PDA

View Full Version : The Possum

thekarens
04-18-2013, 02:11 PM
Two nights ago my partner asked me to bake the chicken that was in the refrigerated. Well, we keep some of our pans in the drawer under the oven. So, I open the drawer and it looks to me like the cat had messed in there. I was both furious and disgusted! I start to pull out all the pans, etc. thinking I'm going to sterilize and throw things away. I get the pans out and decide while I'm at it I'm going to also pull out the drawer and bleach it. I pull it out and see this (see attachment!)

For obvious reasons I freak, scream Oh, Sh&t! and slam the drawer back in. I then start calling everyone and their dog. It's about 6:30 at night and my partner is at her art class and won't be home until 10pm. I find out I have to get animal control to get him. Every one that I call tells me they can't come out until the following day. I choose the wise course and hide in the bedroom.

My partner comes home and I tell her they have quoted me 2 to 300 for possum extraction. She says, "Heck with that!" and proceeds to calmly sit down and eat dinner. Around 11:00 I hear the front door slam and she posts on FB that Operation Possum Extraction is complete. Later she told me she took out the drawer, took the pic and then turned the oven on as hot as it would go to convince the possum to come out. It comes out and she grabs it with BBQ tongs and tosses it out the front door.

Needless to say the things that were in that drawer got tossed in the trash and the drawer itself got the bleach treatment.

indysteel
04-18-2013, 02:41 PM
Given my intense fear of possums, I am (a) totally sympathetic to your reaction and (b) totally in awe of your partner! Well played! What an awesome story!!!

luvmyguys
04-18-2013, 02:49 PM
Oh my. I would have freaked as well. I think the bedroom was a sensible choice.

Love the extraction, complete with FB post, though!

indysteel
04-18-2013, 02:52 PM
Last summer, I discovered a possum hiding in our outdoor trash bin. I screamed and ran--which my husband thought was the funniest thing ever. Possums are creepy; what can I say?

thekarens
04-18-2013, 03:19 PM
We love wildlife and have no interest in any animal getting hurt. I just wanted to love it from afar :-)

Something both funny and disturbing is our puppy is the only one that knew it was there. For the past few days she's been digging under the stove. I assumed one of her toys rolled under there and had planned on eventually pulling out the stove to get it. Thank God I didn't :-)

Penny4
04-18-2013, 05:18 PM
Um, not to scare you, but how did he get in there, and can he get back in??

Did he move fast when he came out? I can only imagine the screaming and gibberish that would have come out of my mouth if i found that!

thekarens
04-18-2013, 06:21 PM
I'm almost positive that he got in through the dog door. That is now getting closed and locked at night.

He didn't move very fast at all. I think he was scared.

The wildlife guy says most of them get in through stove vents or from under the house. We have a slab, so it couldn't be under and our stove doesn't vent to the outside.

Biciclista
04-19-2013, 07:37 AM
i like the part about the tongs. LOL glad you got it out ALIVE.

goldfinch
04-19-2013, 02:27 PM
Your partner is way cool.

aponi
08-15-2013, 11:31 AM
Your partner is a bad@ss.

Our dogs killed one once. I bravely held a flashlight while my husband scooped it up in a shovel. You see where this is going right, yup playing possum. By the way the correct response to seeing a dead possum open its eyes and hiss is in fact to drop the flashlight and emit a high pitched girly scream.