PDA

View Full Version : Public Service Safety Annc.

lovemybike
02-21-2006, 03:45 PM
Hey, just an idea that seems to be working around my hometown. We talked to our local radio stations and had them do Public Service Announcements about cycling safety. These announcements include traffic laws about cyclists and sharing the road. We have a large group (15-20) that ride together on weekends, last weekend a U.S. postal service worker almost hit half of us when she refused to pass in the other lane. Needless to say her Postmaster got a call or two on Monday morning. But the PSAs seem to help, many people see cyclists as an aggrevation, and not traffic.

Just an idea, usually these PSAs are a free service from the radio stations.

DeniseGoldberg
02-22-2006, 04:47 AM
I agree that public service announcements about cycling safety are a great idea. But your description of the circumstance brought up a question in my mind - when you say the postal worker refused to pass in the other lane, that kind of implied to me that your group of cyclists was taking up the entire lane. Is this what you meant? I hope it isn't and I hope that I read your entry the wrong way. And I apologize if I am out of line with my comment - I just feel very strongly about riding safely and about sharing the road.

I ride far enough out into the driving lane to be safe, and while a vehicle that wants to pass does need to swing out to pass me, the passing vehicle does not need to totally pull into the next lane.

I live in Massachusetts, and the vehicle code here says (among other things) that
Operators of bicycles shall be subject to the following regulations:

The operator shall ride single file on any way except when passing. I often see folks out on club rides who are clearly ignoring this. My rides are mainly solo affairs, but on the occasions when I ride with others, we do ride single file. If you're looking for the vehicle code relating to bicycles in your state, here's a good place to start: http://www.massbike.org/bikelaw/statelaws.htm. I think there are two parts to respect on the road - driver's respecting cyclists, and cyclists respecting drivers. We need to co-exist out there!

--- Denise

Nanci
02-22-2006, 09:23 AM
Here are the FLorida laws: We _are_ allowed to ride two abreast, but not if it impedes traffic.

* A bicyclist who is not traveling at the same speed of other traffic must ride as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway. A bicyclist may leave the right-most portion of the road in the following situations: when passing, making a left turn, to avoid road hazards, or when a lane is too narrow for a bicycle and a car to share safely.

* Persons riding bicycles upon a roadway shall not ride more than two abreast except on paths or parts of roadways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles. Persons riding two abreast shall not impede traffic when traveling at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions existing, and shall ride within a single lane.

Nanci

Steph_in_TX
02-22-2006, 10:11 AM
Thanks for that link Denise. There was a website for Texas where a group pulled out the pieces related to bicycles and though I'm not sure why, the very last section was regarding organ donation. :eek: I got a good laugh!

lovemybike
02-22-2006, 09:54 PM
Denise, no offense taken by your comment, I totally understand. No, we were not taking up the whole lane. we were in single file, although we were on a long straight country road surrounded by fields. Meaning this driver could clearly see that no other vehicles were anywhere in sight. This car was so close to my hand that I have touched the mirror as she flew by us. When I mentioned the other lane, I meant she acted as if there was a car in the other lane and half of ours. We had several new riders with us that day and this incident scared many of them pretty badly.

Thanks for the link!

Be Safe!

DeniseGoldberg
02-23-2006, 04:02 AM
Denise, no offense taken by your comment, I totally understand. No, we were not taking up the whole lane. we were in single file, although we were on a long straight country road surrounded by fields.

I'm really glad to hear that - in fact, that's what I was hoping. But there are so many newbies on this board that I wanted to make sure that info on good riding behavior was emphasized in addition to your very important reporting of the bad behavior plus the info on the ability to use/provide public service announcements. Thanks much!

--- Denise

SadieKate
02-23-2006, 02:23 PM
Speaking of public service announcements, my friends Lon and spouse just announced production of two videos and are in production for four more.

http://www.sharetheroad.us/index.html