PDA

View Full Version : Wausau Wisconsin

Wisconsin
02-20-2006, 12:43 PM
Hi,

New person looking for people to ride with and also help with 1st road bike purchase.

Thanks

Duck on Wheels
02-21-2006, 03:36 PM
Where's Wausau relative to Madison? I'm a newby too, in Madison just for the year. Would be fun to have somebody to ride with come Spring.

Wisconsin
02-22-2006, 05:30 AM
Hi,

Wausau is about 2- 2 1/2 hours north of Madison up Hwy 39/51. Looking to purchase first road bike but when I do I would love to ride with someone. It is very pretty up north here but I don't know where people ride. I just figure I'll go out on my nearest Hwy as I live in the country. I actually may be down to Madison March 4 with a friend and want to try to get to some bike shops. Do you know of any and maybe you would want to help me try some out?

Thanks,
Wisconsin

SJCzar
02-22-2006, 09:13 AM
Another closer option for you would be "The Recyclist" in Kaukauna (between Appleton and Green Bay). I did a ride in the area last summer that was sponsored by that bike shop. The ride passed right by and I stopped in on the advice of riders from the area. The owner was super friendly and they have a nice selection of new and also used bikes. What's really nice is that the bike trail is right out their back door so customers can use that to test ride. I saw a few riders going out for test rides and the workers seemed very knowledgeable, asked questions, and made sure the fit was good before just putting them on any bike.

Their website is www.recyclist.com.

Wisconsin
02-22-2006, 10:03 AM
Hi,
Thanks for recomending the recyclyist. I gave them a call and asked what they carried and they were helpful. I may get over to see them this weekend. They carry Giants and he told me the 06's are now WSD that the 05's only changed the handlebars.
Thanks,
Wisconsin

SJCzar
02-22-2006, 10:40 AM
Good luck on the bike shopping. Too bad the weather isn't supposed to be a little warmer this weekend for a nice test ride.

They also carry plenty of accessories and clothes. It was a good thing that I only stopped there on my bike or I might have not gotten out of there without spending more than I should have.

SJCzar
02-23-2006, 06:56 AM
One more suggestion for you. There is also a Wheel & Sprocket location in Appleton. I have never been to that one, but if it's anything like the ones in my area, they have a lot of brands and models to choose from. You might like to have something to compare the Giants to.

They are having a women's night at the Appleton location on March 20th. They will talk about bike fit and show all the new WSD's. It also might be a good chance to meet other women riders from the area.

Wisconsin
02-23-2006, 11:43 AM
Hi,
Thanks again for your suggestions. Wheel and Sprocket does seem like a larger shop. We are traveling that way this weekend and maybe I can stop! I think my husband will die when he sees the prices but oh well. I'm also going to LBS just to get fitted tonight but I don't have a lot of confidence in them as they are very small and probably don't have anything in my size.
Thanks,
Wisconsin

SJCzar
02-23-2006, 01:38 PM
Good Luck and Happy Shopping !!!!

Maybe we'll run into each other on some rides this summer.

P.S. Remind your husband that this is just an investment in keeping you heathier and happier.

janetsplanet
02-23-2006, 03:59 PM
Its your riding buddy from Appleton and That ride you were taking about..
This is my home posting name..Had surgery in January so I have been home bound..Thanks for recomending the Recycler and it really is worth a look.
Are we up for the ride at Paperfest? I do believe I am ready for a full century..Been training on both Spin prior to surgery and now the treadmill and I are ready for anything...I noticed you posted the janesville pie run last year...Is that on again?--Let me know;)

Duck on Wheels
02-25-2006, 04:52 PM
...I noticed you posted the janesville pie run last year...Is that on again?--Let me know;)

I think this year's Janesville Pie Ride will be June 18. If I survive the Cinderella Classic in California in March, I plan on doing the pie ride (35 or 50 mi) before leaving Wisconsin end of June. There are also a couple of rides in May that look like they might be fun. Somebody further down that pie ride post had a link to a guy who has all the rides in WI and IL listed. Any you gals would recommend for an old beginner like me?

Duck on Wheels
02-25-2006, 04:54 PM
It was Madisongrrl who wrote:

"Hey you midwestern ladies,

Mike Bentley usually keeps track of many of the road rides/races in our area.

http://www.mikebentley.com/bike/mwrides.htm "

Duck on Wheels
02-25-2006, 05:07 PM
Hmm. I knew I found the Pie Ride somehow via the Mike Bentley site, but it's not on there. However, if you look up another Janesville ride, such as the 50/50 in May, from there you can get to a site with links to several Janesville rides, including the Pie Ride, which has its own site at http://www.janesvillebikerides.com/Rotary%20PIE.htm

whew! Anyways. There it is. June 17 this year. 20, 50, and 100K. I'm thinking maybe 50K for me, then serve the pie at a yard sale qua picnic the next day, selling off some of my stuff here before packing to head home, and also having friends over for lefse before selling the griddle.

SJCzar
02-28-2006, 01:14 PM
I'm definitely up for the Paperfest ride again this year. It would be great to have someone to do the whole route with. I really enjoyed the ride last year.

I would also love to do the Pie Ride but I'll probably have to work that Sat. I'm doing the GRABAAWR this year and it starts the Sat. after the Pie Ride and runs thru the next weekend...so I think I have to get a little work done ahead of time before I take off.

Anyone else interested in doing the GRABAAWR ?
See www.grabaawr.com for info on it.

janetsplanet
03-04-2006, 06:13 AM
That sounds like a great trip but dress warm cuz up by Rhinelander and that area it is cold even in July and August at times..I will let you know when the Paperfest info is out.
For your bike trip how much equipment do you have to carry?
That would add some weight...:confused:

SJCzar
03-04-2006, 07:52 AM
No equipment to carry. Your bag and tent are loaded up every morning and driven to that night's destination. Of course when you get there there's the fun of looking at a sea of bags to find yours. I guess that's when interesting neon tape all over comes in handy. There is also a company that you can hire (for around $250 for the week) that will have a tent set up, all your gear waiting, and a cold drink for you when you arrive after each day of riding. Seems like that would take some of the adventure out of the journey.

A friend of my daughter's is on the SAG crew. He has informed me that I can consider him my personal mechanic during the ride if needed. He then had the nerve to say that he'd give me a ride in the van if I couldn't make the distance any day. Yes, I let him have it for implying that this old lady can't keep up with those 20-somethings like himself.

janetsplanet
03-05-2006, 04:05 AM
That does sound like an adventure. You go girl and when I saw you, you were the last person I would have thought of as a little old lady:p
Someone at the Gym yesterday told they went on it two years ago and loved it.
The thought of riding sounds so good..Heres to warm weather and the great outdoors..

shasta
03-21-2006, 04:32 PM
I am aprox. 70 minutes west of Wausau. :p

Where does one learn of rides? I would love to find a beginner's ride (say one of those race/ride types) to aim for. Are there any up thisaway?

mtbdarby
03-31-2006, 05:37 AM
Hey Wisconsin,
I live in Merrill but work in Wausau. Which lbs did you go to? For bikes I recommend Builers on Third. Small shop but Tom is very helpful and knowledgable. Rib Mountain Cycles is a bigger shop and they do bike fits but I swear its like pulling teeth some days http://www.ribmountaincycles.net/. The guys there are great though and I got my mountain bike there. I'm off to Builers this weekend shopping for a road bike. The Hostel shop in Stevens Point is good I heard, but I've never been there.

I'm also a member of the Wausau Wheelers bike club. Check out the website: http://www.wausauwheelers.org/ We have our spring meeting on April 5th. PM me if you'd like to chat or get together for a ride.