PDA

View Full Version : Specialized Shoes and Frogs

mcook
04-04-2013, 11:50 AM
I am looking to purchase my first cycling shoes and pedals. I have a road bike. My riding mostly consists of group, charity rides, and eventually Bike Across Kansas ride, which includes stops in small towns to sightsee. I feel with what I will be doing, that a walkable cycling shoe would be best for me. My LBS has recommended Frogs and Specialized MotoDiva, Riata, or Spirita RBX. I would appreciate your opinions on this selection. Thanks

indysteel
04-04-2013, 12:03 PM
Did you try any of the shoes on? For me, fit is really an issue with cycling shoes as I have a narrow heel that slips in most shoes. The only shoes that fit me are "road" shoes, i.e., shoes where the cleat is not recessed as it is in the shoes you mentioned. So, I'd start with trying on the shoes available to you. IMO, they should ideally be snug but not tight and your heal should not slip in them. Be sure to try them on with socks similar to what you ride in.

The various pedal systems themselves each have their pros and cons. The people I know who use Frogs like them for what it's worth, but not everybody likes the unlimited "float" that Speedplay pedals offer. (float refers to the amount your knee can move laterally without unclipping from the pedal). But if you'd like to read more about Frogs, you might use the search feature. I think there are some past threads about them. One of our more regular members--Catrin--has them and has offered some feedback on them.

mcook
04-04-2013, 01:28 PM
I've tried on every shoe brand available in town. Shimano, Specialized, Bontrager. Not a big selection. Specialized were best. I have a very narrow heel as well. They did slip slightly when walking. I was told that was normal? I just dont I feel I can walk as needed in a traditional road shoe. Wish I had more selections locally. Wondering about Diadora, Giro, Lake, and Sidi (although they are very pricy)

Owlie
04-04-2013, 02:25 PM
Specialized, from my experience, tends to run wide and a little big. Granted, I have a narrow heel and it slips in pretty much every shoe out there (street and cycling). but my heel slips badly in my Specialized shoes, to the point where I can feel it slipping with each pedal stroke. I'm not sure how "normal" heel slip should be, and I'm somewhat suspicious of it being an attempt to close the sale.

If you have a narrow heel, consider Louis Garneau (they didn't work for me, but they might for you), Sidi or Mavic, depending on how narrow your heel is relative to the rest of your foot.

thekarens
04-04-2013, 03:30 PM
I had/have the same issue and got Specialized because it was the most comfortable over all. I bought some heel pad things that stick on the inside of the shoe from Walgreens. Seems to do the trick so far.

Owlie
04-04-2013, 05:05 PM
Specialized's shoes are pretty comfy overall, and I like having a little extra room for thicker socks in winter. I think the heel is still to wide for me to use to use those heel pads. I'd just end up with a blister there. It's fine with thicker socks, but in summer socks...

Catrin
04-05-2013, 03:06 AM
If you have narrow or narrowish heels, then you also want to check out the Mavic Scorpios. I've narrow heels and these work very nicely for me. I also ride Speedplay Frogs and it is a good combination for me. I should have, perhaps, went one size up on the Scorpios but that isn't a fault of the shoe but of mine for only trying on one size without really understanding how they should fit. This will be my third season with these shoes and I really do like them. I just always wear thin socks all year.

mcook
04-05-2013, 05:25 AM
If you have narrow or narrowish heels, then you also want to check out the Mavic Scorpios. I've narrow heels and these work very nicely for me. I also ride Speedplay Frogs and it is a good combination for me. I should have, perhaps, went one size up on the Scorpios but that isn't a fault of the shoe but of mine for only trying on one size without really understanding how they should fit. This will be my third season with these shoes and I really do like them. I just always wear thin socks all year.

Catrin, are you using the Scorpios on a Road Bike? I may order some to try. I see good reviews on them. Are they true to size? I'm usually a 7 or 7.5. Thanks.

Catrin
04-05-2013, 05:36 AM
Catrin, are you using the Scorpios on a Road Bike? I may order some to try. I see good reviews on them. Are they true to size? I'm usually a 7 or 7.5. Thanks.

Yes, I use my Frogs/Scorpios for road riding. They are European sizing - I take a size 10 in athletic shoes and if my memory is correct (I am not home), I bought these in a size 41. I should have at least tried on a 42. Bottom line, as with any shoe, try to find a local source so you can try them on before buying - if ordering online make certain they have a good return policy just in case.