PDA

View Full Version : Lunch on Ride

Trekhawk
02-10-2006, 04:46 PM
Going to do (what will be for me) a longer ride on Sunday and Im thinking I might need to take something a bit more substantial than just gel or bars.
The ride is a little hilly so Im thinking I could be out there for a while.

Im thinking a sandwich or a roll/bagel might be the trick with perhaps Tuna or Turkey for filling. Does this sound ok or can you recommend any other favourite options for lunch. I will be heading into the back of beyond so I will have to carry food as there are no shops on the way or toilets.:eek:

Veronica
02-10-2006, 06:25 PM
A roll and cheese is a good lunch for me. Meat is just not a appealing during a ride and I am normally quite the carnivore. :p

V.

snapdragen
02-10-2006, 07:03 PM
Or a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Smuckers makes a little sandwich called Crustables - they're frozen. I'd stick one in my bag; by the time I was ready to eat, it would be thawed.

bcipam
02-10-2006, 07:03 PM
Nothing better than fig bars and a peanut butter sandwich. Easy on the stomach and good quick energy.

Trekhawk
02-10-2006, 07:34 PM
Thanks girls. Yep V I think you might be right although I like Tuna etc it might be a bit much on a ride.

I like the Peanut Butter and Fig Newtons option, might give that a try.

Sorry Snap cant come at putting Jam on my Peanut Butter it just seems all wrong but hey I like Vegemite and I know that makes most want to puke.:D

SadieKate
02-10-2006, 08:38 PM
Humus on a tortilla has worked well for me. Peanut butter and cheese crackers but you have to drink a lot with these.

Dirt Girl
02-10-2006, 08:39 PM
Sorry Snap cant come at putting Jam on my Peanut Butter it just seems all wrong

Yeah! Someone else who appreciates pure PB, no jelly thank you very much.

A favorite of mine is to spread PB on a whole wheat tortilla and roll it up. Yummy and portable.

Trekhawk
02-10-2006, 09:12 PM
Humus on a tortilla has worked well for me.

Mmm this sounds good too.:)

BikeMomma
02-10-2006, 10:16 PM
I like the...Fig Newtons option....
... but hey I like Vegemite and I know that makes most want to puke.:D
Speakin' of fig newtons, does anyone know if they still make the whole wheat ones?? I can't find them anywhere.

And Trekhawk -- thought you'd appreciate this 'lil tidbit: my boss went to Australia last summer and brought back a little jar of vegemite spread. That week, she began our staff meeting by making us all try it (with Ritz crackers and butter). Out of 14 staff members in our department, only I liked it. In fact, I not only ate my one cracker, I ate the rest she had prepared on the platter. Afterwards, she handed the jar to me and said, "Here. I don't like it either." :p :D :D

abuelitodimetu
02-11-2006, 07:09 AM
Sorry Snap cant come at putting Jam on my Peanut Butter it just seems all wrong but hey I like Vegemite and I know that makes most want to puke.:D

I L-O-V-E vegemite! Just curious, do you do vegemite and PB? I might try that... Talking about pukey tastes, one of my former pre-vegan favorites was sandwich of tuna + raisin bran.

Trekhawk
02-11-2006, 09:37 AM
I L-O-V-E vegemite! Just curious, do you do vegemite and PB? I might try that... Talking about pukey tastes, one of my former pre-vegan favorites was sandwich of tuna + raisin bran.

Yikes I dont think any self respecting Aussie mixes the two.:D

Trekhawk
02-11-2006, 09:45 AM
Speakin' of fig newtons, does anyone know if they still make the whole wheat ones?? I can't find them anywhere.

And Trekhawk -- thought you'd appreciate this 'lil tidbit: my boss went to Australia last summer and brought back a little jar of vegemite spread. That week, she began our staff meeting by making us all try it (with Ritz crackers and butter). Out of 14 staff members in our department, only I liked it. In fact, I not only ate my one cracker, I ate the rest she had prepared on the platter. Afterwards, she handed the jar to me and said, "Here. I don't like it either." :p :D :D

Hey BikeMomma I have the whole wheat ones got them at Safeway.

As for the Vegemite I think you can officially say you are part Aussie having passed the Vegemite taste test.:D

A tip for any others trying Vegemite spread Marg or butter first and then a light spread of Vegemite over the top. Dont spread it thick like Peanut Butter. :)

abuelitodimetu
02-11-2006, 01:10 PM
Yikes I dont think any self respecting Aussie mixes the two.:D

Ja!:D Then I blame my genes, I am 50% brit and we all know what they say about brits and they ability to cook (I know what my Dad would say...)

maillotpois
02-11-2006, 01:34 PM
Dang! Another one of these threads that makes me hungry!! :p

Trekhawk
02-11-2006, 06:20 PM
Ja!:D Then I blame my genes, I am 50% brit and we all know what they say about brits and they ability to cook (I know what my Dad would say...)

I dont know mate my husband has cooked up many yummy meals courtesy of Jamie Oliver, so perhaps the Pommie genes are not to blame after all.:D
Then there is Nigella mmm thinking I need some dessert.:D

fixedgeargirl
02-11-2006, 07:10 PM

I frequently buy the Newman's Own brand. They're organic and I've found them to be comprably priced with the Nabisco brand. I also bought the Barbara's Bakery brand for a while. Those are wheat free (DS had wheat-induced eczema for a while.

SadieKate
02-11-2006, 08:05 PM
I frequently buy the Newman's Own brand. They're organic and I've found them to be comprably priced with the Nabisco brand.Are they tasty? The Wonder Poodle turns up his finicky nose at the puppy "treats." If he'll even take them from my hand, they are then left out on the living room floor.

BikeMomma
02-11-2006, 09:30 PM
I frequently buy the Newman's Own brand. They're organic and I've found them to be comprably priced with the Nabisco brand. I also bought the Barbara's Bakery brand for a while. Those are wheat free (DS had wheat-induced eczema for a while.

Hey BikeMomma I have the whole wheat ones got them at Safeway.
Hmmm....perhaps I'll look for the Newmans brand and try them out. I used to buy the Nabisco ones a long time ago and just assumed that they stopped making them ('cause they are actually healthy!). The SaveMart grocery store chain has somewhat of a monopoly around here, especially in my little city, where that's all there is -- no Safeway's. The next city over (Merced) at least has a Raley's and Albertson's thrown into the mix. The last time I checked, they didn't have whole wheat either. I used to be able to eat a whole package in one sitting, and would take a whole stack with me on a long ride. I miss those things!!

Ja! Then I blame my genes, I am 50% brit and we all know what they say about brits and they ability to cook (I know what my Dad would say...) Ab, I'm 50% Brit too -- since I grew up eating things that are a little different than the typical American tastebud (love chutney, steamed pudding!), I figured that's perhaps why I took to the vegemite so easily. I dunno....just a theory. Oh...and I CAN'T cook worth poo (well, I can from recipes....). lol :D :D

BikeMomma
02-11-2006, 09:36 PM
Ah, BM, you are a good woman. :D
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Awwww shucks.
~BikeMomma

abuelitodimetu
02-12-2006, 02:10 PM
I don't know mate my husband has cooked up many yummy meals courtesy of Jamie Oliver, so perhaps the Pommie genes are not to blame after all.:D
Then there is Nigella mmm thinking I need some dessert.:D

That's true. Jamie is pretty good...Although that is nouvelle cuisine, not the kind of crap my grandma could cook... anything she made, I believe, tasted like boiled chicken. Now that I remember, she had scotch for breakfast, lunch and dinner - so maybe that's the culprit: CUI - cooking under the influence. However, hats of to the Brits for their sweets!

Edit: besides being insufferably charming, Jamie is an advocate for healthy lunches for UK kids. A little snipped below:

"From the Guardian: Celebrity chef Jamie Oliver's hit TV show is obviously very influential. Since he appeared on his show demanding a school meals revolution, the goverment was forced to agree to new standards in school catering. And now, the cafeteria workers are mad.

"Have you any idea how long it takes to peel fresh carrots for 700 children?" said Cathy Stewart, the Trade and General Workers' Union representative for Hackney area schools. 'Or cook meat pies to feed 300 or bake seven cakes? Our workload has soared.' Hackney cafeteria workers say they are happy to spend extra hours chopping organic courgettes, baking cakes from scratch and providing home-cooked roasts."

SnappyPix
02-12-2006, 07:38 PM
I would like to say that, as a 100% true Brit, I take great exception to the stereotype that British food is pants. Unfortunately, I am unable to do this as not only am I the world's worst cook, but I consider sultana bran to be the ideal meal for every occasion!
I have also had the very unfortunate pleasure of eating out in numerous "culinary" establishments in the UK and can vouch that the stereotype is, for the most part, very well deserved.
A portion of food in Britain (and even moreso in England) is generally no bigger than the size of your fist and a side salad will usually consist of one piece of wilted lettuce, one transparent sliver of cucumber (best left to dry out overnight) and two slices of over-ripe tomato (that's tom-ah-to, not tom-ay-to!).
Even if the food is predictably inedible, the British diner will unfailingly say "It's lovely, thank you" in the unlikely event that the waitress gives a damn enough to even ask.
However, don't let me dissuade you from ever sampling our lovely cuisine, for it truly has to be sampled to be fully appreciated.
There, are of course, always exceptions to the rule - however these are usually very nice little Italian, Indian or Chinese restaurants as good old British food generally consists of lard, potato, or very fattening desserts!

Thank God I'm over the other side of the world at the moment - and it's all just a distant memory!

Incidentally, Vegemite is the food of the devil. Marmite/Our Mate (as it's called over here), is far superior ... (ducks a punch from Tlkiwi!).

fixedgeargirl
02-12-2006, 07:54 PM
Are they tasty?

We think so :) . After being raised on junk and more junk, I have lost my taste for processed sugars and really prefer the complexity of whole grains and whole sweeteners. Or I'm just a snob :rolleyes: :D . Barbara's also makes a raspberry fig bar which I quite like.

carimail
02-12-2006, 09:38 PM
I would like to say that, as a 100% true Brit, I take great exception to the stereotype that British food is pants. Unfortunately, I am unable to do this as not only am I the world's worst cook, but I consider sultana bran to be the ideal meal for every occasion!
I have also had the very unfortunate pleasure of eating out in numerous "culinary" establishments in the UK and can vouch that the stereotype is, for the most part, very well deserved.

Thank God I'm over the other side of the world at the moment - and it's all just a distant memory!

... (ducks a punch from Tlkiwi!).

I must (very) respectfully disagree here. During my one year stay in England I ate at more pubs than I care to admit. Nothing beats a good Sunday roast and a Pint (o.k., I would skip the "mushy" peas). Also, the grocerey stores were great with their little cafes of fresh baked pastries and tea and coffee. We used to go stock up on all the fresh cheeses and bread and goodies and picnic every Saturday. Also, I used to find excuses to have lunch with my son at school because the food was so good - they had 2 main courses, a couple of choices of vegetables and 3 dessert choices. It sure beats the little ardboard box lunches with the unwrapped pizza he gets here. I love my country (U.S.), but there is a culinary element lacking here.
I do so miss it.

BikeMomma
02-13-2006, 01:09 AM
... over-ripe tomato (that's tom-ah-to, not tom-ay-to!).
Even if the food is predictably inedible, the British diner will unfailingly say "It's lovely, thank you" in the unlikely event that the waitress gives a damn enough to even ask.
My brothers and I tease my mother to no end on the "tom-ah-to" thing. Toooo funny!:p

Uh oh -- she's told me that after sampling my cooking.... :rolleyes: :D

~Bike "1/2 Brit" Momma

bcipam
02-13-2006, 01:35 PM
We once figured out that to eat properly on a century, you need to eat a fig newton every nine minutes. I don't especially fig newtons. :p

V.

Apple Newtons are good too! Also yes they still make the whole wheat Figs. I just bought some at Ralph's. Also, I don't like them as much (maybe cause they are "healthier") but Trader Jo's sells a whole wheat fig cookie.

I agree with the "Peanut butter" only crowd, especially on rides. Just can't do with the extra sugar jam provides. Pure peanut butter goes down better. Also for folks with peanut allergies, try some other nut butter (if you can) or something like apple or pumpkin butter. Also a nut bread, like date nut, is good on a ride. And I have a friend that swears by raisin cookies (a flat bar like cookie) or molasses bars.

Hell-uv-a-job
02-13-2006, 03:10 PM
Would that matter? On one hand you are burning fuel needed but on the other hand you don't want to add too much since you want to lose the weight. Suggestions? Comments?

bcipam
02-13-2006, 03:41 PM
I am of the mind that while riding calories don't matter - it's after and before you have to worry. They do make low fat peanut butter (which I prefer) and fig bars. But also celery with peanut butter is good and portable, string cheese sticks, apple slices etc. Just keep riding - then no worries re calories! :rolleyes:

Hell-uv-a-job
02-13-2006, 03:58 PM
Hummmm.... so you mean I could become a "bike potato"? :D Get an indoor trainer, a big screen TV, eat and watch TV and ride all evening? ;)

Getting serious now... I can't wait to get a trainer. really!

Trekhawk
02-13-2006, 04:46 PM
Thanks girls for all the food tips. I had a good ride yesterday and enjoyed my PB sandwich and Fig Newton for lunch.:)

BikeMomma
02-13-2006, 05:07 PM
Yummmmm! :D :D :D

kiwi girl
02-13-2006, 05:52 PM
Incidentally, Vegemite is the food of the devil. Marmite/Our Mate (as it's called over here), is far superior ... (ducks a punch from Tlkiwi!).

I'm with you Snappy - I am 'marmitier' not a 'happy little vegemiter'

DirtDiva
02-14-2006, 05:24 AM
At least she had the good sense to duck. ;) I have to say, Snappy, the NZ cafe culture is something I really miss.

Lise
02-15-2006, 04:57 AM
I'm a late reader of this post, but I'm thinking you all have solved the mystery of what the heck happened to me on that 66 mile ride last summer.

I must've bonked for lack of eating.

It was the longest ride I'd ever done, and I got discouraged. The last 16 miles were really hard. I could barely push the pedals for the last 6. I ate a little bit at the two rest stops, but nowhere near "a fig newton every 9 minutes"! I didn't eat much because I always got nauseous and stomach achey if I ate while exercising. Two months later, I ran the marathon, and had learned about Gu. I ate a Gu every hour on that race.

Since then, I've joined this board and learned so much more about nourishing myself during long rides. I'm looking forward to this summer! Thanks, ladies!

Lise

SnappyPix
02-15-2006, 11:07 AM
At least she had the good sense to duck. ;) I have to say, Snappy, the NZ cafe culture is something I really miss.

:rolleyes:

Tlkiwi - I have to really restrain myself here as I'm in danger about waxing lyrical about everything Kiwi for the next 3 hours! I think it's safe to say I've fallen in love with the country big-style and the only down-side is trying to commute through the middle of Auckland by bike in rush hour traffic!
Summer here is phenomenal - and I love how the Kiwis only need the slightest excuse to crack open their chilly bins for a mass picnic in the park or at the beach!
I'm in denial about the fact I'll be coming back to the UK sometime later this year (although it keeps getting later and later, and I might find one day that I never did get on that plane!).

Seriously though, Marmite - it's the business!!
Sorry for temporarily hijacking this thread!

DirtDiva
02-15-2006, 01:16 PM
Wax away, I say. :D

crazycanuck
02-16-2006, 01:12 AM
Snappy...I admire you for even attempting to ride in Auckland traffic...!!!! :eek: :eek: ONe day, one day, one day they'll sort out the mess. Who knows, mr cereal king hubbard might have a chance there...

(I used to ride from mt albert to penrose & had to take over the whole lane or else...)

happy riding.

c

ps-do you ever go to woodhill??? Enjoy the astroturf they put down?? grrrr

SnappyPix
02-16-2006, 10:51 AM
My commute is a little hairy, to say the least - been knocked off once so far, and have about 6 near misses a day!
I've lost count of the number of times I've heard of cyclists being hit by cars on the travel reports on the radio!
I sometimes think I'm in the middle of a computer game, with extra points gained for avoiding the various hazards. Unfortunately, I only have one life, not three!
Despite how hideous my commute has been that day, I still feel smug when I cycle over the motorway flyover and see the cars at a standstill beneath me!
When I've asked people why they don't cycle they say there's too much traffic on the roads ... :confused:
I cycle through Mt Albert on my way to work - because of all the cars parked up in the cycle lane, I usually get the lane to myself - but have to share with the car owners who like to open their car doors on me as I approach, or who pull out on me because cyclists don't count!
Woodhill - never got that far, only as far as Muriwai Beach.