PDA

View Full Version : A Cold Ride

Veronica
02-19-2006, 02:56 PM
I don't know how you folks who ride through the winter, in places with winter, do it!

http://www.tandemhearts.com/bike/mt-diablo-snow

I had on the warmest articles of clothing I own and still froze coming down Diablo today. I think the only part of me that was warm on the descent was my head. Love my Patagonia Balaclava! Firewall tights were not warm enough for a 25 mph descent. Wool undershirt, fleece shirt, windshell and jacket on top, barely cut it. Sugoi Amphib gloves - also not warm enough. Surprisingly my toes weren't really cold.

It was in the 30s and I was okay climbing, a little chilly when we went through the fog. It wasn't really windy, but very damp. The road was closed about 2.25 miles from the summit, at the Juniper Campground as the road above was too icy. There were some icy patches on the road, but not too many. A lot of traffic! People were out to see the snow.

We didn't do our planned long ride, but hopped back in the truck and came home to have soup, warm up and watch some more of the Olympics.

V.

DeniseGoldberg
02-19-2006, 03:29 PM
Hey - welcome to our winter world!

I managed a much shorter ride than you did today, and my ride was pretty much flat, so I didn't have the downhill extra wind chill to deal with. But the temp was 24 degrees when I headed out, and while the wind has settled down somewhat in comparison with yesterday, it was still blowing. 15 miles was enough today. And since I knew how cold it was, I did several small loops so I was never too far from home. And I know there are some gals here who ride in even colder temps - my lower limit is the low to mid-twenties (I know, what a baby!).

It sounds like you had a good ride even though it was cold.

--- Denise

yellow
02-19-2006, 04:39 PM
At least you're smiling V! Or is that smile a frozen grimace? :p Good job for giving it a go.

Veronica
02-19-2006, 04:51 PM
No, that is a smile. I love rides where I get to keep my heart rate down.

I was just looking at my data over the last year to see how much speed I'm giving up by not letting my HR get to high. I'm still a bit slower than when I was going all out just riding teh mountain, but I am getting faster at this heart rate. Of course I haven't looked at Evil Pork Day yet. :) I betcha my HR was wicked high that day!

V.

yellow
02-19-2006, 04:54 PM
Evil Pork Day
Thanks for the memory. I'm sorry, but it made me laugh. I miss riding with you guys! :(

Veronica
02-19-2006, 07:07 PM
No problem. Glad I made you smile. For the record, that was probably my slowest ride up the mountain and with the highest heart rate.

I briefly considered trying to join you on Solvang, but we'll be down there two weeks after for the double. You and Sarah will have a blast. And April is coming. I hope I haven't lost all my mountain biking skills.

And you'll have a whole crew of us in June for LRRH. I've signed up for the ride, but haven't made my plane reservations yet.

Maybe I'll come visit you this summer, since Thom can't take any time off.

V.

shadon
02-19-2006, 07:16 PM
I don't know how you folks who ride through the winter, in places with winter, do it!

[V.

I rode hills today in the City. Just through neighborhoods, riding up and down hills, and my fingers froze. and I was *cold*.

I'm ready for warm weather again...thenkyouveddymuch.

Selkie
02-20-2006, 01:28 AM
Yesterday, I rode at sunrise. It was about 11 degrees with some wind. Uggh, it was miserable, but I missed four days of riding outside earlier in the week due to a big snow which now is melted. The gatorade in my bottle was frozen solid by the time i got home! Today will also be frosty but it isn't supposed to be as bad (fingers crossed). Aside from a very cold ride the day after T'giving, yesterday's was the coldest ride of the year. And yes, our winter has been mild here in the DC area.
V--I found that I have acclimated to the cold and anything above 25 degrees doesn't bother me too much so long as I layer. If it gets below 25 degrees, my feet usually end up getting cold, despite foot warmers, amfib shoe covers and wool socks.

carimail
02-20-2006, 07:32 AM
FROZEN GATORADE?!?! I'll choose not to whine about the light layer of frost on my lawn!!

slinkedog
02-20-2006, 08:06 AM
Yeah, I guess that means I should get my hiney out the door now. ;)

snapdragen
02-20-2006, 08:44 AM
I'll tack on my "cold" ride - since I was whining about it yesterday.

My Suby's thermometer said 45 degrees - brrr for California. I wore my Witches Britches, tights, sock liners and smartwool sox, base layer undershirt, ss jersey, wind vest and arm warmers. Oh, and Ear Bags (leopard print!) on my ears.

We started out, with me as the leader. It was cold, with a few clouds; the sun was trying it's best to peek out though. By the time we reached Metcalf Park, I had 4 riders with me. Unbeknownst to me, there was a flat right at the start, and a late arrival. Two other coleaders were there, so it was OK to continue. Calling out path hazards, to the point of ridiculousness, hole! post! dog poop! Suddenly, tttturkeys!!!!! A whole flock of wild turkeys! What beautiful birds! I wanted to stop and watch, but didn't. I am the leader and must press on. :rolleyes: Except I'm starting to feel like my lungs are frozen. Hmmm. Ears were a bit achey this morning. I finally tell my ducklings I'm having trouble catching my breath. I tell them where we are regrouping, and send them ahead.

I arrive at the model airplane airport shortly after them. When the rest of the group arrives, I ask if anyone saw my lungs on the path, I seem to have misplaced them. Ate 1/2 a LaraBar (Cocoa Mole) and on we go. I feel a bunch better, maybe it was my usual "start of ride" sluggishness. Colette points out we've been fighting a headwind all the way too. Oh really?:o Oops, maybe that's the problem......

Coffee in Morgan Hill at a cute place - done up like New Orleans. I splurge and have a mocha and a blueberry muffin top. We hang out and gossip....er talk, then head out. Now we have a tailwind! Whoop!!!! We fly back to Metcalf Park for a short potty stop, then on to the hills. Not really big hills, more like bumps. Baby steps! My fitness is getting better, last time I rode the bumps I ended up in my granny :eek: :o . This time I stayed in the middle ring. Mini victory dance. At this rate I'll be climbing Diablo in, oh, two years......

Back at the parking lot, thanks and pats on the back all 'round. I feel so much better this week than I did last week. Legs aren't sore at all. I treat myself to a chicken burrito and a nice shower. I'm ready for next weekend.:D

newfsmith
02-20-2006, 05:58 PM
After 5 winters commuting I think I can say that there is no such thing as a single glove that is adequete for temperatures below 20, that includes my PI amphib lobsters. It is essential to layer on your hands & wrists. There is a lot of infiltration there. I try to overlap the cuff of my lining glove (silk, Outlast, or even Foxglove gardening gloves) over my base layer sleeves, then get my mid layer and jacket to overlap the lining glove and then the outer glove or mitt to overlap the jacket. That puts 5 or 6 layers over my wrists as opposed to the 1 or 2 layers on my legs and 2 or 3 layers on my body. If you keep your wrists warm the circulation to your fingers doesn't start to shut down nearly as soon. For outer gloves I use a pair of Thinsulate hunting gloves ( $5 at Walmart) down to 15-20F depending on the wind. I also use PI amphib lobsters from 25 down to 10. I like to be able to alternate so they have a chance to dry completely. Anything in the single digits I go with heavy wool mitts topped with leather mitts. The hard part of commuting in the winter is having the patience to spend almost as much time dressing as I do riding.