PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a Look Optimum 585?

Laguna
09-26-2013, 09:34 AM
I have an opportunity to purchase a like-new LOOK 585 Optimum in an XS size. However, the top tube at 50.8 is just a bit longer
than I like. Generally a 50 or 50.5 TT works far better for me and I don't have to run a stubby 90 or 75mm stem. However, the head tube on this bike at 121 is a tad taller than my 110 headtube and I'm wondering/hoping that my offset the longer TT. The other thing that may make a difference between my current bike and this LOOK is the reach from saddle to bars but this depends on angles and I don't have them for my current bike, so impossible to compare.

So, any experience with the 585 Optimum or opinions or advice is appreciated. By the way, I'm a guy...just on the short side.

Thanks.

Seajay
10-07-2013, 05:55 PM
A 90 stem isn't stubby on a 50cm frame. It should handle nicely with that length. That said, you may be better off comparing REACH measurement rather than TT measurement. You may find that it is more/less different than you think.
I've never put a lot of value in taller head tube = shorter reach. Mainly because you likely have a bar height that works for you already. I'd rather have you on the correct REACH and the correct BAR HEIGHT. Not trying to compensate one with the other.

nuliajuk
10-11-2013, 01:15 PM
I have the 566, if that helps. I have the stereotypical "female" build with long legs/short torso and found that it only needed a shorter stem (9.0 cm instead of 12) to make the 53cm size fit perfectly. (I'm 5'-8" with a 30.5" inseam)
Is it possible for you to try this bike out? Looking at the geometry chart in the catalogue for a 51cm frame, the 586 has a very slightly longer top tube (about 4mm, or less than a 1/4") and frame angles of 74.25º seat tube/72º head tube instead of 74.5/71.5.. Not a lot of difference.
My only reservation about the 586 might be the seat post. It looks like a one-off, and I wonder if it could be replaced easily if it ever broke. I don't think you'd be unhappy with it, but then I'm biased. My Look feels like it was made for me. :)