PDA

View Full Version : Cat in a Pine Tree!

spokewench
04-01-2013, 05:40 AM
Ok, well some of you know the story of Gustav. I found him last Fall in a drainage ditch on a bike ride and brought him home to be part of the family.

Well, here is the second part of that saga. Gustav went missing around 8:30 on Saturday morning and I was out searching in the neighborhood and putting up signs on Sunday morning. Well, it turns out he is stuck way high up in a very tall pine tree in a neighbor's yard. The neighbor called the fire dept and they could not get him out cause he kept going up instead of down cause he was scared of them.

I tried all day yesterday to lure him down with his favorite food bag, etc., but to no avail. He will not come down. So, now he has been in that tree for two nights.

Ordinarily, I would get my husband on the ladder and try to lure him down that way, but Mark is out of town. I called an arborist (Forestry guy who cuts big pines down yesterday) to try to see if he would help. Haven't heard yet from him but yesterday was Easter so I really did not expect to hear back. Mark is not back till Tuesday so I am hoping that the forestry guy will get back to me today and he can help me try to get the cat out of the tree.

I'm a bit afraid of heights, but I am willing to climb a ladder once I can get the tall ladder over there. Any ideas of how to get a cat out of a tree?

Biciclista
04-01-2013, 05:56 AM
usually when you can get close to the cat, if he knows you or your food smells good, he will come to where you are. I think that hiring an arborist is the best thing you can do, they can climb the tree!!!

Funny TWO of my cats got treed by a dog about a month ago and one was so high in the tree that i don't know how she could even stay up there, the branches were so tiny.

They both came down on their own volition. The difference being that from the time i got them i have given them climbing opportunities (seriously) because i don't want them to get treed and not be able to get down. (can you find my two cats?)

good luck with your kitty, let us know how it goes

IBrakeforPastry
04-05-2013, 06:03 AM
Has Gustav come down yet?

redrhodie
04-05-2013, 07:25 AM
I've been wondering that, too. Hope he's safe!

PamNY
04-05-2013, 07:45 AM
No advice, but good wishes. Hope the cat is safely home and okay by now.

spokewench
04-05-2013, 02:35 PM
Well, he had been up in the tree two nights (one when I did not know where he was and one when I did hoping he would come down. I tried to get him to come down with food, etc. on Monday morning to no avail. Then my good friends came over to help me with a ladder to see if we went part way up would he come. No such luck. Finally found the greatest tree cutter from Agassiz Tree Cutting who immediately said he would come over with his truck and crew (they were at lunch) and that he gets cats out of trees for a donation only!

He was wonderful and short time later, he went to the very top of the 50 foot pine tree, grabbed Gustav put him in a bag and rapelled down! I just could not stand having that poor little one year old up in that tree for another night. I really don't think he was going to come down. He was just too scared and eventually I think he would have gotten too tired to come down!

He was very happy to be home, but very, very tired. He seems to be scared of dogs now so I think it was a dog that chased him and he is also very lovey and staying close to his Mom more than usual. He is well and other than being tired does not seem to be any worse for wear! Cats are pretty durable.

I'm just glad to know he is safe and home

indysteel
04-05-2013, 03:21 PM
Spoke, I'm so glad this had a happy ending. Poor little guy (and poor you). I hope he stays put from now on.

IBrakeforPastry
04-06-2013, 04:21 AM
Great news! It's so heart warming to hear about guys and their heavy machinery helping out the little critters. I'm glad Gustav is okay, although I think you might have a little Velcro-kitty for a while.

Catrin
04-06-2013, 05:26 AM
awwwww, that was so nice of him to be willing to help out our small furry friends. So glad that Gustav got through it and nothing working with having a little Velcro-kitty ;)

spokewench
04-07-2013, 06:52 AM
Yeah - Velcro Kitties are good! Kitties in pine trees are bad!