PDA

View Full Version : Montgomery County MD

Jen
02-10-2006, 04:07 AM
Any riders in Montgomery county? Any groups that ride that would accept a newbie? Yikes! I'ver never changed a flat, Well, maybe once about 20 years ago.

Selkie
02-10-2006, 01:49 PM
Hi Jen - I'm in Arlington County (Va). You should check out Potomac Pedalers. I belong but haven't been on one of their rides yet---they offer a lot of different group rides (vary by skill level, distance, terrain, etc). I think the website is www.pptc.org or .com.

tulip
02-11-2006, 09:38 AM
Learn to change a flat, or you will be sorry. Potomac Pedalers is the big groups around here, but there are others. Check at a few bike shops. Do you ride your bike to work? That's a great way to get in some miles in the time you would otherwise be crammed into a Metro or cursing the traffic in your car.

Jen
02-13-2006, 04:39 AM
I belong to ppc also. Haven't been on a ride yet. Need to become more comfortable and sure of myself on the bike first. Come on Spring. And yes, I should practice fixing a flat. I have a pump an and co2 cartridges and packed directions in my saddle bag. I should take off the wheel and try myself.

Jen
02-21-2006, 03:39 AM
I am mainly worried about getting a flat on the back wheel. Is it tricky to remove the back wheel, taking the chain off and all?

tulip
02-21-2006, 07:53 AM
I am mainly worried about getting a flat on the back wheel. Is it tricky to remove the back wheel, taking the chain off and all?

The key is to practice. When I got my driver's license, my father would not let me drive by myself until I had driven 1,000 miles with him AND had successfully completed changing each tire on the car.

The same should be required for everyone who rides a bike. Practice changing a tube until you are comfortable doing it. Winter is a great time to practice.

You do not take the chain off. The chain stays on the bike, but does come off of the cassette.

Check local bike shops for basic maintenance and repair classes. I have access to a bike repair stand and can give you a few lessons if you would like sometime. Just send me a PM.

Jen
02-22-2006, 04:57 AM
I'll give it a try. Soo, for the back wheel, you lift the lever to open the brake pads then release the quick release lever, take the chain off the back cassette and remove the wheel. Then, in my case for practice, remove the air from the tire and slip in a tire iron to start removing the tire, hook it to the spoke??? then remove the tire from the front of the rim by hand till you can get the tube out. Replace with new tube, put back on rim, inflate ( now or later) and put it back on the bike, hook up the chain to the cassette and go. Sounds easy, but can I do it? Not sure how to use the co2 cartridges.

tulip
02-22-2006, 10:47 AM
I'll give it a try. Soo, for the back wheel, you lift the lever to open the brake pads then release the quick release lever, take the chain off the back cassette and remove the wheel. Then, in my case for practice, remove the air from the tire and slip in a tire iron to start removing the tire, hook it to the spoke??? then remove the tire from the front of the rim by hand till you can get the tube out. Replace with new tube, put back on rim, inflate ( now or later) and put it back on the bike, hook up the chain to the cassette and go. Sounds easy, but can I do it? Not sure how to use the co2 cartridges.

You are almost there! To get the chain off the cassette, push the derailleur pulley forward toward the front of the bike and fiddle the chain off the cassette while pulling the wheel backwards. Confused now? It's a whole lot easier on a bike stand, but you can turn the bike upside down.

For the tire iron part, hook one tire iron like you described opposite the valve, and hook a second one a few spokes away. With the third iron, remove the tire from one side of the rim. Then you can take the tube off but the tire stays on the rim (one side).

I am not a fan of C02 cartriges. Always carry a small pump as a backup because no matter how well you know how to change a tire, if your CO2 cartridge fails, you won't be able to pump up your tire like a balloon.

Make sure your wheel is centered when you put it back on. Practice with someone around who can help if you need it at first. Your hands will get dirty.

MomOnBike
02-23-2006, 07:33 AM
If you're at all like me, you might want to practice the back-wheel removal-flat fixing process at home with nobody around to criticise - or worse, take over when you stop to figure out the next move.

In other words, practice at home, it's easier on the ego - and faster on the road.

Jen
03-01-2006, 04:11 AM
Potomac Peddlers club has a ride at Lewes Beach in May, weekend ride. Looks like so much fun. I want to try to learn how to ride this bike better so that I am totally comfortable on it by May. Don't think I should ride with a group till I feel solid on the bike. Think that is enough time? I really want to go. Don't know a soul so I will really have to push myslef to do this.

Selkie
03-01-2006, 01:33 PM
Jen - Lewes is very nice. Check out Cape Henlopen when you are there. I would like to do that ride but won't be able to make it. Sounds like it will be the perfect thing---very low key. You can also take the ferry from Lewes to Cape May, NJ.

withm
03-01-2006, 04:40 PM
Jen

There is beautiful riding in Lewes - go ! You will love it. I live just a few miles down the road from there, and ride there sometimes. My bike club has on its calendar that Potomac Pedalers are coming to town that weekend and I think we are joining them for something - not exactly sure just yet. Let me know if you decide to do the ride.

Martha
A former Montgomery Countian (lived in Gaithersburg for 20 yrs.)

bikerz
03-01-2006, 04:52 PM
(Sorry - OT!)

This thread keeps catching my eye - I lived in Rockville from when I was 8 to 16 - I get such a hit of recogniton everytime I see the title!

Jen
03-02-2006, 03:38 AM
Hey there former Montgomery Countians!! Good to hear from you. Do miss it? The Lewes ride sounds awesome. Since it is for entire weekend, I should be able to meet some nice Biking people. The terrain is flat, easy ride but fun. I am going to make myself go. I have no friends that bike and spin like I do. Guess I'll have to go alone and make some new friends.:)

dingster1
06-27-2006, 04:44 AM
Hello

I'm getting back into cycling after a few years. Deciding between a comfort and a MTB at the moment to commute to work and class and hit a few trails here and there. Not a hard cyclist.....yet may get there eventually;)

Kalidurga
07-04-2006, 08:44 AM
I do most of my riding on the C&O Canal towpath &/or the WMRT Rail-Trail out around Hancock, Md, with occasional forays down to the W&OD or up to the NCRT. I'm hesitant to do a real road ride (I know how I drive on the back roads around here), though I'm finding that Antietam and Gettysburg battlefields are good spots to build up a comfort level for dealing with cars. If anyone's interested in getting together for a ride, let me know.

dingster1
07-04-2006, 05:05 PM
I bet you have one of those expensive road bikes too?? Got pics:o

Selkie
07-05-2006, 12:23 AM
Kali - I'm hoping to have my 'cross bike either later this month or in August. After I get it, I'd love to ride w/you on the C&O. Maybe I can meet you at Calderock or Great Falls? Right now, I have just road bikes which can't handle the C&O's terrain.

Kalidurga
07-05-2006, 03:06 AM
I bet you have one of those expensive road bikes too?? Got pics:o

Depends on what you consider expensive, dingster. In March I traded my old Schwinn hybrid in for a Specialized TriCross (http://bikemag.com/gear/013006_specialized/). I got the Sport version for $1000 instead of the Comp. To me, that's expensive enough. I've been wanting to get more into road riding, but I felt a road bike wouldn't be as comfortable on the C&O (or if I just get a wild hair and decide to try riding in the woods, too!). I do need to take some picks of the pony, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Kali - I'm hoping to have my 'cross bike either later this month or in August. After I get it, I'd love to ride w/you on the C&O. Maybe I can meet you at Calderock or Great Falls? Right now, I have just road bikes which can't handle the C&O's terrain.

Carderock or Great Falls would work fine, mickchick. If you ever feel like driving a bit farther, I usually get on the C&O out past Potomac where there are a lot less people. One of my favorite spots is actually the area up around Harper's Ferry/Shepherdstown. Or, I'd be happy to head down towards the Mt. Vernon trail. Old Town down to Mt. Vernon's a nice ride. What sort of 'cross are you shopping for and at what shop?

dingster1
07-05-2006, 03:38 AM
Another question. Any of you guys in Potomac Peddlers? I was looking around and this seems to be the prime club for this area. Are there any ladies only clubs?

Selkie
07-05-2006, 10:17 AM
I belong to Potomac Pedalers but haven't done one of their rides yet. There's a gals bike club here in Arlington (Babes on Bikes) which I used to belong to but since they ride during weekdays, I couldn't go on any of their rides. Unfortunately, I've still got 12.5 years left on my "sentence" before I'm eligible for retirement at full pension (release w/no parole, haha!!) and do what I want with my time!!

I'm getting a custom 'cross bike---Margo at Luna Cycles is building it for me. I've ordered it from her directly. Did the same thing with my Eclipse, which is a pre-built bike that fits like a glove, and was so pleased w/the bike & her customer service that I decided to have her build my 'cross bike. I tried some "off the rack" 'cross bikes but couldn't find anything that fit. Considered IF and Seven custom 'cross bikes, but decided to get a second Luna.

Kalidurga
07-05-2006, 04:44 PM
I'm getting a custom 'cross bike---Margo at Luna Cycles is building it for me. I've ordered it from her directly. Did the same thing with my Eclipse, which is a pre-built bike that fits like a glove, and was so pleased w/the bike & her customer service that I decided to have her build my 'cross bike.

Custom bikes, huh? Why do I get the feeling I'm not gonna be able to keep up with you if we ride together? :o

tulip
07-06-2006, 08:57 AM
do let me know if you go for a ride. I have a Luna, too, but I'll ride my other one on the C&O.

By the way, it's the rider that makes a bike go fast. A full custome titanium-carbon-whatever bike is only as fast as the rider riding it. But my Luna sure is comfy!

Selkie
07-06-2006, 01:31 PM
Custom bikes, huh? Why do I get the feeling I'm not gonna be able to keep up with you if we ride together? :o

No one gets dropped, girl. That's rule #1 of riding together--it's to have fun, enjoy each other's company, laugh, NOT race. I agree w/Tulip---it's the rider, not the bike. Besides, on the C&O, I'll be going slower because of all the rocks and stuff.

mtbmargie
07-06-2006, 02:14 PM
hi... another gal from the dc area jumping in here. if you guys go on a ride on the C&O I'd love to join you guys. i'm out in PG county in maryland but willing to drive out anywhere to ride with others. i mainly ride by myself on the WBA trail and with my SO when i visit him. so the compnay of other women would be nice! let me know if you are all up for it some weekend!
-m

tulip
07-06-2006, 02:39 PM
I've gone on several Potomac Pedalers rides, and I've really enjoyed them. Unfortunately, I have to drive pretty long distances to get to the ride start.

I'm on the DC-Prince Georges County line. I can ride to the C&O no problem.

Kalidurga
07-06-2006, 04:38 PM
Anyone want to do the C&O this Sunday, 7/9? I can do pretty much any time of day, though I usually pedal later in the afternoon because it's less crowded then.

Disclaimer: This would be my first non-solo ride, so I've no clue of the "etiquette" of a group ride. I usually aim for anything from 20 - 30 miles, and I tend to average a bit over 12mph due to much coasting while checking out the scenery. I also tend to get a bit whiny if there's too much gravel on the path (yes, I whine to myself as I ride alone... :rolleyes: ). Still interested?

mtbmargie: I've thought of checking out the WBA trail. How crowded is it usually?

mtbmargie
07-07-2006, 12:31 PM
hey kali! short notice... i would go but i'm traveling this weekend and won't be back until late sunday night. i may be able to go next weekend... the 16th. i'll have to check my work schedule next week first. i'll let you know.

as for the WBA trail. the part i'm near can get crowded. a lot of people use it to walk/run. the section near me is only about 4 miles one way. i usually combine it with roads and an mtb trail at the high school. if you are willing to come out this way, the trail around BWI is also an option. There is also the baltimore-annapolis trail.. i believe it's 13miles one way. both of those trails are paved. i'm not sure how crowded those get as i've never riden them. it's a lot easier to hop on the trail by my house than drive out to BWI airport. i've been thinking of riding it one weekend though just for a change of pace. if you plan on coming out here some time let me know and we can ride together.

have a good weekend!
-m

Kalidurga
07-07-2006, 01:14 PM
hey kali! short notice... i would go but i'm traveling this weekend and won't be back until late sunday night. i may be able to go next weekend... the 16th.

I'm open pretty much any Sunday. I work one or two Saturday's a month so that's a trickier day for me, but I'm fairly flexible (the joy of being single!). I'm also willing to drive pretty much anywhere in MD or Northern VA, but I do tend to stay away from crowded trails if I can. Let me know any time that you want to get together :)

tulip
07-07-2006, 07:19 PM
This Sunday I'll be watching the finals of the World Cup...last chance to watch Zizou's magic.

Another Sunday ought to be fine. The problem with bike trails is that they are crowded on the weekends. I prefer roads, but I do understand the aversion to cars that many riders have.

I hope that we can work something out soon.