PDA

View Full Version : Back in USA and LOVE my new Trek Pilot!

emily_in_nc
05-04-2013, 07:18 AM
Some of you may remember that I bought a used Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD on Ebay...that was back at Christmas time. We were living in Belize, so I had it shipped to my mother's house in NC, where it had stayed all boxed up until we got here in April (after moving back to the US from Belize) and put it together.

I'm pleased to report that it is a dream! A few cosmetic scratches, but otherwise very clean and in great shape. The 47 cm size (with relaxed geometry) fits perfectly, and even the Bontrager saddle is comfortable (at least on a short ride). I love the color of the frame, and the bike is very light.

Here are a couple of photos from my first (and only -- it's been really chilly since then, and we've been very busy) ride on my new baby:

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz82/emilys7atgmaildotcom/Cycling/IMG_4385800x574_zps54a9bff9.jpg

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz82/emilys7atgmaildotcom/Cycling/IMG_4381800x735_zps651f00cd.jpg

Can't wait for more spring weather to really get the riding season started! :)

IBrakeforPastry
05-04-2013, 07:21 AM
Congratulations! I'm sure you're glad to finally get to test it out. Happy miles!

OakLeaf
05-04-2013, 07:51 AM
Yummmy!

Crankin
05-04-2013, 08:07 AM
I was just wondering what you were up to after arriving backin the US.
Love the color, Emily. I chose that color (or one very similar) for my custom build.
Have fun!!

Catrin
05-04-2013, 04:45 PM
Lovely bike, and have fun!

Owlie
05-04-2013, 05:33 PM
Yay! I love that blue.

TigerMom
05-04-2013, 09:11 PM
Congrats! You look ectastic! Plus, it sounds like the bike was a good deal too.

Miranda
05-05-2013, 04:17 AM
Welcome back to the states! And what a lovely bike!! LOVE the blue. So pretty. Wishing you many happy and safe miles together. Thanks for sharing.:)

emily_in_nc
05-05-2013, 12:51 PM
Congrats! You look ectastic! Plus, it sounds like the bike was a good deal too.

It really was! I paid $700 (not including shipping). It's older (2006) but lightly ridden and full carbon with Ultegra. I expect to ride it for many years. If it ever gets warm and sunny again. ;)

AppleTree
05-06-2013, 12:03 PM
Sweet ride! Hope you get to ride many happy miles on it!

roguedog
05-06-2013, 08:58 PM
So glad to have you back stateside! Welcome Home, indeed. Enjoy the miles.

Jo-n-NY
06-07-2013, 01:21 PM
Congratulations Emily on your new bike and I wish you many safe and enjoyable riding miles on her. I am catching up on all the posts as I am not on the computer as much lately since I became unemployed in the beginning of April (however, not complaining :) needless to say my good wishes are a bit late.

emily_in_nc
06-07-2013, 05:35 PM
Ah, no problem, JoAnn! So, tell us about this unemployment and why you're not complaining...is this semi-retirement, a sabbatical, or what? Hope all is going well for you and that you're getting to ride lots!

marni
06-07-2013, 08:12 PM
I ride a 2006 Trek Pilot 5.2 which is the same shade of blue but doesn't have the swirly thingies on it. Bebe (the bike) has almost 40,000 miles on her and is still going strong. Great bike and a sister to yours.

emily_in_nc
06-08-2013, 09:44 AM
I ride a 2006 Trek Pilot 5.2 which is the same shade of blue but doesn't have the swirly thingies on it. Bebe (the bike) has almost 40,000 miles on her and is still going strong. Great bike and a sister to yours.

Cool! What is the difference between the 5.0 and 5.2, do you know? I am assuming the 5.2 is an upgrade...

Bike Writer
06-08-2013, 10:23 AM
Just saw this thread, beautiful new bike! Love the color.

marni
06-08-2013, 06:15 PM
not sure other than the lack of of pretty swirlies and perhaps a bit less weight. Mine came with shimano dura ace gearing, triple ring, road drops, bontrager race lite wheels and tires,Bontrager saddle which has since worn out and been replaced with a terry ibis, full carbon. cane creek headset, at the time. t was the top of the line of non race bikes and before they had WSD versions and its measurements are 48/52 to technically it is more a man geometry than a woman geometry. I switched out the standard road bike handlebars for a road bike and stryker aero bar set up and had shims put into the brakes so I could reach the brakes more easily. It was a closeout item from the previous year so I got it for a very nice price.

My new bike ( to celebrate my 65 th last month will be a trek madone, wsd but I have to decide exactly what I will be wanting on/with it.

emily_in_nc
06-09-2013, 06:19 PM
Sounds like the main difference is that you got Dura-Ace, I got Ultegra. Other than that, and the swirlies, most of the componentry, wheels, etc. are the same. I really love the Pilot since the geometry is relaxed. This is the first road bike I've ever had with the sloping, rather than straight, top bar, which is the only way I could ride a frame as "big" as a 47cm. It fits me perfectly and is smooth and lovely to ride. Shifts like a dream. I also got it for a great price since I bought used on ebay, so I couldn't be happier -- well, unless it had slightly lower gearing. The 12-25 in back is the most aggressive gearing I've ever had since I am a hill weenie!

Jo-n-NY
06-13-2013, 06:54 AM
Ah, no problem, JoAnn! So, tell us about this unemployment and why you're not complaining...is this semi-retirement, a sabbatical, or what? Hope all is going well for you and that you're getting to ride lots!

The company I worked 21 years for closed the NY (Manhattan) office so I am on a nice package at the moment and enjoying some free time. I am 8 yrs shy of Social Security so I will need to get something that offers medical benefits. I am pretty active helping out in the bike shop my husband works at so I hang out a lot in there and I will accompany him on his trip to CO for the Specialized 1014 launch in July. Then I will start looking for some kind of office job. I am packaged into February so I am good for a while.

emily_in_nc
06-13-2013, 06:37 PM
The company I worked 21 years for closed the NY (Manhattan) office so I am on a nice package at the moment and enjoying some free time. I am 8 yrs shy of Social Security so I will need to get something that offers medical benefits. I am pretty active helping out in the bike shop my husband works at so I hang out a lot in there and I will accompany him on his trip to CO for the Specialized 1014 launch in July. Then I will start looking for some kind of office job. I am packaged into February so I am good for a while.

That is so awesome! Happy for you! :D And you are very lucky -- so many companies just shut down and lay people off without any severance. It's happened to so many good people I know. The company I worked for for most of my career declared bankruptcy and let so many people go without severance (since they were protected by the BK). I was "lucky" enough to keep my job, but when I was ready to leave, I had to resign and just get my vacation pay. I sure would have taken a package had one been offered!