PDA

View Full Version : Riding on hold due to husband's CABG x 5

bacarver
05-24-2013, 01:42 AM
I had a really good mileage year in 2012 and assumed that 2013 would be much the same. Then my husband had to have open heart surgery and I haven't been on the bike for weeks. The year didn't start off well with crummy weather, required training on my days off for work, catching a terrible cold, overtime hours, and more. I have lost my base that I built on my trainer over the winter. The last time I went for a ride, I was so tense on the bike that I didn't enjoy myself. My familiar rhythm and confidence weren't there. Has anyone else had to quit riding for weeks/months to care for a family member? I worry that 2013 will be a lost year in terms of a level of fitness that I crave. I am still hiking with my golden, but it's nowhere near the workout of a 2 hour ride. Kudos to all those who are caring for family. And I hope you get some rest soon . . .

OakLeaf
05-24-2013, 03:40 AM
((((((bacarver)))))) I hope YOU get some rest soon. Do take care of yourself - for yourself, AND because you need to be mentally as well as physically healthy to be able to be there for your husband.

Is he doing any of his cardiac rehab at home, or in a combined clinic/public gym? If so (or if that's a possibility), could you set your trainer up or grab a spin bike next to his and do some hard intervals while he does his workouts? I know that's not what you crave, but intervals are a great way to maintain fitness when your time is limited, and it could be a way to feel like you're "doing something together" rather than "caring for him."

bacarver
05-24-2013, 07:50 PM
Thanks -
I am getting more rest finally. I work nights, but during my husband's hospital stay and first week at home I was REALLY tired. I sure have gained awareness of what family caregivers go through. I hope I get the opportunity to step up to be there for a caregiver soon because I now know things that are needed. My husband will do cardiac rehab at a hospital. I plan to start riding again in June. I'll start rebuilding my base and see how far I get.

ny biker
05-24-2013, 08:28 PM
I don't really have any advice, just wanted to wish you both good luck. I hope your husband's recovery goes well and your life gets back to normal soon.

redrhodie
05-25-2013, 03:40 AM
((((bacarver)))) Sorry you're going through this and I hope your husband recovers quickly. Your bike will wait and your fitness will come back quickly. I've taken time off for my health issues, and bounced back pretty well, so don't worry about that.

bacarver
05-26-2013, 02:12 AM
thanks for the encouragement. Once things slow/calm down I'll start putting in the miles again to get my body back to the level it can handle. Good riding cuts my age in half and the resulting "high" gives me a great deal of confidence. I have very little contact with others my age (53) who ride and I value my sport hobby. I hope you are healthy and injury-free.

Crankin
05-26-2013, 03:45 AM
I find that very different from my experience (not knowing anyone your age who rides). Almost everyone I know who rides is my age or older... and they are serious cyclists.
I agree with your statement... riding does cut your age in half. Or at least by 10 years!