PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Girl Mud Run

Catrin
10-20-2013, 01:47 PM
http://godirtygirl.com/about is about the Go Dirty Girl Mud Run, a woman's only fundraiser for breast and ovarian cancer research. I've decided to do this next year when it is in Indianapolis. It looks like a lot of fun, and one of my training partners at the gym did it this year. Apparently it really does work for all fitness levels, and it isn't as hard core as the Tough Mudder. I doubt my shoulder is up to a Tough Mudder & it may never be. The Dirty Girl, however, sounds like a lot of fun and it is for a good cause.

I am curious if anyone here has been a Dirty Girl? :)

emily_in_nc
10-20-2013, 01:52 PM
Not personally, but a friend of mine in Texas did one with a friend this year. They dressed up in all pink matching fitness outfits and wore their hair in pigtails. They had a blast, though I have a feeling their outfits were a total loss -- they were totally covered in mud at the end! They were both slow runners who didn't do much more than a 5K distance, so it is certainly fine for all fitness levels, I'd think.

I hate mud -- walking in it, hiking in it, or mtbing in it, so I don't think this is something I'd ever do. But they say it's lots of fun if you don't mind getting dirty! :D

Catrin
10-20-2013, 02:25 PM
I need a good goal, one that will take me out of my comfort zone, and for a couple of reasons it can't be on a bike. Soooooooo, and it is a good thing to do for my mom :) I don't think I've been in mud since I was 6 years old so it is going to be different :) I ALSO have an older pair of glasses I am going to use to keep from destroying my way-too-expensive premium no-line glasses ;)

emily_in_nc
10-20-2013, 06:29 PM
I ALSO have an older pair of glasses I am going to use to keep from destroying my way-too-expensive premium no-line glasses ;)

Good plan! You definitely don't want to wear anything you hope not to ruin. The hardest thing for me would be shoes. I don't have a lot of shoes, particularly of the running variety, and none I'd be willing to get squelchy full of mud and likely ruined!

Catrin
10-21-2013, 02:29 AM
Good plan! You definitely don't want to wear anything you hope not to ruin. The hardest thing for me would be shoes. I don't have a lot of shoes, particularly of the running variety, and none I'd be willing to get squelchy full of mud and likely ruined!

hmmmm, good point. I will need to think about this...maybe pick up a less expensive pair and just consider them a single use? I DO have a pair of road running shoes that are about shot - unsure how wise it would be to wear them on a non-paved course though. They hurt my feet on pavement...well, I've time to figure this out. I understand they collect muddy shoes at the event, unsure what they do with them - what CAN be done with them...

Crankin
10-21-2013, 03:46 AM
This sounds like something I would love! I've looked at the Tough Mudder stuff, but I could not climb up a wall, and I'd rather not break my back trying!
Off to research.
Edit: There's one in Boston next summer. I am going to think about it.

Catrin
10-21-2013, 04:59 AM
Crankin, I've been told the obstacles are graduated and there is always a way to walk around it if you don't want to do it. Previous participants have told me it really is for ALL fitness levels.

Catrin
11-21-2013, 04:27 PM
I registered this evening...I KNOW my shoulder won't be ready for a vertical wall climb by May (if ever), but the rest of them sound doable! It is also for a great cause :)

emily_in_nc
11-23-2013, 12:43 PM
I registered this evening...I KNOW my shoulder won't be ready for a vertical wall climb by May (if ever), but the rest of them sound doable! It is also for a great cause :)

Good for you, Catrin! Can't wait to hear all about it when the time comes!

Catrin
01-28-2014, 01:54 PM
I have a team-mate now - from my church which was a total surprise :)

Catrin
05-07-2014, 04:42 AM
Less than 2 weeks from the Indianapolis Dirty Girl! I doubt I am all that ready for the running but it will be broken up by the obstacles so am not too concerned about that.

Catrin
05-17-2014, 01:37 PM
The event was this morning! It was COLD, it was 41 when my wave got started. I was dancing around to keep warm at the start. Here is what we looked like all squeaky clean, except for our feet. The starting announcer told us that he had never seen feet as muddy as they were before the start of the event. I am the one in the yellow jacket - and my bike-thermal clothing selection was spot on! Everything survived outside of my gloves (and I donated the shoes). Clothing all had to be washed twice!

Things were different than I expected. I suppose that I expected trails of some kind in the woods where we would run, and then have muddy obstacles. The conditions were far from my uninformed expectations. We had 3 miles of ankle-lower calf deep of almost pure liquid mud to slog through, so there was NO running, by anyone. Mud slogging, mud trodding, but no mud running. I only fell twice :) but I did get stuck several other times. I noticed that the smaller women like myself were having more problems moving in the mud, where the heavier women appeared to have an easier time of it.

I think the obstacles might have been more challenging if we could have run more between them. There were several tall almost vertical climbs using rope nets, but with my shoulder I didn't do them. There was a 6 foot almost vertical climb that I did do, and pretty much scooted down the other side on my butt - there were wooden ledges I used to help with that. At one point my event partner and I helped dig a woman out of the mud, she was literally knee deep in the stuff! She had slipped while trying to get up a short vertical incline - I actually found a way around it ;)

All in all it was a lot of fun, even if not the kind of challenge I had anticipated. If I do it again it will be to have fun with friends, nothing at all wrong with that!

I didn't get cold nor hot - though at some point my Gore head covering wound up in my zipped back pocket. My cheapo gloves in the first pic were disposed of halfway through the course. I am now, finally, enjoying a beer. They did have free beer there, but I don't drink Bud...

Helene2013
05-17-2014, 03:58 PM
Wow. What a challenging fun day it was, but for the cold start. :)

OakLeaf
05-17-2014, 04:45 PM
Woot woot! Way to go! "After" pictures or it didn't happen!!! :D

Catrin
05-17-2014, 05:17 PM
Woot woot! Way to go! "After" pictures or it didn't happen!!! :D

The second picture is the "after", we only took those two. For some reason she looks muddier than I do, but we were equally dirty - and if you could see the top/back of my head you would see that I am even dirtier! There WILL be "during" pictures when they release the official event photos Wed or Thursday :) Hopefully they got me! At least I THINK I hope they got me, because I remember where the event photographer was during the course ;)

Crankin
05-17-2014, 06:13 PM
Sounds awesome, Catrin. What kind of obstacles were there?
Your clothing choices sound just right.

emily_in_nc
05-17-2014, 06:24 PM
Congratulations, Catrin! Sounds like you had a lot of fun despite the chilly start. And no worries about not being well-trained enough since you didn't even have to run. Good for you for trying it!

Owlie
05-17-2014, 07:01 PM
That sounds like loads of fun. Go you!

Catrin
05-18-2014, 10:40 AM
Sounds awesome, Catrin. What kind of obstacles were there?
Your clothing choices sound just right.

I was concerned about being both over and under dressed, but it was fine. So glad all of my expensive technical gear survived, and VERY glad I had them! While I may not be riding right now, I am thankful that I seem to be able to keep finding different uses for all but my riding shorts. That keeps me from thinking how much money I've invested in that portion of my wardrobe :eek:

Crankin, the obstacles were interesting. Here is a link that provides a photo (http://godirtygirl.com/course/) of something about each obstacle. We didn't have the "Get Over Yourself" vertical wall. I didn't do all of the obstacles, with my shoulder as it is I wasn't about to try the rope-net almost vertical 20 foot climbs (Get a Grip). I don't have that much upper body strength and I could see the instability/movement of the rope "net" causing clutzy-Catrin to get in trouble with either shoulder or knee real fast. I also walked around the H2OMG - this was the second obstacle and I wasn't about to splash through waist-deep cold water at 41 degrees. I DID, however, go through something that was remarkably similar at the end of the course :D

Most of the obstacles were insanely easy that had us crawling under or through things, and indeed it was easier to get through the mud that way instead of walking! I tweaked my knee on the Barn Burner, but thankfully it seems fine. Think of this like a 30-35 (or taller) angled bounce house kind of thing but you don't (of course) go inside. There were platforms to help you progress upwards, but a couple of them were really long if you happen to be short like me. I made it to the top however, and scooted down the other side on my already muddy butt -this was the very first obstacle.

In the end it was a lot of fun, even if not as challenging as I had expected. Slogging through the almost liquid mud soup for 3 miles was the unlabeled obstacle and was a challenge in and of itself. I might do this again next year as part of a larger group, just go for the fun of it all :-)

Catrin
05-21-2014, 03:47 PM
The theme of the day was, apparently the following:

Slog through deep mud. Fall down sometimes to mix it up, or get stuck because the sucking mud wants your shoes. Get help to free from the shoe-lusting mud. This can be seen in this photo :-) I was fortunate in that I didn't lose my shoes. Some women did, and some just gave up and completed the course barefoot!

Crankin
05-21-2014, 04:13 PM
Love it!