PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Day Murph - done!

Catrin
05-25-2013, 10:05 AM
I've posted about this in another thread, the Murph is a Crossfit workout (http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/000881.html)that was inspired by the military and named for Navy Lt. Micheal Murphy who fell in 2005. It's become the tradition to do this workout on Memorial Day weekend, and this year it was organized as a fundraiser. Today I and a team from my training group at my gym met with others at a local Crossfit gym to take on this 'hero' workout. It is a beast! It features the following:

1 mile run
300 squats
200 pushups (I did inclined pushups - shoulder issues)
100 pullups (I did TRX rows instead)
1 mile run

You can break up the three exercises as you wish, and most people do have SOME kind of modification, such as band assisted pullups. For those who can handle it a 20lb vest is added, most do not do that. A couple did but I wasn't one. Few are able to do the entire workout with no modifications - you don't have to be a SEAL to tackle this but it doesn't hurt :)

Much to my surprise, I completed the workout in 42:28, much better time than I thought since I am SO bad at running. Indeed I walked a good percentage of the first half-mile of the second run. I WAS going for a gentle ride this afternoon, but things are really tightening up so I think a nice gentle walk and stretching is called for instead. Riding tomorrow :)

OakLeaf
05-25-2013, 11:03 AM
Very nice! Congratulations. :)

Catrin
05-25-2013, 11:18 AM
The amazing part is what I could DO it! It doesn't matter that I had to scale the pull-ups and push-ups - as a 53 year old woman I had never done ANY of this stuff in my entire life before the last year! While I did start working out consistently 4 years ago this summer, that was traditional gym work - weight machines and cardio/spinning class. I had no idea that this type of thing was done, and we do much wilder things than this workout. So I have to scale, and at my age my body makes it difficult to build muscle, but that is fine. I am in the best shape of my life and having a blast doing it...and was able to honor those who serve in this fundraiser.

We will see about riding tomorrow by how sore I am :o For now, I think a nap is called for...

emily_in_nc
05-25-2013, 02:03 PM
Congratulations, Catrin! I knew you could do it! Sounds like your nap is WELL deserved! :D

Catrin
05-25-2013, 03:21 PM
Congratulations, Catrin! I knew you could do it! Sounds like your nap is WELL deserved! :D

Somehow I never made it to the nap...but to a nice long hot shower...long romantic session with foam rollers and other mobility related objects...now enjoying a nice beer! It was, indeed a good time this morning and I am glad I did it. Also VERY thankful that the temps are something like 15-20 degrees below normal!

Crankin
05-25-2013, 05:41 PM
That sounds like a very good time, Catrin. I know I couldn't do 100 or 300 of anything :eek:.

Catrin
05-25-2013, 05:54 PM
That sounds like a very good time, Catrin. I know I couldn't do 100 or 300 of anything :eek:.

It helps to be a bit... stubborn. :D It was not that long ago that I would have never dreamed of doing such things!