PDA

View Full Version : Geocaching anyone?

Catrin
04-11-2013, 08:08 AM
Curious if anyone geocaches. Since I can't mountain bike any longer, I am going to take up geocaching as an excuse to go play in the woods! My celluar network is really bad in the woods, but as my phone has a GPS then that shouldn't be an issue. I am thinking this might be another way to have a bit of adventure in my life since I can't go ride over roots and rocks :) So instead of mountain bike camping trips, have geocaching camping trips~

luvmyguys
04-11-2013, 10:57 AM
I love geocaching, but haven't done it since pre-bike days (too busy unless it's summer). I wondered how much fun it would be to start searching for geocaches with two wheels instead of four.

Fortunately, in this urban jungle, there are plenty that are road bike accessible . . .

(Sorry, no other tips, but I'll be interested in what comes up!)

Hi Ho Silver
04-11-2013, 11:46 AM
I used to geocache. It was a great way to enjoy the outdoors, explore the area in which I lived, and challenge my intuition. I don't know how well a GPS-enabled phone will work for geocaching, but it is worth a try. Back when I was 'into' the game, the premier site for finding cache coordinates was : www.geocaching.com

If you decide to give it a try, take a small tool kit (flashlight, pair of tweezers, multi-tool knife, pencil & paper, minor first aid stuff) with you. Happy hunting!

pumpkinpony
04-17-2013, 06:44 AM
I geocache at times. It's fun with or without a bike. :-) I do recommend getting a real GPS though, something like the Garmin eTrex for instance. I've tried using my phone, and find it to be quite inaccurate in comparison to the eTrex. I was getting annoyed with it last week, and put the phone right next to the eTrex and had a 50 ft difference in location, with the eTrex being spot-on. You can use the phone, just be prepared to get frustrated or widen your search area!

Catrin
04-17-2013, 07:33 AM
Thanks for the tips! I have to be budget conscious so will try my smart phone first ;) Just looking for different ways to explore the woods!