PDA

View Full Version : knee sprain pain....seriously

gapgoil
06-09-2003, 03:41 PM
Hi girls, I have a question that needs the expertise of those who may have taken a silly (or serious) spill and are suffering the consequences.
So I crashed lastweek, down hillin' and sprained my MCL, and perenael and quad muscles...
the problem!!!
it hurts like hell!!! my chiro (who I trust with this sort of injury) asked that I not ride for 7-10 days.... she did acupuncture and active release.... and 3 days later I am in pain...still. It's a dull ache, not the severe stabs that I initially felt, but enough that I want to sit down and cry after a 8 hour day (retail slave :( )
My question....with a sprain... how long do you girls think that I should sit out....wait til approval from my chiro and trust that she knows best?????
I feel my ride time slipping away, and I don't feel so bad when I peddle (slowly...)

Any advice...I'm going stir crazy...not to mention the pain is annoying!!!!!
thanks.

Irulan
06-09-2003, 03:53 PM
I don't know that a chiro is the be all and end all for *all* injuries, having said that I always consult with mine, but I"ll go see my doc who has a sports background too. Are you sure you haven't seriously damaged (torn) anything?

For muscles, I am a big fan of ice. Not just ice in baggies, but an ice bath. I'm trying to think of how you would do a knee... I always go to see my friend who is a collegiate trainer, and she fills up a big tank with ice cubes, then cold water and then I get to immerse whatever body part I hurt in it for 20 minutes. It's brutally painful, much colder than ice packs, but it does wonders for swelling and inflammation; speeds the healing. Maybe use a cooler or a tub? I'm totally serious here.

At least ice several times a day, 20 minutes on, 20 off.

Irulan

gapgoil
06-09-2003, 03:56 PM
I will try that for sure.
My chiro has a sports med. background, and is a Tri-athelete as well. She made sure that she checked for tears and what not as well when diagnosing me. I am very happy to say that I trust her word over any md that I have visited....
The ice bath sounds like it may be painful, but I certainly trust your judgement and will give 'er a try. thanks for looking out for me!!!

Irulan
06-09-2003, 04:52 PM
you'll hate me.

but your knee might feel better. ;-)

irulan

waterlilli
06-09-2003, 05:44 PM
Sorry to hear your in pain, hopfully not for too long. Another great way to ice is to put water in a bag with some antifreeze. It becomes a slushy and very cold, but easy to keep in place. best of luck to you. What is the saying RICE rest, ice, ?, and elevation?

waterlilli
06-11-2003, 04:50 PM
Gapgoil-Feeling any better?

gapgoil
06-12-2003, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by waterlilli
Gapgoil-Feeling any better?

A bit better, I work retail so I am on my feet 8 hours a day.... so the rest that I am to be getting is not happening. I saw my chiro again yesterday and she figures I'll be back in the saddle by Friday!!!!

thanks for askin!!:)

Trek420
06-12-2003, 05:44 PM
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by waterlilli "What is the saying RICE rest, ice, ?, and elevation? "

I thought that was Rest Ibuprofin Compression Elevation ;-)

DR