PDA

View Full Version : Comfort (Navigator) or Trek 7300 ??

Kat2u5h
02-16-2006, 06:25 PM
Hi again, all this is my 2nd post and its a continuation of the first question about which bike to get.

I know only i can decide for me.... but I now went out for a 2nd time looking at bikes and have been to 5 bike stores.

I tried a recumbent thinking that might be easier and more comfortable... and boy are those a different type of ride! The guy at that shop, pretty much showed me 2 recumbents and one trike, and based on my reaction he realized I wasn't buying today, and he went back to work behind the counter repairing or adjusting some bike. (and basically he was right, I wasn't going to shop at a store 50 miles from where I live)

I went to another bike store, where the guy was helpful, but he couldn't really say if one of the bikes he was showing me was considered a mountain, road or comfort bike... he said well, "it's a bike" !!

Any way, went to a store that was a little closer to home than that one was... and I was able to ride a Trek Navigator which I understand is a comfort bike. it felt great... Then I also road a Trek Multitrack 7300 and it was nice as well, faster than the Navigator.

So I'm still unsure which one i would really like... hard to figure out in a 2 minute or so ride in a parking lot which one you'll love after a weekend or even one commute to and from work (a 3 mile ride)...

Right now, I don't know any one to ride with, as mentioned before I'm out of shape (even though in the past I've worked out at a gym and been height/weight proportionate). I'm thinking I'll be riding this around where I live, and hopefully to work; but hope to maybe in the near future (by this summer) feel I could drive my car to the beach (it's at least 70 miles away one way)...so no, i wouldn't ride my bike to the beach LOL... any way take my bike and ride some rides or bike paths...

I don't really have the budget to buy one this weekend, and then in a month or 2 wished I'd have gotten the one I didn't get... The price range I'm looking to keep this at is no more than $500. I can't find a local shop that carries fuji . So basically I've seen the townie 3speed; the ones today, and was scared to death of the Specialized Hardrock... I kinda got on it... but was so insecure I didn't pedal it anywhere.

Any way, once again I'd appreciate your thoughts as I'd like to make a decision and get something this weekend. So at this time I think my choices are between the Navigator and the Trek 7300. Thoughts any one?

Hell-uv-a-job
02-16-2006, 06:57 PM
Trek 7300. Nuff said. ;)

snapdragen
02-16-2006, 07:20 PM
I'd lean towards the 7300 also. Maybe you should go back to the shop and test ride them a little longer. Take them out of the parking lot and go around a few blocks if possible.

Nanci
02-17-2006, 05:25 AM
I agree- go for a longer ride. They don't care how long you go out for. Wear something comfortable to ride in, and really give it a test ride.

Nanci

susiej
02-17-2006, 10:42 AM
Nanci's right: longer ride.

I love my Navigator. The upright position meant I didn't have shooting pains in my shoulders like I did with the road bike. It also meant my thighs didn't hit my stomach as I pedalled. The seat didn't hurt my butt. After half an hour on our road bike on the trainer my butt hurt so much the couch was uncomfortable and I sat on old dishtowels each time I rode it for the rest of the winter. However, don't be stupid like me -- get yourself a pair of padded shorts if you don't get a comfort seat. Or buy an add-on seat. I also don't like hard-tails (no shock absorber in the seat post); when 200 pounds hits that seat post ...

I can hunch over to get better performance out of myself on the comfort bike, although I could get even better on another bike. I'm not a speed demon, although I do blow past every weekend rider when I'm out at my amazing speed of 11 miles an hour.

The stupid lowered top bar (you know, the change to the frame that screams girl's bike!) on the Navigator WSD makes it impossible to have a second bottle cage on the seat post.

Other people on the forum (Queen? CorsairMac?) started with a Navigator and quickly upgraded. It could be that part of my love is that it's my first bike that's all my own.

So, do like Nanci says and take them for longer test rides. How's your butt feel? Your shoulders?

--SJ

ladyfish
02-17-2006, 11:25 AM
I agree. Take them on longer rides. You need to really think about what you want in a bike, and how/how much you think you will be riding. Then get the one that's most comfortable and will get the job done. I thought I wanted one type of bike, but did some research and did some serious thinking about what I really wanted to do with my bike. That helped me realize that the bike I was originally looking at was not what I really wanted.

Take the time and find the right bike for you!

maryellen
02-17-2006, 06:26 PM
definitely take them out for a longer ride. but my guess would be that if you will be riding primarily on paved roads, probably go w the 7300. I learned how to ride on navigators and have rented them on vacation--just ends up being more work than necessary. You'll have more fun and go a bit faster and further with a 7300

Geonz
02-22-2006, 05:44 AM
Agree with everybody: do a bit longer ride 'cause it's your butt that counts... but in two weeks you'll probably like the 7300 better.
My friend was toying between the 7100 and 7300 until I got her to get on the 7500 (which fortuantely was on sale and so not *that* much more expensive). Even in the dead of winter she's been out just about everyday.

SueJ, webmastress
http://www.resourceroom.net