PDA

View Full Version : Champion System Sizing...?

zoom-zoom
08-16-2013, 01:23 PM
I have one of their basic jerseys and found I had to go up a size. Not sure how their sizing is for other items, like shorts or jackets. I'm on a new forming cycling team that is ordering CS stuff and I wish there were some samples to try on before dumping money into stuff that might not fit. Input?

rebeccaC
08-16-2013, 11:59 PM
They have some good size charts on their website with measurements of each of their sizes. I'd measure some jerseys/shorts/jackets you have that fit you well and compare the measurements with the size charts. They say they also send sizing samples and a fit kit if whoever is doing the ordering requests them.

Becky
08-17-2013, 02:48 AM
Get the fit kit if you can. Our team tried stuff from Louis Garneau and Pearl Izumi and found that, in both cases, their custom clothing didn't fit the same way as their off-the-rack stuff.

I've never worn Champion Systems shorts, but found that their jerseys are fitted and straighter-cut than many other brands.

NadiaMac
08-17-2013, 06:05 AM
I have two custom champion jerseys and wear a men's large (I am not tall but am curvy). I normally wear a women's large or medium in voter, so yes, the champions run small and leave less room for curves. Note that the men's large is too long for me, but looks ok

zoom-zoom
08-17-2013, 01:42 PM
Any experience with shorts? I know I need to go up on tops. I think I likely need a L in bottoms, too. I wear size 8, generally.

SheFly
08-19-2013, 10:41 AM
I am normally a size 10 (or 8 if looking for a snug fit) in pants, and am wearing the women's Medium Champion shorts. The leg grippers are a bit tight, but I roll them up one twist, and don't have an issue. They are VERY comfortable for me for long dirt road rides, and MTB racing. I did go up to a women's large for the winter fleece shorts, but those haven't arrived yet. By comparison, last year I was wearing a Large women's Voler short, but I have lost some weight (5' 10" and about 147 lbs).

I also wear the women's small jersey (Champion) and it is tighter fitting than some others, but I typically am a small up top. The jackets are a bit bigger - I bought the wind jacket in a small as well. The bottom is snug, but the rest is good.

SheFly

SheFly
08-19-2013, 10:48 AM
If this helps, here is a pic in my Champion kit.

SheFly

zoom-zoom
08-19-2013, 01:17 PM
Any idea what your ribcage/bust measurement is? I think I'm about 36" around (I'm a 34D). No way could I squeeze into the M top, even. Partly because I have found the Champion jerseys I've worn to have really snug arms. I don't know what's up with that. Even my large is pretty tight on my arms. My arms are pudgy, but not THAT pudgy. If I lost weight and built up my arms any it would still be a tight fit. You look like you're even more hour-glass figured than I am. Do you hate buying pants as much as I do?! :p

Interesting that the jackets fit larger. I'm eyeballing one of those heavier-weight ones with the wind front and debating between M and L. I'll probably go with a L to have room to layer more underneath it for fat bike races when it's really cold.

Which shorts do you have? Any idea how their 2 chamois compare? Looks like the lower-end one is denser and the premium one is maybe more minimal...?

SheFly
08-19-2013, 06:17 PM
Oh - don't get me started on buying pants! It's a good thing hipsters haven't gone out of style :D

I just measured, and my chest is just over 35" (I am also a 34D), but I have reasonably narrow shoulders, and what I affectionately refer to as T-Rex arms... The sleeves on the jerseys do fit a bit on the snug side on the elastic banding.

I didn't buy the heavier weight. I could have probably gotten away with a medium if I did that I think - if it's any comparison, I have several of the Pearl Izumi Select long sleeved fleece jerseys that are a size medium. I did just buy the size small wind vest though.

I can't compare the chamois, unfortunately, as I bought the standard one. I like it a lot - really comfortable on long rides. I don't remember exactly what the shorts model is, but they have flat lock stitching. I REALLY like that they are a bit higher waisted than others (and by that, I don't really mean high waisted, but that the material is not mesh quite so low) - I have a long torso, and jerseys tend to ride up on me. With these shorts, I don't have an issue with the white mesh showing, which I have had with other brands (Castelli, for instance). I ride A LOT, and get a lot of saddle sores through the year. These shorts don't bother me the same way that some others have in the past.

Overall, the quality is good, and the fit is also good. I am also a bad person, and wash and dry the kits in the machines (wash in cold).

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have other questions!

SheFly

zoom-zoom
08-19-2013, 06:43 PM
Ahhh...you have the higher end shorts. I wish the photos on their site were better so that I could compare the entry level and higher end shorts. I like my DH's bib shorts with the razor leg, but I don't think they offer that on standard shorts and I hate bibs.

SheFly
08-20-2013, 04:26 AM
Oh - sorry! I actually have the bibs, as I hate shorts :). With a long torso, my jerseys always ride, and I get the awesome lower back sunburn... The bibs are just so much more comfy for me - all I wear now no matter the brand. The other great thing about them for me is that they don't bind at my waist. I just looked up and the bibs are the CS Edge with Flatlock stitching and the Performance chamois. I also ended up with the CS Air Lite jersey, which is awesome on hot days - a bit lighter weight than the regular CS jersey.

I was also thinking last night about your comment for layering under the jacket for races when it's really cold. Be careful about this! I DO NOT EVER wear a wind layer when racing, even in temps down to 8 degrees (yes, it was this cold at Worlds this year :)). If I have a wind layer, I over heat, and then end up really cold because I am wet. The best thing that has worked for me is to wear a base layer and then a heavy weight jersey on top. This is often enough even just doing a winter ride in temps as low as about 25.

And we are thinking about fat bikes this winter :). Time to sell the barely ever used anymore snowmobiles :D

SheFly

zoom-zoom
08-20-2013, 05:34 AM
Hmm...perhaps I should look at a heavier LS jersey, rather than lined jacket. I get the clammy feel in the Winter, too.

You will LOVE fat bikes!!!