PDA

View Full Version : Candisc

kjay
02-08-2006, 05:54 PM
Has anyone ever heard of or ridden CANDISC (Cycling Around North Dakota in Sakakawea Country)? My 45th high school reunion takes place in August, and I'd love to tack on a bike tour. Only thing is I can't find any place to rent a road bike in that entire state. I have a hybrid (not good for long tours). Maybe it's not all bad, as there are probably better places to ride in the hot month of August.

http://www.parkrec.nd.gov/recreation/activities/candisc.htm

r900
03-17-2006, 06:22 PM
Hi, I have cycled candisc quite a few times. I haven't been on many other group rides in other states so I have nothing to compare it to. It can get hot, 100f, and it can be nasty cold if you get caught in a thunderstorm. The last few years there have been about 4-500 riders.It has 2 luggage trucks, port-a-john trailer, a four stall shower trailer ( privacy, clean and hot water) sag wagon, traveling mechanic, and rangers on the route checking on the riders. We usually stay at the school grounds of the towns we ride to. The towns will serve breakfast and supper at the school. Daily mileage is usually 60-70 miles but this year there will be a couple of days that will be about 40 miles. The route will be light to moderate rolling hills. Vehicle traffic will be light until we get close to Bismarck. Rest stops are usually placed about every 20 miles but take that with a grain of salt. Bike rental could be a problem. I would try Val's Cyclery in Minot, ND or Dakota Cyclery in Bismarck and Medora, ND. Dakota Cyclery runs a mountain bike outfitter store in Medora but recently closed their store in Bismarck. There is another bike store in Bismarck but I haven't been there. And there is the Scheel's store in Bismarck but I do not know if they rent. This ride is out in the wide open prairie, no forrests, lots of blue sky. My group of irregulars(pals from canada and bismarck)like to leave early in the day just in case the wind comes up.

kjay
03-17-2006, 07:51 PM
Am I ever happy to hear from you, r900! I was beginning to think I'd never hear from anyone about Candisc. I have talked with the mechanic at Val's Cyclery, and he was very helpful, plus I've also called the other shops you mentioned, but no rentals. I am now leaning toward buying a road bike, and might as well if I plan to go on longer rides. Having grown up in No Dak, you'd think I'd remember that it can get hot/cold quickly, but it was so long ago that I have forgotten. I would plan to stay in motels, as I've never camped in my life, nor have I biked over 40 miles in one day. LOL I like to keep pushing myself, though. I've read that this is one of the best supported bike events in the U.S., so I was a bit surprised at your comment, "Rest stops are usually placed about every 20 miles but take that with a grain of salt." But you should know, as you've ridden this several times. I imagine it's safe for a gal to ride alone because of all the support along the way? Thank you so much for responding to my posting. I really appreciate it.

r900
03-18-2006, 01:57 PM
Hey, NoDak,welcome aboard! I think you'll have a good time rolling through the state.You'll do fine once you get some mileage under your belt.If you can build your mileage up to 60-70 miles in a day, the week of touring will be fun.There are riders of all ages and abilities so I doubt that you will riding solo.This could be a good year to do a century ride if you have never done one before. This is a well supported ride but some of us like to break camp kinda early just to see the sun rise so sometimes the reststops aren't set up yet. I carry 2 larger water bottles and a camelback so I can go about 60-70 miles without stopping so reststops aren't a big deal for me. You'll miss out on some cameriderie by not camping with the rest of us.You better check for motel rooms soon. The cyclists will double or tripple the population for the day in some of the towns.It is a good time being a tourist!Make sure your bike clothing and gear is broken in and good fitting i.e. shoes,socks, shorts, jerseys , helmet,gloves, bike saddle,pedals,ect.If you're comfortable on your bike,then there is no bad day on a bike.Don't let me forget, there is a traveling masseuse that sets up every day.Crickett is tops for sports therapy. Get a registration form and talk to **** Messerly for any extra info. I can't remember if I ride to eat or if I eat to ride !

kjay
03-19-2006, 09:21 AM
r900, you have been sooooo helpful and I can't thank you enough. This means a lot to talk with someone who has actually ridden this ride. I better get my new bike soon so that I can break it in. I find myself really wanting to ride this tour and will call Messerly (actually, I'm not sure he's even there anymore because I keep getting another name on the message recorder) to find out if I can possibly ride the SAG if I absolutely need to. Again, thank you a bunch! :)

Kathi
03-19-2006, 12:29 PM
We're planning on signing up for Candisc, however. we're waiting to make sure I'm back on the bike by then. I'm recovering from ACL surgery.

I agree, camping is more fun, you get to know the group better. One year I did TRIRI by myself and had no problems.

I sort of panicked when I saw the topo map until I realized that there wasn't much difference in elevation.

I'm orginally from Cincinnati and have toured in the east and midwest so this will be my first tour west of Wisconsin.

kjay
03-19-2006, 12:55 PM
Great to hear from you regarding Candisc, Kathi. I imagine camping would be fun, but by myself I'm not so sure. I can't imagine having to go outdoors to the bathroom in the middle of the night. I imagine all sorts of things, like forgetting where to go, forgetting where my tent is located on return from the bathroom, stumbling into someone else's tent, etc. I've browsed a number of sites looking for tents and sleeping bags, but to pay all that for a one-time camping outing doesn't sound like the right thing to do for me. But it sure does sound like fun and would definitely be an adventure for me. Good luck with the healing from your surgery. Thankfully, August is a ways away.

r900
03-19-2006, 05:54 PM
Hi Kathi and Kjay, I think you'll enjoy candisc. The first few days will be light rolling plains. The long day from Strausberg to Bismarck will be a little more agressive since we'll riding the Missouri breaks. It's quite pretty riding into Bismarck from the south, going along the high buttes and coasting into town at a nice 45mph descent. The sag wagon is a winnebago pulling a bike trailer, nobody gets left behind.The days route gets scoured for any biker that needs a lift. The candisc route changes from year to year, and this is a fairly mild route, but don't count out the winds.Enjoy!

Kathi
03-25-2006, 07:12 AM
Good news,

My os has ok'd me to start easy riding around the neighborhood, so we're signing up for Candisc this weekend.

Kjay, I did a tour by myself and camped. I had not camped by myself so I imagined all kinds of scary things. Usually the grounds are lite well enough that walking around at night isn't a problem and I was tired enough that I didn't lay awake worrying about the creatures of the night coming out of the woods to get me.

The only drawback to camping is rain. Packing a wet tent is no fun.

On some of the tours I've been on that stay on school grounds the gyms are open for anyone wanting to sleep inside. Not very private but close to the bathrooms.

kjay
03-25-2006, 08:57 AM
Hi, Kathi and r900, and anyone else who reads this. . . . :)

I am so happy to tell you that I've signed up for the Candisc ride and am really looking forward to it. I decided to reserve motel rooms, as I'm somewhat of a wimp. When I was a little girl, I lived in Steele (one of the Candisc stops along the way), and when I called the motel in Steele, I told them who my father was and his name, and almost broke into tears when the gal said to me, "Oh, is this Karen?" It's been about 50 years since I lived there, so I was stunned out of my mind that anyone there would remember me or my family.

Thanks for your messages. It's so great to connect with gals who are participating in or who have participated in Candisc.

KabyMom
04-07-2006, 11:23 AM
Hello kjay, r900 and kathi from a native NoDak. (Now live south of the border in SoDak but my heart is still from the north!)

My parents live SW of Minot and I am thinking of doing CANDISC this year. I've always wanted to and now I went and bought the bike so I'm really interested this year! I think it would work out great for me because my three kids could stay with grandpa and grandma for the week and Garrison is only 30 miles away from them so I'd be set.

kjay, I also would be riding alone and not sure about hotel or camping, leaning towards camping....

I think I need someone to talk me into this....
SoDak has the Tour deKota in June that I am also thinking about doing but have to get registered for that by Apr 15.

Tammy

kjay
04-07-2006, 06:13 PM
KabyMom, it's great to hear you're consididering CANDISC. You're so close, and the location is so very convenient for you that I don't know how you could go wrong. I talked with the coordinator (at Ft. Stephenson State Park) this morning, and it helped me to get a better handle on things, such as shuttles from the Bismarck airport to Ft. Stephenson, shipping my bike, etc, etc. He gave me a lot of good info about the terrain, winds, SAG, etc. Staying in motels every night runs around $30 to 40, which is quite reasonable, but naturally not as reasonable as camping every night.

I am in the throes of buying a new bike and just got fitted yesterday, so am really looking forward to taking a tour with my very own new bike. I rented a road bike in Hawaii, but it was too small for me and left bruises all over my legs.

Sounds as though you already have camping gear; so being able to drive to the destination, having your parents so close by, etc., should be some very strong motivators.

Hope to hear soon that you plan to participate. :)

r900
04-15-2006, 07:13 PM
Hi all, How goes the knee therapy Kathi? doing well I hope.Kabymom you must be from that Parshall country? That is nice cycling country. I think I've been through four or five times on candisc. Kjay , do you have that bike picked out yet? I found a book of trip sheets from a couple years back. You can have them if you want, just to see what you'll be using this year. The route is all mapped out on www.ndparks.com . There are no rest stops set yet but the daily maps are done nice and they include altitude changes. I think I will sneak away for a ride tomorrow. cycle on!

Kathi
04-16-2006, 06:03 PM
R900, the therapy is going well, I'm ahead of schedule, just giving the graft time to heal. I've been doing some riding outdoors, but finding the right platform pedal, shoe combination is a pain (no clipless). I should be back in the clipless by the end of July.

We got our confirmation and I ordered a new bike.:) My reward for all the pain and suffering I've gone though the last 3 months.

We have a couple from Tenn who are going to join us. Actually, Karen grew up in N. Dakota, that's how we conned her into the ride.

Things are definately looking up!

kjay
04-16-2006, 06:15 PM
I'm always so happy when I see continuing messages re CANDISC. Kathi, it's good to hear you're progressing well and quickly. You'll be raring to go in no time at all. r900, I may be getting a Trek Pilot, but the bike shop had to order it, and it's not in yet. I have yet to test ride the bike, but am thinking I'll like it. I love my hybrid because I can go off-road, but it will be great to be able to go faster with a road bike. I'm spinning like crazy so that I'll be ready for August! :D

kjay
04-16-2006, 06:16 PM
Kathi, which bike are you getting?

Kathi
04-17-2006, 03:00 PM
Kathi, which bike are you getting?

:) Custom Serotta Ottrott, 650c wheels, Ouzo Pro fork. I ordered it Thursday, should get it around the first of June.

kjay
04-17-2006, 03:32 PM
Very very nice! I had to "google" this, as it's new to me, but now I see why! It's a beauty!

luv'nAustin
04-17-2006, 06:35 PM
Hey Ladies! I also grew up in North Dakota and I think that I may do this ride as well. I fif bike the border last year with my brother and it was really fun. Rory from Val's shop in Minot was the mechanic and he did a great job. I think he will also help with this ride. HOpe to see you there.

KabyMom
04-18-2006, 08:46 AM
More Nodakers coming out of the wood work --- cool !

yes, r900, I grew up on a farm North of Makoti, which maybe you've ridden thru on CANDISC before?

I signed up to ride the Tour deKota in SD here, June 11-16 from Yankton to Milbank. I am going to see how that goes and how the rest of my summer shapes up before I make the decision on whether or not I'm going to ride CANDISC or not.

I have had my new Bianchi Vigorelli for about 10 days now and just love it. Have managed to put on about 150 miles which isn't too bad considering we had Easter company at our house so stealing away to ride was hard.

eclectic
06-29-2006, 02:57 PM
Hi Kjay, Kathi, R900 and Kabymom !

It is time to resurrect the CANDISC thread.

I am signed up to do my first Candisc also and have been mentally preparing since last August!

FYI
I am a prairie native and have lived in NoDak for the last 28 years and I still have not made friends with the wind. I started casual cycling about 4 summers ago, started doing club rides, upgraded to a road bike last July and tripled the miles I did in a season, thus giving me the confidence to shoot for Candisc this year.

Because Candisc is in my backyard I have been able to pick the brains of many veterans. One of the overwhelming suggestions (laws) is pack EVERYTHING in waterproof bags. On Bike the border this past weekend gallon zip locks were used alot, I got the BIG ziplocks and put each full outfit for after the ride in it so I could just grab and hit the showers.

Rory (the master mechanic on the ride) advises everyone should have at least 500 miles logged before hitting candisc

Now that some months are passed since the last post Kathi did everything heal up well and are you able to get some miles on?

How did the SoDak ride go Kabymom ? and did you decide to take the leap into Candisc?

Hopefully you will read this and we can start the countdown

eclectic

kjay
06-29-2006, 03:25 PM
Howdy, eclectic, Kathi, R900 and Kabymom,

Our little group is growing! I am so looking forward to this ride and also look forward to meeting each of you. I've been communicating with a Candisc volunteer and just found out I'll shuttle up to Garrison yet on Friday shortly after my plane arrives in Bismarck. I have my long list of packing items, but am going to pare down as much as possible to fit everything into my rack pack plus my bright pink and black backpack (should be highly visible) :D

Will be shipping my bike to Rory roughly two weeks before the event. I'll be able to rent a bike case from a nearby bike shop, which is helpful because they cost around $250.

Will you be taking cell phones with you in order to contact the SAG if necessary? My cell phone only works in my local area, so am unsure whether or not I need something more sophisticated for the bike trip. Am tempted just to wing it.

One of the (cute) guys at the local bike shop said he had ridden from Chicago to Montana through No Dak and really enjoyed it . . wind and all. Said he saw lightning strike an old barn way out in the distance. That rather scares me. I don't believe I'd care to ride when it's lightning, but walking with a bike isn't much better ;)

I am sooooo glad this thread has started again.

kjay
06-29-2006, 03:29 PM
Oops, sorry, luv'nAustin, I didn't mean to exclude you. I hope you will be riding Candisc.

Kathi
06-29-2006, 04:52 PM
Hi everyone. Yes, I'm healing, but it's slow. Seems I've developed muscular strength, and cardio but the muscular endurance hasn't caught up yet. Hill climbing and wind seem to be my waterloo. My top mileage is 35 miles and I'm close to 800 miles for the year. I hope to get some 50's in the next couple of weeks.

The new bike is due to be shipped tomorrow but I'm not holding my breath. Serotta has a backlog.

It's been 2 years since I toured but I got a little taste of the protocol as my partner and friend who is doing Candisc with us did Ride the Rockies. I spent the 1st night and started making a mental list of what I need. Unfortunately, I tend to overpack.

Eclectic, thanks for the rain reminder. Coming from high and dry Denver, I tend to forget that the rest of the world gets rain!

If my new bikes makes it in time it will be very easy to identify. I'll post pix so if you see it you'll know its me.

KabyMom
06-29-2006, 05:08 PM
Hi to all the fellow NoDaker's!

I am still debating whether or not I will do CANDISC or not this year. I would love to do it but we are in the middle of a huge remodeling project at our home and also finishing the construction of our lake home so time is at a premium. I finished the SD Tour deKota on June 16th and have been on my bike once since then :(

I'm wondering if they've met their applicant limit yet? It says the first 500 riders. So I suppose if I am going to commit I must do so soon.....

Tour deKota in SD was a blast. I made it every mile! The first day was 75 miles, which was my longest ride to that date.... The second day of the tour was my first century! The last 10 miles were tough but I made it! Days 3, 4, and 5 were great. I just got progressively stronger as the week went on and it was awesome! I am going to do Tour deKota for sure again next year.

So my parents who live up there in ND and would have to take my kids for the week of CANDISC are going to be down here for the 4th so I will talk it over with them and my hubby and decide if I'm going to do it or not...

r900
06-29-2006, 07:59 PM
Hi Nordakers and Candiscers!, No backing out now! Thanks eclectic for not letting me forget about registration. That 500 rider rule is flexible. Our route this year has been kinda hot and a lot dry (think brown). It could change 5 weeks from now, but be prepared for heat in any case. Cell phones are at your discretion. Some of my friends carry them,I do not. The last thing I want to hear or use while I'm on vacation is a telephone.The sag wagon, mechanic, port-a-johns ,rangers,ect. patrol the route quite well. I always wrap all my belongings in my rain fly before I stuff it my bag. Lightning can be a killer. Thunderstorms usually pass through in an hour or two.Be flexible. See you all at Garrison!

eclectic
06-29-2006, 08:41 PM
WOW! awesome to hear from all of you already! Candisc is starting to be more fun already.

I don't think Luv'n Austin is going to be able to do Candisc this year, but I'll ask her again when I see her. I did a 25 mile ride with her this morning and she is the one who told me about this site. She is up here in the north country visiting family and went on the club ride with us last night.

Glad to hear you are getting some miles on Kathi. In fact you are doing great 800 miles seems like a lot when recovering from something. At that pace you will nail candisc.

Your SoDak tour sounds great Kabymom - I'll have to check that out for next year. 75's and 100's early in the season seems tough, congratulations. I can relate to having remodeling projects going on - but then think of the quality time the kids will have with g'ma and g'pa without mom around.

My longest day to date has been 60 miles in fairly good conditions so I am a little concerned about 60+ days in wind and heat. I am used to prairie thunderstorms so they don't worry me too much - just get low and wait them out - they usually pass through fairly quickly - an inch or two of rain later. Also if they follow the usual pattern they are between 4 and 5 am or 4 and 5 pm or after sunset, sometimes there is a rogue one during the day but not as often and usually not as intense - but I've been known to be wrong about prairie weather before.

R900 in the brochure it says no drafting. During BTB we got a couple of pace lines going for awhile to battle the wind and once again during the wind and the rain
It got us in quicker with less fatigue, we weren't doing the peloton style in a pack but single file - is that not allowed? I am concerned about 25 mph head winds on my own

Ride on
eclectic

r900
06-30-2006, 04:39 AM
Hi eclectic, hey, pacelines happen. They kinda discourage pacelines, can be sort of a traffic obstacle and sometimes they fall down and go boom. On the plus side, there's nothin cooler than getting a hot paceline going with some smart riders.The intensity, the gear-chain sound, the speed, soo cool. One year on Candisc I was overtaken by a double paceline.Elegance in motion.I will be in a paceline this year.

eclectic
08-01-2006, 05:06 PM
Hey everybody especially Kjay, R900, Kathi and Kabymom.

Only 4 more sleeps until checkin :D

Is there anyone else out there that is coming ? ? ? We'll have to try to have a TE get together :)

Kjay - I am not exactly sure yet, (I'll be talking to Rory tomorrow night) but I may be bringing your bike down to Fort Stephenson. We'll take good care Promise :)

We'll have to figure out how to ID each other It will be so fun to meet everyone.

kjay
08-01-2006, 05:26 PM
Hey, Eclectic, what a neat surprise to hear from you. I've been thinking about reopening the Candisc thread. It's getting really close now! My bike's in good hands, so I won't worry one iota. I'm shuttling from Bismarck Friday night and staying in Garrison. Am really looking forward to this trip, although I know darn well I won't be able to do 60 miles in one day. Will wait to see, though. I've been checking your weather, and at least it's cooled down a bit. I can send a pic but it would be via private mail. Can the rest of us do the same maybe? :)

Kathi
08-01-2006, 06:22 PM
Hi,

We're leaving in the morning. The car is packed and we're ready.

I too am worrying about the long days, we did 54 yesterday and I was tired. New bike that I'm not used to and very windy.

On the first day I will be wearing a MSO (Mountain Sports Outlet) jersery, pink and black with matching socks, Colorado emblem on the sleeve. That is unless it's hot and then I will wear something sleeveless.

Or look for the pink and slate Serotta.

Also, I will be with 2 bald guys :D and a tall woman, I'm short.

We'll see you in Garrison.

r900
08-01-2006, 06:52 PM
Just a quick comment. Almost everyone has black nylon luggage, myself included. When the luggage trucks are unloaded, I'd bet 75% will be soft black bags. do yourselves a big favor by personalizing your bag by tying a bandana or a flag or anything that will stand out. I painted stripes on my bag so I can spot that thing right away. It saves a little time hunting and picking.

Kathi
08-01-2006, 07:56 PM
We have "Bike Virginia" tags on our bags.:D

r900
08-20-2006, 07:27 PM
Hi all, is it too soon to ask everyone that did candisc if they survived the wind and heat?Sorry i didn't get a chance to meet everyone but I was pretty rushed.I did the last two days on Friday and headed for home early.The century day was great.very fast (for me).Comments?

kjay
08-23-2006, 10:19 AM
Wish I had a T-shirt that reads "I survived part of Candisc!" :) Those two days of ~30-mph headwinds were too much for me, so I didn't ride the entire day. All in all, it was a great time, and I really built up my riding strength. Although the max trip was 410 miles, I did about 250, which is more than I've ever done in my riding life. My photo of you, Kathi, and me is a real keepsake, and I'm glad we met. Next year should be a real challenge with all those hills in the north. The entire Candisc tour was so well organized and supported. No wonder I read somewhere along the line that Candisc is the best supported ride in the US. I was surprised to find that I had lost a couple of pounds in spite of eating my way through the German-Russian countryside. The sauerkraut, sausage, and knephla (sp?) were awesome! And, oh, the kuchen that I ate . . . prune custard . . . yummy yummy! It's a trip I'll never forget!

luv'nAustin
08-23-2006, 05:27 PM
Hi everyone! I've been waiting for some ride reports, glad to see that a few came through. I was unable to make the trip this year as my DH turned 50 during the ride and I thought it was important to stay in Texas and help him celebrate.

My brother, Kelly and his daughter, Kristin did the ride and they had a blast. They called me a couple of times during the ride and talked about the wind...it was a'blowing, wasn't it? Sounded like the century day was pretty nice.

Congratulations to all went this year and rode. I hope to meet some of you next year.

Karri

kjay
08-29-2006, 08:09 AM
Hoping to read more comments from the Candisc riders. I am still so very energized and am enjoy reliving my memories of the ride. The North Dakota roads were perfect . . . no debris, no potholes, wide shoulers, hardly any traffic. What could be better? I just may become an annual Candisc rider.

eclectic
08-29-2006, 08:37 AM
I posted a report under "my first long tour" or some such thing and another under "my first century"

They are forecasting 30 mph south winds for tomorrow when we usually have the club ride. I think I will pass, I vowed after Candisc that I was going to be a fair weather rider.

This past Saturday we did "tour de turtle" a ride from Metigoshe to the Peace Gardens and back for a picnic. The hills are very mild, there might be a few steeper climbs but my guess is they will be better than what we did through the Missouri breaks on the way to Bismarck

If I can figure out how to post the pic I will attach one of the Peace gardens

Note (if the pic goes through) we are on the Candadian side (red flower flag in the background and the 2 towers) one is on Candadian side and one on the American side

kjay
08-29-2006, 09:10 AM
Eclectic, what a terrific photo of the scenery and you. This clinches it for me, ie, I will definitely plan to ride Candisc next year. You are so fortunate to be able to ride great distances on such good roads with little traffic.

I hope the pic taken of you, Kathi, and me comes through here. We haven't heard from Kathi as yet, but I'm sure we will at some point.

luv'nAustin
08-29-2006, 01:46 PM
Great Pics...thanks for sharing. wish I had my own to post! :(