PDA

View Full Version : cookies for dinner

yellow
02-20-2006, 04:42 PM
OK, not really much of an "adventure story", but the eating of too many cookies doesn't really belong in the "nutrition" section! :p

DH is away on a fishing trip on some sacred water so it's just me & the dog. My without-DH diet normally isn't all that exciting (eating all the foods I could live on but he can't stand to eat all that often--burritos, pasta, Caesar, burritos, pasta, Caesar, etc...you get the picture). So I decided that I would liven up my diet by making my one of my favorite cookies (I typically make HIS favorite cookies, that way I won't be tempted to eat so many :rolleyes: ). So down to the store I go to get butterscotch chips to make oatmeal scotchies. Yuuuummmmmmmmmm, warm right out of the oven. I ate so many that I covered not only my post-ski snack calories but also dinner. :eek: I don't think I've EVER made cookies for myself just "because".

I AM cooking a chik'n pattie right now, though, to get something other than empty calories in. I'm pretty full, but I'm sure I'll be able to choke it down (note to those of you that have never seen me eat...I can outeat most grown men, except if they are eating steak--blech!). I can always slip the chik'n to the dog since no one is watching!

Guilty, as charged.

snapdragen
02-20-2006, 06:26 PM
Mmmm, cookies for dinner.

I had my "stuffy head, achey ears, headache, sinus/allergy" dinner. Chicken tortilla soup. Wasn't spicy enough though, serves me right for thinking Campbell's could do it right. Perhaps I'll hit Pollo Loco tomorrow.....

AuntieK
02-20-2006, 07:21 PM
I say there is always a reason for cookies! :) I usually don't eat like I should when DH is away either. My latest indulgence is brownies...I think I've made three batches in as many days! :eek: Yummm! :D :p :) I tried to be extra good today though to make up for it...only fruit as a treat (strawberries were on sale, so life's good).

Brandi
02-27-2006, 11:46 AM
When my husband is away i like to make taco salad. I cook up chopped chicken breast. Mix taco mix in it. Then I have mixed baby greens,chicken, tortilla stips crumbled, grape tomatoes,avacado, cheese and fat free catalina (only like it in this salad). I have the fat free dressing to make up for the cheese and avacado. My dh just doesn't like this salad. It is so yummy and there is always a lot left over for a couple nights.
I can't have cookies in my house i eat then allllll! That is my favorite all time sweet,. Have you ever had Don't stop cookies? If you like buttersctch you would love them! Tell me if you want the recipe. Always willing tohelp out a fellow cookie fiend!

CorsairMac
02-27-2006, 11:51 AM
were there nuts in your scotchies? if yes: then you didn't have just empty calories! let me see: grains, carbs, protein - sounds like a complete meal to me!:D

so - Knowing I Shouldn't eat them, Knowing I'll pay a price if I do....can anyone think of a reason I SHouldn't go buy those mini-Robins Eggs you can Only get this time of the year that keep calling my name every time I pass them by at the store???

SadieKate
02-27-2006, 12:43 PM
Don't forget it's that time of year again! Peeps!

http://www.peepresearch.org/index.html
http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2000/ast01apr_1m.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peeps

DirtDiva
02-27-2006, 12:55 PM
Oh! I love Peep Research! The Peeps themselves, though... *shudder*

yellow
02-27-2006, 01:42 PM
mmmmmmmmmmmm....Peep s'mores!

Really, if you will eat a roasted marshmallow, then you must save a package of Peeps and try a roasted peep when you're sitting around your next campfire. Crispy on the outside, perfectly gooey on the inside. :D

Lise
02-28-2006, 06:16 AM
hmmmmm. Peeps on a NASA website. Peeps s'mores. Rocket fuel. Mystery solved! :p

Corsair, I feel it is our duty to purchase and eat mini-robin eggs every year, to preserve the institution for the next generation. Ahem. The truth is, I'll eat annnnnything with "malt" in the name! Malt + Chocolate = instant success. :D

YAY! It's mini-robin egg season! YAY!

L.

Brandi
02-28-2006, 09:39 AM
M&m's have a robin like egg out right now too. But it is filled with chocolate and peanut butter. Yuuuummmmyyy!!! If you can wait till the day after easter you can get a bag for next to nothing.:D

susiej
02-28-2006, 10:58 AM
Today is the day for doughnuts for dinner! Nope, not kidding, I have a cookie sheet of pre-cut, uncooked doughnuts defrosting in the fridge for me to fry when I get home. Then a quick dunk in cinnamon sugar ... MMmmm.

Plus a salad. You know, to keep the meal balanced. :D

As for the peeps, the husband's department decided to buy a deep-fat fryer ("because it was time") and conduct frying experiments last week. :D Deep-fried peeps got a thumbs down from pretty much everyone. The deep-fried twinkie was half-half. Some thought it too sweet, others loved it. Anything with mint had too strong a mint flavor post-frying (this would be Peppermint Patties and Girl Scout Thin Mints). Chocolate bars (like Snickers and Mars) were OK. Other chocolate-coated things (malted milk balls) had problems with the batter not adhering and chocolate melting into the fat.

All in the name of science, of course. ;)

S.

CorsairMac
02-28-2006, 11:05 AM
Today is the day for doughnuts for dinner! Nope, not kidding, I have a cookie sheet of pre-cut, uncooked doughnuts defrosting in the fridge for me to fry when I get home. Then a quick dunk in cinnamon sugar ... MMmmm.

Plus a salad. You know, to keep the meal balanced. :D

As for the peeps, the husband's department decided to buy a deep-fat fryer ("because it was time") and conduct frying experiments last week. :D Deep-fried peeps got a thumbs down from pretty much everyone. The deep-fried twinkie was half-half. Some thought it too sweet, others loved it. Anything with mint had too strong a mint flavor post-frying (this would be Peppermint Patties and Girl Scout Thin Mints). Chocolate bars (like Snickers and Mars) were OK. Other chocolate-coated things (malted milk balls) had problems with the batter not adhering and chocolate melting into the fat.

All in the name of science, of course. ;)

S.

OK - so where does your husband work?? coz I want a job like that! LOL as for eating the salad to keep the meal balanced - good call *nods head wisely*. And if you made any berry doughnuts, that takes care of your fruit requirement! See...once again proving that doughnuts can be a balanced meal!

Lise: LOVE your rational for eating Robins Eggs. It's really sad when I KNOW they'll give me a migraine but I can rationalize eating them coz I have some Great migraine meds! LOL After all - they Are only available this time of year and if I Don't eat them, they may stop making them! ya know - public popularity kinda thing. So although it would be a great sacrifice on my part, I will endeavor to "save the Robins Eggs'! :D

susiej
02-28-2006, 11:59 AM
OK - so where does your husband work?? coz I want a job like that! LOL as for eating the salad to keep the meal balanced - good call *nods head wisely*. And if you made any berry doughnuts, that takes care of your fruit requirement! See...once again proving that doughnuts can be a balanced meal!

We both work in computers, for the same Philadelphia university, but in completely different colleges and buildings. We don't even commute together. This is the secret of a strong marriage.

Post-Thanksgiving breakfast: pumpkin pie. Hey, its a vegetable. You don't often have veggies for breakfast, do you?

S

Aint Doody
02-28-2006, 06:16 PM
Susiej--I had deep fried Oreos not too long ago. Oh, my! They were delicious. You take an Oreo cookie and cover it in doughnut batter. Then deep fry it, sprinkle powdered sugar, and drizzle Hershey's chocolate sauce on it. You can efficiently clog your arteries all at once. But it's goooood!

Lise
02-28-2006, 07:00 PM
Lise: LOVE your rational for eating Robins Eggs. It's really sad when I KNOW they'll give me a migraine but I can rationalize eating them coz I have some Great migraine meds! LOL After all - they Are only available this time of year and if I Don't eat them, they may stop making them! ya know - public popularity kinda thing. So although it would be a great sacrifice on my part, I will endeavor to "save the Robins Eggs'! :D
Well, Corsair, you know, I just do it for the kids. Anything to help out the kids. :rolleyes: L.