PDA

View Full Version : custom made mtn bikes

crazycanuck
02-15-2006, 02:29 AM
Hey there,

Pretty soon..(end of the year??) my dear & I are going to need new bikes.

The guy at our lbs makes his own-mtb & road bikes...(he's well known & a highly recommended mechanic) and by the looks of it, they're pretty snappy...Have asked quite a few q's but i have to wait...

My question is (and i've wandered through the threads searching for this info..but not the exact answer i wanted)have you had your mtn bike custom made but not by a company??? Did you notice any difference btwn your old bike & new one??? I know it takes him 25 hrs to build, the type material, he'd custom fit them etc.

I want to support a " little guy" in the bike world and am eager to hear back on the issue.

It'll be a while before we even go down this pea gravel track..oops i mean road..but I just thought i might ask.

tanks ladies

c

bcipam
02-15-2006, 09:47 AM
I have a custom Kish Ti hardtail... it's a dream bike. Clearly custom is better as the builder can take into account body shape, and style of riding etc. Plus, well my Kish is just beautifully built. It's not a production bike, it's handcrafted by Jim Kish. Find a good builder in your area and have fun. It's well worth the money.

But I also think there are great production bikes out there and for mountain bikes - fine tuning on sizes is not such an issue. You just need to find the manufacturer whose bikes best suit your body and style of riding. I also ride a Specialize M4 Stumpjumper hardtail, and a Fisher "fully" and both bikes fit me almost as well as the Kish.