PDA

View Full Version : Stiletto Workout

yellow
02-11-2006, 04:43 PM
Have troubles walking in 6-inch heels? Here's the class for you! And you can learn how not to spill drinks!

But I wanna know more about "Cycle Karaoke". If you can't sing you're working too hard? Do you get to choose the songs or does the instructor assign them based on your fitness goals?

-----

'Stiletto workout' gets women in shape to strut
Latest gym fad offers muscle-strengthening classes for high-heel fans
Reuters
Updated: 8:18 p.m. ET Feb. 10, 2006

NEW YORK - The gym that brought New Yorkers “Cardio Striptease” has dreamed up “Stiletto Strength,” a workout to get women in shape to wear the highest of heels.

At a recent lunch-time session at Crunch gym near Times Square, dancer Amber Efe demonstrated how to strut like a cat-walk model, pivoting on six-inch heels that would challenge even the most ardent follower of shoe king Manolo Blahnik.

“Imagine you’re at the bar, raise one hand high like you’re holding your drink,” she told the class, music pounding as she acted the part of a club-goer working through a crowd.

“Don’t spill the drink,” she told the group, a mix of women who clearly had plenty of experience and others still tottering on shoes that didn’t show much wear.

Crunch’s class list includes “Circus Sports” and “Cycle Karaoke” and national fitness director Donna Cyrus said the most popular nontraditional class in recent years was “Cardio Striptease,” aerobics with a sexy twist.

“Stiletto Strength” was launched in January in response to client griping about getting back into high heels for winter.

“They’re businesswomen and they have to wear heels so they want to understand how to look better in them and feel confident,” Cyrus said.

Participants wear running shoes for the first part of the class, which focuses on strengthening lower body and abdominal muscles and improving balance and posture. The heels come out for the last 15 minutes.

“I came at the beginning just because I was curious,” said Andrea Kussack, 27, who isn’t required to dress up for her job but needs practice wearing “going-out” shoes.

“I recently bought for my boyfriend’s Christmas party these really high heels. I made it through the night but it wasn’t the most enjoyable thing and I haven’t worn them since,” she said.

So what is the secret to walking tall?

“Your abs and don’t look down. Look where you’re going,” said instructor Kafi Pierre. “And your ankle strength, if you have weak ankles you’ll tend to roll inward or outwards.”

Cyrus called in a podiatrist to assess the class, which has been launched in New York, Los Angeles and Miami. “He said ’You know, the answer is women shouldn’t wear heels,”’ Cyrus said.

But she said women will wear them anyway.

“Your feet will probably never recover because it’s not a position you’re meant to be in all day long,” she said. “This class will strengthen your legs and your core, it will make it less painful, but it will never be pain free.”

Copyright 2006 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters.

© 2006 MSNBC.com

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11257493/

snapdragen
02-11-2006, 07:49 PM
Have troubles walking in 6-inch heels? Here's the class for you! And you can learn how not to spill drinks!

Well, I did it the old fashioned way.......I had a drag queen teach me how to walk in heels! :D :rolleyes: :D

Melody
02-11-2006, 09:03 PM
Well, I did it the old fashioned way.......I had a drag queen teach me how to walk in heels! :D :rolleyes: :D

*rolls over laughing*

*ow*

Mel :p

Geonz
02-16-2006, 12:57 PM
Fitness center here is having "booty camp." I'm afraid to ask!

massbikebabe
02-16-2006, 08:31 PM
Here's one for the ages...

Picture me with only 1/2 my body working shoving a splint into a 6 inch heel
and THEN walking...visual too funny for words...:D :D :D :D :D :D Would have to lengthen cane so's I have something stable under me!!!

karen
me thinks stilletto days ended long before stroke...probably ended when I pushed out first baby:p

Geonz
02-17-2006, 02:36 PM
That's okay, this time on Friday the eyes start to go...

I was sure your signature said "Quilting is NOT an option!"

What a stitch!