PDA

View Full Version : Prometrium/oral-Progesterone Chat.

zoom-zoom
10-21-2013, 07:01 AM
Experiences? I've been on this for about a week, now. The first 4-5 days were fine, but the last few I've felt just meh. Not sure if it's the hormones or possibly that I started new asthma meds (was on Qvar and am now on Symbicort, which is similar + long-acting bronchodilator). Or maybe I'm coming down with a cold. Several cycling friends have been sick and I wonder if I'm battling one of their bugs. And it's rained pretty much every day for the past week, so I suspect mold is an issue, as well (still have to have deep-skin testing for grass, trees, mold, but my mom is allergic to mold and I've got all of her other allergens confirmed via previous tests).

I've also had a bit of vertigo...which could be a side-effect or it could be vertigo for no good reason. I suffer with this at random and have for years -- likely related to my allergy/sinus/asthma issues. Totally irritating.

I've read that the first few cycles on Prometrium can be rough, since the body's initial reaction is to pump out more estrogen (the point of taking progesterone is to help balance things, since I've been "estrogen dominant" for a while). I'm hoping that I'm not going to have a week or more of this every 28 days! But I guess it beats 8-13 days of bleeding every 21-23 days....

Catrin
10-21-2013, 04:59 PM
Hang in there Zoom!

Owlie
10-21-2013, 10:20 PM
Give it a little time to see if you are getting sick. (Since you're on Symbicort, I wouldn't be surprised if you were coming down with something!) If the cold never materializes, follow up with your doc. Dizziness is listed as a side effect on the insert, but if you're prone to it, it could be totally unrelated. You might

Hang in there.

zoom-zoom
10-22-2013, 06:04 AM
Feeling much better today...not sure what was up. Was it a bug? Was it my body acclimating to one or both meds? I can deal with 4 days of feeling yucky if it means having 28 day cycles, again.

Owlie
10-22-2013, 10:32 AM
It might well be the meds...or not. Bodies are silly. Glad you're feeling better!

thekarens
10-22-2013, 11:45 AM
Glad you're feeling better!

Skippyak
10-22-2013, 06:45 PM
Try taking at night, It is actually cited that it can make you drowsy. I think after you settle in you might feel that it makes you feel generally better. I took it for a while for anovulatory bleeding and I think it helped my mood a lot as well as physical stuff. I swear I had preovulatory combative disorder.

zoom-zoom
10-23-2013, 03:40 AM
Yup, already taking it at night, after reading that it can cause drowsiness. I felt better yesterday...had 3-4 days where I felt like I wanted to just stay in bed. I wonder if I was fighting a bug, too.

zoom-zoom
10-23-2013, 12:52 PM
Well, this is irritating. I still have tonight's dose of Prometrium to finish this dose cycle and today started my period, so it bought me one more day. It's better than 23 days, but hardly. I figured I wouldn't start until a few days after the last dose. So only 15 days before I start up again. I hope my cycles continue to extend to a more reasonable amount the longer I'm on progesterone. I'd be thrilled with 26 days, at this point. How sad is that?!

If after 3 cycles of Progesterone I'm still dealing with relatively short cycles AND long bleeds I'll probably just bag it and have everything out...I just don't know when to do it. Ideally I'd do it this year, right around the holidays, or early next year, since I'd rather take recovery time during horrific MI Winter than any other time of the year.