PDA

View Full Version : Tube Recommendations?

Penny4
03-08-2013, 08:05 PM
I changed my first flat the other day, yeah for me! Had to pull up some youtube vids as a refresher and mentally psych myself up, but I did it. :)
Fingers crossed i did it correctly, and it doesn't flat the second I get it out on the road.

I want to stock up on some extra tubes and wondered what everyone is using. I have 700x23's, and am a very recreational rider. The spare I used was a Bontrager. I was hoping to swing by Performance this weekend, so need recs on other brands that they might carry.

Thanks!

Blueberry
03-08-2013, 08:10 PM
Honestly, I just use the tubes that my mechanic stocks for his flat repairs. They're off brand, not in a box, and less expensive. No issues with them. They are what he would install if he installed a tire, so I don't worry.

I don't buy into the ultra-lite tube thing. My tubes weigh less than the extra weight I carry:(

Owlie
03-08-2013, 08:11 PM
What kind of rims are you using? That'll dictate what length valve stem you need, and therefore which tubes are available for you. The Performance near me carries Michelin (I think) on-and-off, Continental, and Forte (house brand). I've always used Continental's tubes. Habit, I think, as that's pretty much the only brand that my old LBS carries. I like the fact that the valve cap is bright yellow. I've never heard bad things about the Forte tubes, and they're packed smaller and they're cheaper too. I bought the Forte tubes for my cross bike.

Penny4
03-08-2013, 08:17 PM
Just regular rims, so I don't need anything extra long. My LBS is out of the way, otherwise I would just pick up some more of the Bontrager's they sold me when i bought the bike. I was going to swing by Performance to check out their sale this weekend (reminder to self: do not try on any of the Performance shorts, they NEVER fit), so I guess I'll just see what they have.
What length valve is standard?

Owlie
03-08-2013, 09:18 PM
Just regular rims, so I don't need anything extra long. My LBS is out of the way, otherwise I would just pick up some more of the Bontrager's they sold me when i bought the bike. I was going to swing by Performance to check out their sale this weekend (reminder to self: do not try on any of the Performance shorts, they NEVER fit), so I guess I'll just see what they have.
What length valve is standard?

I think it's 48mm.
FYI: they changed the higher-end Performance shorts this year. Some of them actually look pretty good (and with a nicer chamois)! I've been contemplating picking up a pair. but I'm also debating Sugoi, more Pearl Izumi and Louis Garneau shorts, so...(Yes, 3 of my 6 pairs of shorts have bitten the dust this year.)

Grits
03-09-2013, 06:55 AM
I always get my tubes at Performance. They are at least a third the price of what my LBS charges for the Bontrager ones, and they have been just as durable. I get whatever fits my rims and is on sale.

Crankin
03-09-2013, 02:35 PM
We always buy tubes with the the long, unthreaded valves. So much easier to deal with. Mostly Continental.

malkin
03-09-2013, 03:21 PM
I had a bad run of 1 ride and then a flat when I had cheepie tubes from Nashbar, so I don't use those anymore.