PDA

View Full Version : road bike or hybrid?

GreenLizard
02-12-2006, 12:56 PM
I am just getting into cycling and want to buy a bike. Originally my plans were to get a road bike, but I am now also considering buying a hybrid (multiterrain bike). I plan to do group rides with a local club, probably on the roads, but considering when I ride on my own I often ride on bumpy sidewalks and alleys, and jump high curbs, so I thought a hybrid might be better for me so I don't have to be too careful with it. But I have read on other forums that hybrids are slower than road bikes and are not good for group rides. What should I do?

Melody
02-12-2006, 04:33 PM
Hi GreenLizard. Welcome to the forums. There's a thread in Open Topics called "Getting to know you." Come and introduce yourself there. :)

Hybrids generally will be slower than a road bike. This doesn't mean you won't be able to fast. Depending in your fit you could compensate for it.

What is your primary impetus for riding? Is it to get fit? Commuting? Just riding for fun?

If you're looking at riding with a group on the road getting dropped is never any fun. Being able to get the highest chance of staying with the group will increase your enjoyment of the ride. :)

If you're worried about bumpy sidewalks on a road bike, don't be. In addition you can jump curbs on one though you do need to do it right and make sure you're not going too fast.

Mel

Grog
02-12-2006, 05:16 PM
I strongly feel against a hybrid on group rides (with roadies). It will severely handicap you, unless you are already a prime cyclist (which is unlikely if you are just buying a bike right now). Road bikes are also more resistant than we tend to think (although jumping curbs should not necessarily be a frequent activity with 23C tires).

However, when I run errands around town, I still love to use my hybrid. I would also commute on a hybrid bike for the more upright position. There is no clear rationale for this because, when I am riding my road bike in traffic, I feel extremely confident, fast and happy, but I don't think I'd like to do this every day if I was using it to commute.

The only terrain where a hybrid will go and a road bike with 23C tires will not is soft gravel trails.

Depending on your budget, you could consider getting an inexpensive hybrid and an entry-level road bike, use both and decide which one you will upgrade in the future :D

You could also consider a cyclocross bike, if you are really interested in multi-terrain...

Enjoy!

maryellen
02-12-2006, 07:30 PM
my hybrid is my first and only bike. it's a relatively light hybrid w thinner and slicker tires than are typical for hybrids. i rode it 560 miles on an aids ride in august. i love my trek 7500fx *BUT* i do wish i'd gotten a road bike instead. go ahead and get the road bike..................

Fuji Girl
02-13-2006, 08:39 AM
Go with the road bike first. If you still desire a hybrid, they are relatively cheap. I bought mine in 2000 (it's a Trek 7200) and now it sees very little riding time since I bought my Fuji road bike. The Fuji is faster, with better handling and control. It's just more comfortable. The only thing I use my hybrid for now is Critical Mass rides (where you're usually going so slow anyway) and to get back and forth from the library.

Brina
02-26-2006, 04:29 PM
I am just getting a road bike after riding a hybrid for years. I will hold onto my hybrid as I can't imagine pulling my kids in the burley on a road bike.

Duck on Wheels
02-26-2006, 07:33 PM
Aren't there also bikes called "flat bar road bikes" that are lighter than hybrids but comfier than road bikes for different terrains? My daughter got one in that category and loves it. My sister is steering me that direction too, now that I'm trying to do longer rides where my hybrid will be too heavy and too slow for it to be much fun.

Grog
02-26-2006, 08:20 PM
Aren't there also bikes called "flat bar road bikes" that are lighter than hybrids but comfier than road bikes for different terrains? My daughter got one in that category and loves it. My sister is steering me that direction too, now that I'm trying to do longer rides where my hybrid will be too heavy and too slow for it to be much fun.

I never heard the name but I know what you refer to. Basically you can get flat handlebars on any bike (as long as you get parts accordingly, e.g. mountain derailleur). However, I don't see why flat handlebars would be more comfy than drop handlebars. Actually, I see it the other way around: the drop handlebars give many more possible hand positions, hence more rest positions.

There are tourism bikes (bikes you can put panniers on) that may give you a bit more upright, less agressive (racing, low aerodynamic) position, if that's what you are looking for. Again, usually come with drop handlebars.

Maybe steering a bike with drop handlebars takes a little bit more confidence at first... but I don't think it's really harder.

Any thoughts?

Trek420
02-26-2006, 09:14 PM
bikeless in WI asks

"Aren't there also bikes called "flat bar road bikes" that are lighter than hybrids but comfier than road bikes for different terrains?"

yep. but also what grog says is right, you could put flat bars on almost any road bike even mine if I wanted to.

But I didn't think it'd be a good idea for bikeless to make a sudden switch to a road bike right before the Cindy "where are the brakes! :eek: ? oh, they are here"

Bikeless, do I recall a tale of you having a moment like that the first time you rode a bike with handlebar mounted brake levers? We both recall when all bikes had the type you pedal backwards :o

eg: of a flat bar road bikes:

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?sid=06Sirrus

or and I need another bike like a hole in the head but when I win the Lotto I want....

http://www.bianchiusa.com/06_alfana.html

"My daughter got one in that category and loves it."

Not quite, Eli got a cross bike

she got something like the English model of:

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=12393

another cross bike:

http://www.bianchiusa.com/06_cross_veloce.html

or best of all

http://www.rivendellbicycles.com/html/membership_rivendell_new.html

cross bikes are not angry bikes :D they have drop handlebars like a road bike, but knobby tires and lots of tire clearance so they can go off road too.

Ultimately I think Eli chose this because her commute not includes both road and unpaved trails (lucky gal!) and also because she plans to do the AIDS ride with her aunt in 2007 and didn't want to buy two bikes. With or without slick tires her cross bike should happily handle it all.

"My sister is steering me that direction too, now that I'm trying to do longer rides where my hybrid will be too heavy and too slow for it to be much fun."

You can do any ride on a hybrid, many a hybrid has passed me on my hoity toity custom ultra skinny tired road bike. :) But at minimum you'll feel held back by the highly resistant to rolling knobby tires.

It's fun to be able to go faster :)

Duck on Wheels
02-27-2006, 06:06 AM
bikeless in WI asks
Bikeless, do I recall a tale of you having a moment like that the first time you rode a bike with handlebar mounted brake levers? We both recall when all bikes had the type you pedal backwards :o
:)

Sorta. That was my first time on a bike with all of the above and more: gears, hand brakes, toe cages, skinny tires. Also, it was Karl's bike (ex BF) and too tall for me. I could barely get a toe on the ground while on the seat and had to be on my toes even to stand over the cross bar. So I had my hands on the brake levers, but was afraid to squeeze (which is front wheel, which is back ??? :eek: ). Automatically tried backpedalling like on my own Schwinn of the time, which of course didn't help. As I recall I managed to almost stop and even get one foot on the ground before toppling over. :o

But the flat bar thing for me is not about "where are the brakes". It's about sitting up straighter. If I spend much time bent over it puts a strain on the flexibility of the ostomy wafer. Don't want that coming loose!!!:eek: I'm also concerned about neck pain. I wanna be comfortable -- back and neck straight, shoulders relaxed, and so what about wind resistance since I've never been fast anyway. :D But yeah, less rolling resistance should help me keep up with at least the back of the pack ... and finish.

oldbikah
02-27-2006, 07:49 AM
Last year I bought a Bianchi Axix cyclocross bike (to keep my mountain bike and my road bike company). My son built it up for me and made sure everything was sized correctly. I LOVE it (as well as my great in-house mechanic!) I feel it can do anything a road bike can do and often better! I have had to make several quick exits to soft shoulders along roads where there was no paved shoulder--would never have stayed upright on my road bike--altho that may be partly my skill level. The only thing that makes it slower than a road bike is the gearing setup, and perhaps a little bit due to the wider tires. But all around it is now my favorite bike. When you don't know exactly what is coming on a ride-to me it is the best choice.

Grog
02-27-2006, 09:14 AM
But the flat bar thing for me is not about "where are the brakes". It's about sitting up straighter. If I spend much time bent over it puts a strain on the flexibility of the ostomy wafer. Don't want that coming loose!!!:eek: I'm also concerned about neck pain. I wanna be comfortable -- back and neck straight, shoulders relaxed, and so what about wind resistance since I've never been fast anyway. :D But yeah, less rolling resistance should help me keep up with at least the back of the pack ... and finish.

Then, if I understand correctly, your solution has to come from frame geometry, not from handlebar type. That's what I meant about a tourism bike (those that you can use with panniers). You can have the best of both worlds: a relaxed geometry to keep you relatively upright, and drop handlebars to give you better steering (especially downhill) and more options for your hands, to stretch your back once in a while, etc.

Good luck!