK
03-01-2006, 07:52 AM
Tee, hee! :D BTW, she only taped from the front and side. Not sure how well it would have gone over with her taping our rear ends! :)