PDA

View Full Version : endurox r4? Do you know....

Brandi
02-16-2006, 05:31 PM
I heard about this stuff on one of my posts. Got some but I am confused now? The bottle says take after ride. But one of the lady's from my thread said take it before? Does anyone know about this stuff?

Nanci
02-17-2006, 02:19 AM
It's marketed as a recovery drink because it has carbs _and_ protein, in whatever the perfect ratio is supposed to be, 4:1 or something. An "energy" drink has carbs only, or used to, anyway, now it seems others are getting on the protein bandwagon.

I myself drink it starting midway through a long ride, and at the end. I like to drink it at the end of a run, or throughout the run if it is long- like ten hours.

I _really_ like the lime flavor (haven't tried the new choc or vanilla). I'd drink it way more frequently, probably replacing Gatorade with it, if it wasn't so expensive. Luckily, I discovered choc milk, which has virtually the same ratio of carbs/protein, plus a bit of caffeine and possibly fat.

The cheap way to buy Endurox is look on Froogle. You _should_ be able to find it for $1/serving, or close to. The place with the most consistantly low price I've been able to find is http://www.nutritiongeeks.com

Be careful when you mix it- I put a little water in my bottle, the two scoops of Endurox, then shake gently. Then add the rest of the water, but not completely up to the top, because it tends to foam. If I'm doing a run and leaving it in the car, unrefrigerate, I do the little bit of water/two scoops thing, fill the bottle with ice, then add water around it.

Yum!!

Brandi
02-17-2006, 08:17 AM
I got my jug od endurox from Nashbar only cause I ordered my husband a new pair of shorts. $1.28 a serving. I am interested in the chocolate milk though. I like chocolate! Is there a premixed that you buy or just powdered and non fat milk? And it's the same huh? why did I waste my money
maybe I should save the endurox for the long rides and choclate milk for my everyday rides

Nanci
02-17-2006, 09:00 AM
It's just fresh choc milk, in the bottle. Strawberry and vanilla, too, if I'm doing a long ride and tired of choc. I will carry one in my pack for a bit, leave one in the cooler in the car, and buy extras at convenience stores along the way. I mostly buy non-fat, unless I'm doing a ride over 100 miles.

Nanci

Brandi
02-17-2006, 09:15 AM
I like the way you drink! But now endurox says it helps in muscle recovery? Does te choc milk do that too? I am not to savy on this stuff.

Nanci
02-17-2006, 10:02 AM
It's the protein that helps- doesn't matter where you get it, just that you get it quickly after exercise and that it is in the proper ration to carbs.

Here are some fancy studies:

http://www.enduroxr4.com/pages/studies.html

Nanci

Brandi
02-17-2006, 10:31 AM
Oh my husband likes the chocolate milk idea big time! I said I would use the endurox and then go to chocolate milk. He said hell with that start with chocolate milk. What brand do you use?

fixedgeargirl
02-17-2006, 11:20 AM
There is a story told often among my friends about chocolate milk.

They were doing an all-day ride and stopped at a convenience store along the way. Most of them bought Gatorade, Coke, cookies. Marco went for the cold chocolate milk. "That isn't going to last too long" :rolleyes: was spoken in some form by many of the group. Well, it didn't last too long. About 10 minutes later, Marco went pale and, well, lost his chocolate milk all over the parking lot :eek: :cool: . So, it may not be the drink for everybody.

DH and I have found it difficult to get the Endurox to dissolve completely. We discovered that using a stick blender mixes it up very nicely. As to cost, DH is a bike builder, so we get things on the cheap :o . If I had to pay full retail, I'd probably still use it, just not as often ;) .

Brandi
02-17-2006, 02:24 PM
DH? dear husband? darling husband? I have seen this a few times. My husband builds everything as well so we never pay that much for stuff. The bike he just built me would have cost like over 2,000. but he bulit for just slightly over 1,000.
Thanks for the chocolate milk tip.

Melody
02-17-2006, 05:03 PM
DH? dear husband? darling husband? I have seen this a few times.

Both of those work when thought of in a fond way. Darn Husband when not. ;)

We need a terminology FAQ or thread. heh. :)

Mel

luv'nAustin
02-17-2006, 06:20 PM
I use endurox after hard workouts, and in the summer when it is hot, I ALWAYS drink the stuff for recovery. During the ride, I drink their other product, Accelerade. The only thing I don't like about the acclelerade is the strong after taste it leaves in my mouth. It is better if it is really cold, so I always freeze my bottle of accelerade the night before a ride. In fact, I just keep one frozen at all times, you never know when the opportunity for a ride will present itself.

I like e load better than accelerade and drink that a little more often. The lemon flavor is pretty good and isn't too strong tasting. I'll still drink the endurox for recovery, no matter what I drink during the ride. I also carry plain water too, it tastes sooooo good.

Once you start looking, you will find a few other products like these on the market, and everyone, for various reasons, has their favorite brand. Some of them can be hard on the stomach.

A peanut butter sandwich is always good to eat during the recovery period too.

Brandi
02-17-2006, 06:54 PM
Oh i love peanut butter! I don't have a problem with that!

fixedgeargirl
02-17-2006, 07:55 PM
I often come home ravenous after a long ride and find endurox buys me enough time to make smart food choices so I don't sit down and devour an entire bag of chips, for instance ;) . Also wards off soreness and fatigue.

Like so many other things we discuss here, what you choose to drink during/after a ride is a matter of personal preference. I personally haven't tried a lot of electrolyte drinks and don't have much of a preference (except one, keep reading ;)). I don't mind Accelerade, which is a good thing, because we have 2 giant cannisters of it :) !

I did an organized ride last year which was sponsored by PowerBar, so PowerAde was at all the rest stops. Bleccchhh! It was like drinking seawater! Or so I thought :rolleyes: :D .

Brandi
02-18-2006, 10:31 AM
beer has electrolytes in it right? not that I would drink it in the morning but maybe after a late afternoon bike ride?

DirtDiva
02-19-2006, 10:33 AM
Guinness has lots of vitamins in it too... :D

Nanci
03-05-2006, 03:54 AM
Performance Bike http://www.performancebike.com has Endurox R4 28 servings on sale for $25, as good a price as you'll ever find. (Retail is $44)

Nanci

VenusdeVelo
03-05-2006, 04:38 AM
Last time I tried that I looked like Tom hanks in the scene from "Big" where he is making faces after trying caviar and scraping it off his tongue with a napkin. My HB used to drink it and I give kudos to anyone who can just stomach it!! if you can drink Accelerade for the sake of performance, you can endure alot of pain!! :D

I just thought is was horrid but I am thinking about giving Endurox a try if it's any better? I still drink Cytomax because I can tolerate the taste well.

I can't stomach milk on a ride but I love Nestle's Quik and milk after a ride -- and Nestle's Quik (the formula here in EU at least) does not have any HFCS (high frustose corn syrup) type ingredients so you can make it "on demand".

Mmmm...chocomilk, the only way I'll drink milk!

Brandi
03-05-2006, 09:03 AM
my dh calls enderox devil water. I tried to give him some one day and he said " women get the devil water away from me". Cracked me up.

Nanci
03-05-2006, 09:54 AM
I don't like the orange Endurox, but LOVE the lime. To me it tastes like a lime Dreamsicle. I haven't tried punch or vanilla or chocolate. It has to be COLD though. Bring on the Devil Water!! (Though now I'm a chocomilkoholic...)

Nanci

Brandi
03-06-2006, 07:18 AM
I got the fruit punch. I like it. It kinda taste a bit like strawberry's. But I would preferr chocolate milk. and you are right it has to be cold. Hey how do you keep you milk cold when you ride?

I have not been riding sence last Thursday.:( woke up with my neck bothering me. Can't seem to look to the left without being in pain so I have had to take it easy. But on the positive side it has been raining so I am not missing out.

Nanci
03-06-2006, 07:58 AM
It's still winter down here, so it only gets up in teh 60's/70's usually, so I carry a bottle of milk, drink it when I get to a convenience store in two hours, buy a replacement, carry it to the next convenience store. I like having it there with me, rather than buying a new one, in case I feel like I'm going to bonk.

In summer, I iwll have to revise my plan. Maybe carry some blue ice or something, since I will be doing shorter rides in predictable weather so won't have to worry about the weight.

Nanci

ridebikeme
04-07-2006, 05:03 PM
Luckily, Endurox offers two completely different products... one used DURING workouts and the other is intended for recovery. Although I have only used the R4, I have found it very helpful!!

Ridebikeme

Bike Goddess
04-12-2006, 01:13 PM
Here's my formula for ride recovery:

1 1/2 scoops of Vanilla Endurox
1 C milk (2% or more)
1/2 C (or more) non fat plain ( no sugar) yogurt.

Pour milk in Blender
Throw in yogurt
Put the Endurox in last

Blend for about 30 secs. to 1 min.

Pour and enjoy. Just like a milkshake! I never measure the milk and yogurt so I'm guessing here.

Works like a charm. The yogurt gives you some more protein PLUS it is very easy to digest. I often have digestion problems when I go on long rides.

In fact, I'm switching to Cytomax Cranberry/Grapefruit for my onride beverage as I've been have problems with Accelerade (even diluted)

Flatlander
07-18-2006, 05:57 PM
I was reading this post and since it is July in Texas, the thought of choclate milk as a recovery doesn't seem really appealing for some reason. I think it might have its attractions when the weather cools down, though.

In the meantime, my favorite recovery mix is multigrain saltines with peanut butter, washed down with cold orange juice. Hits the spot.

Jut bought some powdered orangeade HEED to take on my runs to replace the gatorade I've been using. I mixed it up and took a sip. Yech. I stuck it in the freezer to get it ready for my morning run tomorrow. Hope it takes better cold...