PDA

View Full Version : any runners?

witneylaura
02-21-2006, 12:55 PM
I have to confess that I only got my bike to save on petrol money by riding to work :o But since doing that I've really got into the bike thing and am loving it. But I view myself as more of a runner in terms of self image, not a flash runner but slow and regular :) Have to say that getting on the bike has done wonders for my running, biking hills has given a power to my legs that I have not had before. Anyone else have a similar profile? :)

kiwi girl
02-21-2006, 01:41 PM
I run and bike, I mostly go through phases where I focus on one then the other - for most of the past few years I have focussed on running (I did the Rotorua marathon last year) but this summer I am doing the She and Sun Latte triathlons and am doing a biking heavy training programme because I am really enjoying the biking. I am not really aware of a specific transfer of benefits in terms of strength or whatever from one kind of workout to the other - but it does have the benefit of weight control and aerobic fitness which does transfer - and stops me getting board with one kind of training.

Did you do Round the Bays?

witneylaura
02-21-2006, 03:14 PM
Didn't do the Round the Bays this time. It's been such a fantastic summer that I decided to just run without looking at my watch and with only a vague notion of distance- once I enter events I get a bit ' obsessive' :rolleyes:
But I've got a work team together for the Taupo relay for next year which feels good.
Maybe the hill benifit comes from the fact that I cycle home up a 3k hill, but I would probably not run up a hill like that every day. So the advantage is simply more hills :)
nice to see a fellow kiwi :)

Lise
03-02-2006, 01:34 PM
Hi, ladies,

It's funny that I never looked at this board (running) before, cuz I go to the triathlon one all the time. I came at running through the back door of wanting to do triathlons. Last fall I ran the Chicago Marathon, after being pushed by a friend, who said that a 1/2 marathon was "half-measures"! No...I said, it's 13.1 miles of running! Anyways, running is the one thing I've steadily done over the winter here in Chicago. Most days I can just go outside and do it, unlike biking and swimming in the winter. It'll be spring soon (she said hopefully), so it's time to ramp up the biking and swimming again. I know that getting back on the bike in the spring will be easier this year than ever, because I've kept on running.

Lise

kaybee
03-03-2006, 12:24 PM
I'm also a runner. As Lise said, it's something I can "just do" without much forethought or planning, no matter what the weather, except for thunderstorms. In my community it's also much safer for me to run alone than to bike alone -- I can safely run in town, where there is traffic and people, but riding in town is dangerous here.

witneylaura
03-12-2006, 01:00 PM
Yes, it is funny that when I am running- and I always run alone- I have no fear for my safety. But when I am on my bike I feel like I am taking my life in my hands. Partly because I'm riding on a motorway where cars are zooming past at 100k with nothing between them and me- and the council wonders why people don't want to cycle! :confused:

kaybee
03-13-2006, 10:46 AM
I know exactly what you mean!

triflor
03-24-2006, 06:08 PM
the transfer probably has to do with muscular endurance. Hills are great at building endurance, which transfers into running. Also I find hill rides are similar (somewhat) motionwise to stairclimbing. Its closer to a running motion than riding on the flats.

runner2
03-25-2006, 12:19 PM
Yes, it is funny that when I am running- and I always run alone- I have no fear for my safety. But when I am on my bike I feel like I am taking my life in my hands.

Once you're a runner, forever runner. There's this thing:ON OUR FEET sport, no balls, no wheels, no rackets, not anything else, but YOU. So when you finish a run, you have all of the credit, no matter what, you only lose when you quit. I am a runner first then cyclist, it was my runners' legs boosting my cycling power.
Winter is my trail running season, I love running alone in the woods(with a lots of hills), no fear at all. It's my time for myself, love every mintues of it.
Happy running and cycling!

witneylaura
03-26-2006, 10:40 AM
Yes, that is very well put runner2. I'm a bit of a gadget girl so I like my bike, just bought a basic bike computer, but there is something very satisfying about finishing a run and having done it with out the aid of wheels :)
I'm finding my cycling a real joy, and am in the process of joining my local bike group. I think they mainly lobby for better services for cyclists, they seems like a friendly crowd.
And I'm thinking of going in for a 10k running event soon, cycling home will help me train for it. How great is that :D

DebW
03-29-2006, 11:32 AM
I just signed up for the Corporate Challenge 3.5 mile race in Boston on June 15. I don't do much running anymore due to knee problems, but I can manage a race this short with just a few training runs and my usual cycling. As I told the team captain, if I train alot I won't be able to run, but if I train a little I'll do fine (well ~9 min/mile but that OK). There is one 0.3 mile hill on my 13 mile commute to work that keeps me in pretty good shape. I agree with triflor that standing hill climbs on the bike mimic the running motion. Before I ever started running, I could never climb out of the saddle. After I began running, a standing hill climb felt like a natural motion.

rocknrollgirl
04-02-2006, 04:42 AM
I just started running again as a means to an end. I am doing a 6 hour adventure race at the end of this month and it has a six milke trail running leg. Once we started seriously considering the race I started running. I had given up on running years ago because it hurt my knees.

This time, I went at Christmas and got fitted at a real running store, by a real running store dude, in a good pair of shoes. I also invested in a good pair of trail runners. Being in shape from mt biking all winter I promptly went out with my husband...all 6'6" tall of him and over did it, got ITB tendonitis and had to back way off.

So now I am working my way back slowly, and loving it. Who knew, I love to run. I am slow, but I am getting my mileage built up, and I really look forward to it. It is a nice balance with the biking.

My knees and my ITB protest a bit if I push too hard, so I am working my days in with rest days and stretching like a mad woman, and getting stronger. I do not know if I will be up to the six miles by race day, but I know I will be able to do it, because it is race day. Ya know?

I do not think this makes me a "runner", just a mt bike chick that now loves to run.....

Ruth

witneylaura
04-02-2006, 11:57 AM
I do not think this makes me a "runner", just a mt bike chick that now loves to run.....

Ruth

Hi Ruth,
Your enjoyment of running certainly comes over loud and clear :) It reminded me of a story I often think about. I once worked with a woman who ran at a national level and we would often talk running talk- and I'd often say, " but I'm not a runner". I guess I felt she was a real runner and I wasn't.
One day she said to me, " do you love running?, do you get out there even when your backside would rather be sitting on a seat?" Well, yes. Those things would be true. So she rolled her eyes and said, " well, you are a runner" :)
So maybe you can be a mt bike chick and a runner :)

Laura

rocknrollgirl
04-02-2006, 04:12 PM
Yea, by that definition....I AM A RUNNNER!!!!!! slow, slow, slow, but still a RUNNER!!!!!

YEA FOR ME!!!