PDA

View Full Version : Mostly back after being semi-AWOL - but my off-road headspace is meh.

zoom-zoom
04-29-2013, 06:50 PM
After breaking my right wrist while mountain biking (my best ever day on knobby tires, prior to the crash) in late Nov. I kinda gimped away with my tail between my legs for a while. Once I was able to ride again it was still only on the nowhere bike in front of the TV. Our extended Winter has not helped matters.

Getting back on the road bike and even on the CX bike for gravel road rides has been pretty comfortable. My wrist is coming along, but still nowhere near as strong and maneuverable as it was pre-injury. I am being patient, since I know it can take a solid year to get back within pre-injury range.

Yesterday I did my first mountain bike riding. Part of my time in the saddle was at a nearby women's only MTB clinic. It was a good time and I felt like bombing down some hills felt good, as well as climbing. I also learned to do some easy wheel lifts (I think DH said it was a "manual"). All went well. But what I am finding I struggle with is some turns...I think because my wrist is still so stiff.

Late afternoon DH and I drove to a park with flat, but very twisty MTB trails not far from our new house. I'd ridden there before, but it's not my favorite place. I really don't like tight turns and post-injury I am finding that I truly loathe them. I was off my bike as much as I was on it.

In many ways I am MORE gunshy and tentative now than I was before I had any off-road TITS ever. Now I KNOW that I can become majorly injured. Before the crash I felt uncoordinated, but at least I felt bomb-proof. Hopefully I will get beyond this. Though I will never again ride off-road without these. I have one for each wrist:
http://zoomy.smugmug.com/photos/i-JPsghqf/0/L/i-JPsghqf-L.jpg

I am registered for a 30ish mile MTB race in Nov., but I will play it by ear. I can transfer the registration if I don't feel up to it by Fall. In the meantime I'm putting most of my efforts into my first Olympic distance duathlon in July. DS may also inherit my current CX bike (which works well, as he's already outgrown his little Redline Conquest 24), since I've long wanted one with disc brakes and now I'm finding that the already inadequate cantis are really miserable when I don't have full grip strength on my right hand.

Owlie
04-29-2013, 09:33 PM
Once bitten, twice shy.

Are you seeing an OT/PT for the wrist? Baby steps. Is there anywhere non-technical you can go to get your confidence back and that doesn't require as much from a recovering wrist?

Let's commiserate. My knee won't do over 30 miles on the lower-geared CX bike (with the compact double that doesn't tweak it as much). Joints are stupid.

Catrin
04-30-2013, 01:05 AM
I really like the wrist guards! I had the same problem after returning to the mountain bike after my neck injury on the trail - though I certainly was never at your level. Second guessing was certainly behind at least some of my crashes last summer. I second the idea of finding some non-tech trails to start getting your confidence back - if that is an option in your area. Congrats on the manual - that is seriously cool :D :cool:

OakLeaf
04-30-2013, 03:09 AM
Whenever I've had a big off it's taken me a good long time to get my head back. For me, that end of the healing doesn't even BEGIN until I get back on whatever it was that threw me, and start to apply the lessons I'd learned intellectually from the crash (or even learn new ones that didn't appear to me until after I started riding again).

Day by day. Glad you're back.

Irulan
04-30-2013, 05:21 AM
I spent a whole summer riding gravel roads after a big wreck. Just give it time. Clinics help, too.

zoom-zoom
04-30-2013, 10:38 AM
I spent a whole summer riding gravel roads after a big wreck. Just give it time. Clinics help, too.

I'm OK with the thought of just sticking with what I know I can do, for now. I'm really eager to get back to CX, too...what freaks me out is dodging trees. The women who put on the free clinic this weekend are talking about doing more, so I will definitely hit as many as I can -- it was good and FUN!

Owlie, I did do about a month of PT once I was out of the cast and brace and it really was a great help. Now just trying to do as much as possible and make normal use of that wrist seems to be helping. Mostly I just have to be patient, I think. It took 2 years before my sprained left ankle felt mostly back to full function/strength/flexibility. I'd be happy if my wrist were good-to-go in just a year.

TigerMom
04-30-2013, 11:09 AM
Poor Zoom-Zoom. I am thinking of you.

Owlie
04-30-2013, 04:06 PM
I'm OK with the thought of just sticking with what I know I can do, for now. I'm really eager to get back to CX, too...what freaks me out is dodging trees. The women who put on the free clinic this weekend are talking about doing more, so I will definitely hit as many as I can -- it was good and FUN!

Owlie, I did do about a month of PT once I was out of the cast and brace and it really was a great help. Now just trying to do as much as possible and make normal use of that wrist seems to be helping. Mostly I just have to be patient, I think. It took 2 years before my sprained left ankle felt mostly back to full function/strength/flexibility. I'd be happy if my wrist were good-to-go in just a year.

Joints are dumb. I never quite got back the full range of motion in the ankle I broke as a teenager. (Granted, being a stubborn teenager I wasn't as inclined to do the exercises I was given. :rolleyes: )