PDA

View Full Version : Tri bike first Impressions...

Running Mommy
02-17-2006, 02:18 PM
Ok girls. I took my new baby for her first real ride today. Here are my observations...
First a little background. Been doing tri's for 4 years now, used a road bike w/ clip on aerobars from the start. I've noticed as I've gone to longer distances that I wasn't as comfortable on the road geometry and felt like I wanted a bit more aggresive position- to be dumped down in the aerobars more. This is my first go 'round w/ a tri bike.
First, It's a totally different animal. The tri bike is VERY squirrely. I actually swerved a couple of times? It was weird. I instantly realized why tri bikes are frowned upon in pelotons or club rides. Handling is an issue.
Second, my neck is really going to have to get used to being so low in the aerobars. W/the 650 wheels and the low profile a-bars I'm really down close to the ground. I really had to stretch my neck upwards to get a good view of the road ahead. I like to look pretty far beyond me so I really had to stretch my neck upwards.
Third. Not sure of the arione saddle. I love the side rails, no side chafing at all, but my middle bits were squished- bad. I was in tri shorts so I'm hoping it will be better in shorts w/ some real padding. :eek:
Fourth: very fast and very easy to get up to 20 mph on the flats. And going downhill I was FLYING!
Fifth: I can see where she is not a climber. I did fine on the rollers, but the steep hill was not so fun. If I were to do a hilly course I'd prolly pull out the road rig
Sixth: Carbon fiber ROCKS! I could feel the bumps, but they didn't bother me at all. No jarring. It was smooth as a Caddy.. :p
And finally, the bar end shifters. Shifted pretty smoothly, but hard to get used to. I actually over clicked a couple of times and had to back track. The lever for the front cogs is nice though because it's easier to trim it out if the der. is rubbing (chain cross).
All in all I'm happy with her. But like I said it's a whole new animal. I think she's going to serve me well in the race, but I have to get used to that agressive position in the aerobars. And the saddle.. I may have to swap it out for my other one. We'll see.
She sure is a beauty though, and I even got a compliment from a mtn biker.. Of course it was my neighbor and he yelled "sweet ride, but go park her and pull out the nobbies. Lets hit the trails"...:D

tprevost
02-18-2006, 06:51 AM
Sounds like the "issues" are things that will just take a little getting used to! I am so "unversed" in bikes that obviously I can see the aerodynamic stuff but I didn't really think the ride would be so different, as you described. I was reminded of a conversation I had with a friend's husband about the differences in the two types of bikes ... I guess I must have been thinking "ya, ya, ya... can't really be so different"; its sounding like I was wrong! In the tris that you have done, have there been many w/significant hills? How will the AZ course be? It sure sounds like the bike will be a big help w/speed! I've found a tri in October (I know, far away) in Palm Springs that I'm planning to do so I am just going to have to buy you a coffee and pick your brains (AND check out your new bike!!!!! ;) )

Keep us posted as you and Valentina get to know one another! :p

Tracy

mommelisa
02-18-2006, 09:00 AM
RunningMommy:

I'm in AZ, too - over in Scottsdale. I'm training for my first IM, but I'm doing Florida, not AZ. You're about 6 months ahead of me, so I've been watching your posts with great interest - hoping to learn as much as I can for my training!

Maybe we can get together after the race for a "debrief"!?

Keep up the great work!

Mommelisa

btw - Valentina is beautiful. I'm headed to the lbs for my tribike fitting on Tuesday, I can't wait!!

tprevost
02-21-2006, 03:06 PM
Hi RM,

just wanted to check in to see if you've ridden again and if you are getting used to the differences yet?

Tracy :)

Running Mommy
02-21-2006, 04:51 PM
Sorry... I had a crazy weekend! We decided last minute to go to CA for the bike race. Of course I had to get my long workout in Saturday first!
I was orig. scheduled to do a 100/10 brick but swapped it and am planning on that this weekend. I didn't want to do a 100 miler out of the block on a new bike. And MAN am I glad I didn't! The bike is fine- great I love her... However the saddle is a torture device! I lasted 22 WHOPPING miles on her before I parked her, grabbed the road bike and finished my 56 miler. I ordered one of those Selle smp saddles on the advice from some of you here. Hopefully it works, or I'll just swap it out for the saddle on my road bike. I'm not thrilled w/ the saddle on my road bike, so I'm still on the hunt. Lets hope I find a winner soon here! :confused:
Other than that training is going well. In fact I have to go jump on the trainer right now and spin my legs out. Then on to the treadmill to get some miles on my new running shoes. I'll post my training log later.
Thanks for thinking of me though! It really helps and keeps me going. Training alone is not always fun. In fact it's not really fun at all. It's nice to have someone to share my tales from the road with... :)

tprevost
02-21-2006, 05:54 PM
actually, my DH is in Phoenix as I type! I'd love to come and meet you; you are really inspiring! (plus, I love AZ anyway, so any excuse!) I'll look forward to reading your training log!

Tracy

Running Mommy
02-21-2006, 06:28 PM
Hey, anytime! Just send me a pm and I'll give you my cell #. I always love showing people around my world. I really love it up here! We'll meet up sometime. I do occasionally come out to so cal for races in the summer.

Running Mommy
02-21-2006, 06:34 PM
Sorry I just realized I didn't reply to you! How rude of me!! :eek:
Where are you going for a bike fit? You have lot's of choices over on your side of the valley! Over here we have one new shop and thats it! Unless you count "goodyear lawn mower and bicycles".. Uh yeah, I bet the guy in that shop knows a little about bikes.. heh heh heh :p
Where do you ride? I'm also a part of the trinewbies online forum, so when I plan our IMAZ get together I'll let you know. Maybe you can join us crazy kids. We usually do it at Buca Di beppo in old town.
Good luck with the bike fit! I can't wait to hear all about it. And let me know if your ever itching to go for a ride. I like to ride the Sun Valley Pkwy because there is so little traffic and the bike lane is the width of a car lane, but I won't ride it alone. It's a little too remote for me.

tprevost
02-21-2006, 08:39 PM
where is the sun valley parkway? I lived up in scottsdale eons ago and am not too familiar with your area! :)

Tracy

mommelisa
02-22-2006, 10:21 AM
RM: lol, no problem! I went for my bike fit yesterday. I bought my road bike from Bicycle Ranch (on Pima and the 101). I've heard that they can be a little "snooty", but I've had great luck with my fitter, so I went to him when I decided to invest in a tribike. I laugh at your description of Goodyear! My dad lives in Litchfield Park and you're right - although things are GROWING like crazy over there! I ended up getting a GURU bike, have you heard of them? I think trisports.com sells them, too. I did a bunch of research and couldn't find anything negative about the company or the bikes at all. I got the Tri'Ti bike - its a little (lot) more than I wanted to spend, but geez, she was so pretty, I just couldn't NOT do it. I just have to figure out some way to sneak her into the house when she's done so DH doesn't have a heart attack!

I usually ride around here, or I've met some friends down on Tatum and Shea and rode from there. I did SOMA this past year, then took a little time off, so I haven't been doing many long rides. I'm up to about 2 hours or so right now. I rode with the BR women's group one time and they were FAST!! I don't like to have that pressure when I ride! :-)

Where is the Sun Valley Parkway? I'd love to ride with you sometime, just let me know, perhaps I could do part of it with you since I'm not riding 100 miles right now ;-)

tprevost
02-22-2006, 11:03 AM
I figured out where it is...

Looking at a map of phoenix; go west and just past the junction of 10/85S, you'll see it going north, around White Tank Mtn Park and then heading back east and connecting with 60. What a great stretch of road!

Mommelisa, don't forget to post pics of your new bike! Good luck getting it snuck in the house! I'm getting pretty good at that stuff ;) Are you going to go watch the IMAZ? I want to go SO badly but I don't know if DH will be home to watch kids... :(

Have a great day!!

Tracy

mommelisa
02-23-2006, 02:49 PM
It sounds like a good ride, but far from here. I'd have to get up really early. My dh was training to hike the grand canyon last year, and I think they did a hike out that way - at White Tanks. But, to ride without cars and traffic and all - that'd be great!

I went down last year to IMAZ. I took my dd (she was 8 at the time) down and we volunteered on the bike course - we were down there about 12 hours or so. It was amazing and very motivating. I'd already decided that I wanted to do triathlons, but to see those people do IM... It was very inspiring. I had a few friends that competed. They all finished and it really gave me the feeling that I could do it, too.

My new baby won't be ready until probably April, which is good, it gives me that long to figure out how to break the news to dh!

Running Mommy
02-23-2006, 06:39 PM
WOW! A GURU??!! SWEET!!!! I am SOOO jealous! Those are such nice rides. I've never been to BR, but I had some really bad experiences w/ the folks at Landis in Scottsdale, so I just headed where I knew they would be friendly. :o
Isn't waiting tough?! I was DYING!
Don't forget to post pics when you get them! I can't wait to see it!!
yeah, the SVP is "out there" even for me, but esp. for you guys on the East side. I usually pick it up where Bell Roads ends and it begins. There is a funky old folks bingo hall that looks like a riverboat. I park by the canal and then ride out from there. I like that there aren't many cars and the bike lane is so wide. But like the Beeline there's always a ton of debris. One day I got three flats in 30 miles!!
So how fast do you ride? I usually average around 15 mph. Hopefully that will get better now that I'm on my new ride.. :p

And Ms Tracy, when are you going to get your bum out here? I sooo hope that you can come to IMAZ. That would be cool! If you do we'll have to be sure and hook up. My cousin is coming out as well. She lives in Canyon Country. Don't know if that is near you??

Well, just got done spinning my legs out from my long run I did today. They feel MUCH better, but now I need to go get Un-sweaty!! Have a goodnight.
Denise

tprevost
02-23-2006, 07:31 PM
Hey there Denise! :D

Ya know... I don't even know where Canyon Country is!? :confused: I think deciding if I can come watch will be a last minute thing; I'm really pushing my luck w/DH and being gone for so many events this year. I gave him a list of about 10-12 events I wanted to do, several of which involve more than one day due to travel time. Believe me, if it turns out I can make it, you'll be the first one to know! ;) Or, if I decide to drag the boys with me, then its a non-issue. BUT, if I did that it would seriously limit how long I could watch because they are almost 5 and almost 7 and not too patient!

Either way, I will definately come and bug you sometime - you are just too cool a 'chick' not to come and meet!

Mommelisa, I bet it will be so hard to wait for your new bike! What made you choose IMFL? I didn't catch whether you were going to go watch any of the IMAZ??? I'm going to do a sprint tri in the fall (mainly because I'm concentrating on getting back into biking shape between now and then); probably one in Palm Springs with a lake swim... I have a whole plan in my head but getting your opinions on that is a whole other post!

Okay, I am SO blabbing...

Trac'

mommelisa
02-24-2006, 11:26 AM
I had some really bad experiences w/ the folks at Landis in Scottsdale, so I just headed where I knew they would be friendly.

Yea, I've heard the same about Landis, but I've heard it about BR, too. Funny thing, the first time I went there for a fitting, I didn't even own a bike or a pair of bike shorts or anything! I'm sure they got a good laugh, but I figured if I was going to buy something, I wanted to be sure I got the right thing. I had an appointment with the head fitter, but he had an "emergency" that day and pawned me off on the other guy, Chris, who has been a really great person to work with. The funny thing about my new bike - I only had a few questions about the components, he fitted me in the shop and we ordered it up straight away, but it took us a series of 8 or so emails to get the paint scheme figured out... :D I am having her painted.... pink!

I did Soma this last year - did you do it? I think on that course (pretty flat) my time was 3:08 or something for the bike. It was probably a little under 18 mph. I tend to try to push it too much and I'm hoping during my training this year, to ease into the long rides. I've been riding with some guys that are faster than I am, so I try to keep up - my heart rate goes sky high and I'm trashed for the rest of the day. Not good. I would bet you'll gain at least one or two mph with your new bike. Plus, I am SOOOO not a climber, I really need to work on that! I'd love to ride sometime, you just let me know. We could do a weekday ride (are you reading "shorter" in that??) sometime!

- Melisa

mommelisa
02-24-2006, 11:31 AM
[QUOTE=tprevost]Mommelisa, I bet it will be so hard to wait for your new bike! What made you choose IMFL? I didn't catch whether you were going to go watch any of the IMAZ??? I'm going to do a sprint tri in the fall (mainly because I'm concentrating on getting back into biking shape between now and then); probably one in Palm Springs with a lake swim... I have a whole plan in my head but getting your opinions on that is a whole other post!/QUOTE]

Hey, Tracy! There were really two reasons I picked IMFL. IMAZ was full and I wasn't sure I'd be ready after Soma (10/31/05) and because its pancake FLAT! (see previous post... I am a poor climber!) It took me a long time to sell the idea to my dh who thinks above all that I'm nuts and have OCD about all this stuff, but he's finally on board, thank goodness!

I'll definitely head down to IMAZ. I have a number of friends competing this year and its such a GREAT motivator! You should come, bring your little ones, there are lots of kids around and its good for them to feel the excitement too. Especially if tris are something you continue to do!

Bring it on about your plans! I'd love to hear and I'm just opinionated enough to give you feedback if you like! lol! I'm sure Denise would too!

tprevost
02-24-2006, 05:20 PM
I'm going to drag my little ones so I'm going to chose two "sets" of times to be there (I'd like to watch some of the transition from bike-run and also the finish - gotta be there when Denise crosses!) Anyway, the hotel is about 1.75miles away so I'm trying to decide whether to take a cab or get a wagon w/umbrella (am leaning towards this one!) so they can bring snacks/drinks and have a place to sit if necessary. Suggestions????

I'll have to figure out all the logistics later but Denise, I'm assuming you will be completely immersed the day before, so I'll have to get with you on figuring out how the heck to find you so I can CHEER!!!!! :D :D

Anyway, barring anything major coming up, I'm committed! Yippeee!!!

T~

tprevost
02-24-2006, 05:27 PM
Mommelisa,

You are too funny about the "flat" thing! How is the AZ course? I would imagine it to be relatively flat too... unless the bike course goes into the mtns somewhere??? But heck, Florida sounds pretty sweet! Great job getting the hubby's thumbs up! I'm not a good hill person either but that is the second thing I'm working on when I can start riding again; after some base mileage build up!

So, I was wondering about how both you and Denise decided to do the IM distance... what was the catalyst? AND, how much time each week do you each spend training?

What is the Soma? Sorry, newbie here! I have agood friend who's done the IMHI a couple of times but I'm not familiar with all of the various events!!

Well, gotta go track down the chickletts... too quiet here... ;)

Tracy

Running Mommy
02-24-2006, 07:22 PM
hey Tracy, I'll be down at the race site Saturday afternoon for the race meeting and bike check in and all that, so if you get there Sat afternoon I'll def. plan on meeting up with you. Also my husband and 8 yr old son will be there along w/ my cousin and 7 yr old son. So I'll def have to hook you guys up. We are also zoo members, and the zoo is really close to the race site so maybe you can all go while I'm out toiling away on the bike course. I have a bunch of free tickets. I love our zoo out here because you can ride your bikes in it! During the summer when it's super hot and everyone is hibernating my son and I get up early and take our bikes to the zoo. The zoo opens at 7:00 am during the summer! go figure?!:D
Anyway, yes- BRING THE KIDS!! There is alot to keep them busy, and the transition and finish area are in a park by the lake so they can run around. When it gets closer we can coordinate our plans.
Ok.. to answer the other questions... SOMA is a big 1/2 Iron distance race that takes place every fall out here. Usually right on- or around halloween. I've always wanted to do it, but it never worked out. It's a popular race and always sells out. It also pretty much follows the IMAZ course.

As for why I chose to do an IM?? Hmmm... I guess it's just all these years of watching my friends on Ironmanlive.com come over the finish line and thinking how cool it would be to do it myself. I'm also the poster child for chubby endurance athletes. I can't tell you how many times I've stood at the start line and heard husbands comment to their wives "look honey, if SHE can do it- so can you"... :cool:
I've always battled my body image and never truely been comfortable in my skin- as sad as that is. So I think that by doing these crazy things it's my way of saying "yeah I may be fat, but I can run a marathon, or I can do an IM or whatever". Because people have always looked down on me like "If she TRIED she could lose weight"... Well damn I HAVE tried! But I have to starve myself to lose an ounce, and I simply refuse to do that. I eat healthy, train ALOT, and yes- I do enjoy my sweet treats every once in awhile. I think my life is balanced... It's my fat cells that need to get on the program! :p
Last weekend in nor cal the wives of my husbands friends were all giving me "the look" when I mentioned that I was 7 weeks out from the race. One even looked me up and down and said "really? YOUR doing Ironman? Why? What are you trying to prove"....sigh... Jealous I guess?! :rolleyes:
Ok, enough of that! rant off! :D
IMAZ's course is pretty flat. The only real hill is more of a false flat that goes on for 5-10 miles ( I think) up the beeline hwy. It's also notoriously windy.
IMFL is pancake flat, but has an ocean swim. Before IMAZ came into existance I was going to do IMFL. Because like mommelisa I'm a hill WEENIE! But I also had a friend get stung inside her mouth by a jelly fish at FL a couple of years ago. She managed to complete the race but she looked like a mutant in her race photo! :eek: Her cheek was all swollen. YIKES! Plus I used to surf, but I'm not sure how I'd do in an ocean swim. The one good thing though would be the bouyancy!
Anyhoo... I guess that's it. When do you get your bike Mommelisa? Sounds like your getting a total custom job! SWEET!! I'm sooo jealous!! Are you a member of the phoenix tri club? I just joined so I could get 15% off my bike at trisports, but I don't know anyone in the club.

tprevost
02-24-2006, 08:53 PM
RM,

I can totally relate to the whole body image thing. All my life I've yo-yo'd and let my scale determine my moods... ICK! YOU are healthy and fit so I am SO hoping that women like you will rub off on me! :D Part of the reason I have begun reincorporating the biking and a tri into my life is that it gives me what I need to keep striving to improve and continue my fitness routine and training etc. I can't wait to cheer you on!!!!!

Thank you so much for the offer of the zoo tickets! I lived in scottsdale in my early 20's and went to the zoo way back then; I love that zoo! I had no idea they let you ride bikes there! Holy Cow! ... but its pretty clear why they open so early in the summer ;) We are staying over on east apache so we aren't too far from the start/transition area. My kids are pretty young still (and sometimes have a tendency to run off) so I know that I'll have a limit as to how much time I can spend at the course... I'll coordinate w/you as to the best approximate timing.

Anyway, I can't believe that your dh's friend's wife actually said that to you! She clearly has issues of her own... that's all I'm gonna say. :eek:

Thank you so much for letting me join in on your cheering squad! I bet your family is SO proud of you!

Mommelisa, I hope that you can come at the same time! Its too bad I can't convince my DH that we need to do some cheering in FL as well!!!! ;) do you have any pictures of you doing the SOMA?

Well, I'm going go get ready to watch the Amgen coverage! Gotta get encouraged for the whoppin' 12 mile bike ride Sunday! ;) The cast comes off Tuesday; but I think I'll be babying the arm for a while - the cast makes me feel safe; kinda scary to get it off, even though its driving me crazy!

Have a great evening!

Trac'

mommelisa
02-25-2006, 08:08 AM
G'morning ladies! Denise - you're probably on some epic ride this morning, I can't wait to hear! :-)

I ran about 12 or so with my running partner this morning and I thought how dang lucky we are to be in AZ right now, where I'm running in a short sleeve shirt and shorts! What a great day!

SOMA was a great race. I had extreme fear about swimming in Tempe Town Lake (RM - have you done any training in there?) but you know, this year for IMAZ, since the weather has been so mild, it should be really nice. Prior to SOMA, I'd done one swim in TTL and ended up sick for about a month afterwards. I had a parasite and could NOT keep food IN, if you know what I mean... ugh! But for SOMA it didn't end up being so bad. Maybe you both could do it this year!! I'll cheer you on just before I leave for Panama City - I think it ends up falling the week just before IMFL! Here're my pics, if you want to see:
http://www.asiorders.com/view_user_event.asp?EVENTID=8017&BIB=753

As for why I started thinking about IM... hm. I think its mostly a mental game. I started out doing marathons first. My mom was sick (cancer) and I think I was kind of mad that she wasn't "fighting" harder - that her body broke down because she wasn't really active before she got sick, so she had nothing to fall back on. Does that make sense? I figured if I could do things like marathons, I would be healthy and if something like cancer happened to me, I'd be strong enough to fight it. (wishful thinking, I know, my mom had brain cancer, no amount of fighting could cure it...) I did a couple of marathons and then I needed a new challenge. Triathlons seemed the next step. I didn't even own a bike when I signed up to do my first tri... lol! My first was an olympic distance and for me, it just wasn't long enough. So I tried a 1/2. That was amazing, but I still needed a challenge. IM is the next logical step for me. I believe that anyone can do it - all you have to do is get your MIND to believe that you can and you can accomplish anything!

Trac - I'll definitely coordinate with you for IMFL. I'll be down there most of the day so we'll meet up. We can exchange phone numbers closer to the date.

-Melisa

mommelisa
02-25-2006, 08:19 AM
RM - Nope, not a member of Phoenix Tri Club, I used to run with Racelab, but I stopped having them make my schedule at the beginning of the school year because I couldn't make any of the group workouts. It didn't fit with my kids school schedule. I've been thinking about PTC just to have a group to train with now and then if I wanted. Although, I don't do the group "ride" thing very well. Where are you swimming?

Have you read the book "Be Iron Fit"? There is a bit in there about Energy Givers and Energy Takers. Energy Givers are people who make you feel positive and energized when you're around them. Energy Takers are people who make you feel the opposite. The book says that to take on the challenge of somethink like IM, you need to be positive (seems like you have that going!) and keep your spirits high because nothing can bring you down like negative people. Sounds like your dh's friend's wife is that way. I'd stay away from her until after the race... Then see what she has to say. :-)

tprevost
02-25-2006, 11:03 AM
Melisa - I'm sorry to hear about your mom. I can understand about being strong and how that would 'drive' you. I love your pictures! You and Denise look so fresh during/after your events etc! You really look great in your pics!!!

I'm going to go read that book too... I think that philosophy is a good one for life in general as well!

Well, I am very much looking forward to meeting you two ladies! I've got a cousin who lives in north phoenix so I may end up coming a day early to visit him as well.

Hope you enjoy your weekend!

Tracy

Running Mommy
02-25-2006, 09:20 PM
MM- WOW! We have alot in common. I started running when my Grandmother- who I was super close to- was diagnosed with lung cancer. I was teaching step aerobics at the time- so fit, but not a runner. I found it to be an outlet to my stress. I did a 10k in honor of my Grandmother after she died. It was a charity race so I ran for home hospice. That was the begining of this madness. But the funny thing is when I'm struggling in a race I always call on her "Grandma, I know your watching me. Please help me get through this"... I have the feeling I'm going to have a direct line to her up in heaven come April 9th! :)
cancer really does stink, doesn't it?! It always seems to rob the world of the best people. My grandma was a life long smoker so I always wonder "what if"...
Anyway, yes I was on an "epic" ride. I posted the details... It was wonderful today wasn't it? I couldn't have asked for a better day. I'm going to make a note to god "please deliver the weather that you sent on Feb 25th to us on April 9th" :p Think it'll work?! ha ha ha
Oh and your pics were GREAT!! Nice muscles there girlie!! :D WOW! You will look great on that Guru! Did you get the Crono? I saw a magazine ad the other day- sweet ride! You DEFINTELY win in the hottest ride contest!! :)
Well, I;m fading fast so I'm off to bed!
CIAO!
Denise

Lise
02-26-2006, 02:49 PM
Hi, Denise, Tracy, Melisa,

I really enjoy reading about why you want to do IMs, and seeing the pix. I agree that people who want to put us down about athletic endeavors should have no space in our lives. I went out on one date with a guy who, when I talked enthusiastically about my athletic adventures, asked "and how long have you been addicted?" I'm not addicted. I'm happy, I'm active, I'm free. I love the look on Melisa's face crossing the finish line--pure joy!

My dad died of brain cancer when I was five years old. He was an athlete and a teacher. When I told my aunt that I was slow but had endurance, she told me that my dad always said he should be timed with a calendar, not a watch. So it's a family trait! When I ran the 1/2 marathon in September, I had a strong sense of his presence. I had a shirt made for when I ran the Chicago Marathon two weeks later. On the back it said, "I run with my dad", and a picture of him as a young man. I can't tell you how much positive energy I got from other runners. I'll try to attach a picture...wow, small as I made that, it came out huge! OK, I'm kind of dim about these techy things.

Anyways, the next time someone expresses doubt about your iron-ability, you could say, "Yeah, I'm going on a 60/13 bike-run brick tomorrow. Wanna join me?" and leave them with a gaping mouth and walk away.

I'm wishing I could join you all in cheering for Denise in T-1, T-2, and at the finish line! I'll be there in spirit. L.

Running Mommy
02-26-2006, 04:24 PM
Hey Lise that is a great picture! I always get choked up when I see people running w/ tribute shirts on.. It reminds me of those I lost in my life. :(
As for cheering me on... You CAN! You can track me on ironmanlive.com the day of the race. Of course being on central time I'll prolly finish after midnight your time! :eek: So I have no expectations that you'll be in front of your monitor at that hour! heh heh heh :p
But just knowing that I have people cheering me from far and wide will bouy me to "git er done" as the nascar people say! :D - and NO I'm NOT a nascar fan! I learned that phrase at last years IMAZ when the aid station I worked theme was "redneck heaven"... It was CLASSIC! We even had a busted toilet with flowers growing out of it. I can't tell you how many athletes came by and said " I may need that toilet if I look at any more gatorade!!" :eek:

tprevost
02-26-2006, 05:11 PM
Lise,

I love that shirt! I also (like RM) get choked up when I see people with shirts like that. As I get older, the more touched I get too - I definately have a much larger appreciation for my loved ones than when I was younger. (or maybe it makes more sense to say that I son't take them for granted as much!)

I love your suggested response to those "downer people" - that would shut them up pretty quickly I would imagine!

Well, if by some chance you do get to come to AZ, I'll be there and would be happy to help if you need a ride to/from airport etc.

Tracy

mommelisa
02-27-2006, 07:21 AM
My dad died of brain cancer when I was five years old.

Ah, cancer is such a sucky thing but when it affects the brain, its just the worse. I'm sorry Lise, I feel like we're kindred spirits. I ran the NY marathon with Fred's Team one year. Fred Lebow (the founder of the NYRRC) had the same cancer as my mom, and he passed away a number of years ago. My mom had just been diagnosed and had had her first surgery, and so I joined Fred's team and ran in honor of my mom that year. Now during every race, I know she's there with me. Your dad left you an amazing legacy and I know you are making him proud every day.

- Melisa