PDA

View Full Version : March/April Weight Management Challenge

Possegal
03-03-2013, 04:53 PM
Next two months of our weight management challenge!

Let me know
(1) if you want to join in
(2) what your weight is on Friday the 8th of March (or whatever day works best for you)
(3) what your goal weight is for the 5th of May - if you want to, if you don't want to set a goal like that, then no worries.

I'll post the link to the chart before the end of next week.

Anelia
03-06-2013, 10:32 AM
I just came to post a motivational video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DIUBnvHwxA&feature=player_embedded

Catrin
03-07-2013, 08:57 AM
I am in again, I find this thread so helpful in keeping me aware of trends in my weight. It is so easy to be so busy and lose sight of that - and thank you for all of your work in keeping this going over the years! I will "weigh in" Saturday morning, but my goal will probably be 123 pounds.

Crankin
03-08-2013, 02:50 AM
106.4 this morning.
I am in, for a goal weight (again) of 104.
Since I've gone back to my more Mediterranean style of eating this week, I've lost 2.5 pounds.
I know my weight loss goal is minuscule, but reporting here keeps me accountable and aware.

Chile Pepper
03-08-2013, 05:57 AM
Definitely in for another round. I weighed 122 this morning, which is up not quite two from the end of the last challenge. It's been a difficult week with very little exercise and a fair amount of stress eating, so I'm hoping for a fresh start on Monday. I'm thinking that if my weight is always going to fluctuate within a two or three pound range, I would like 120 to be the upper end of the range. I am therefore aiming for 117. That's a nice round goal of five pounds for this challenge.

Catrin
03-08-2013, 06:19 AM
My official weigh in is 126.4 and I would like to be 123 by the end of May. That is a very small change but this really helos me with accountability.

goldfinch
03-08-2013, 01:43 PM
I was surprisingly down today, at 107. I would be thrilled with 105 at the end of the challenge, which is back to my maintenance weight. Heck, I am not that unhappy at 107.

murielalex
03-08-2013, 06:21 PM
Love the video!

I'm in for the next two months, and officially restarted a diet after two months of maintaining a 26-pound loss after my last round of restricting calories. I need to lose 20-25 more pounds asap to get the weight off my damaged ankle.

This morning I was 152.2! Finally, some movement. Goal for the end of this period: 138.0. Yes, I know that's extreme, but I'm dong "emergency surgery" here, and am working with a naturopathic doctor that got me to my goal last time feeling good, and staying healthy.

emily_in_nc
03-08-2013, 06:36 PM
Congrats, goldfinch -- that's great!

I am not doing the challenge this time since I'll be traveling for the next two months and away from a scale for much of that time but did want to report that this morning, not on purpose at all, I was at my lowest weight in 1.5 years -- back to my "arriving in Belize weight" of 103.5. We've had a ton of stress in this past week dealing with packing, moving, paperwork for closing, and travel plans, and despite sticking with my normal eating and exercise schedule, the weight has fallen off -- all due to stress!

Interestingly, my body is very different since the last time I was at this weight. Although my arms/shoulders/legs are quite strong from yoga and cycling, my abs and waist are flabby. I attribute this mostly to hormonal changes. When we moved down here a little over 18 months ago, I was still having fairly regular periods though was certainly going through peri-menopausal changes. Now I have not had a period since early December, so am definitely getting close to true menopause.

Good luck with the challenge, everyone! I will probably sign up for the next one as we should be in Kansas City in mid-May and into a more stable pattern.

KerryCrow
03-09-2013, 03:46 AM
I would like to try joining this challenge again. I posted on here YEARS ago, and in the middle of that challenge I broke my collar bone trying to dodge a kitten. That kind of took the wind out of my sails... I have lurked on this site and enjoy reading your posts so I am going to try to be more active.

It is crazy to think I am still trying to lose the same 5 pounds I was back then. Except I'm older (53) and perimenopausal now...

My starting weight is 143.5. I would like to get to 135-38. Half a pound a week is pretty good for me, so my goal would be to see ANY number that starts with 13X.X on my scale! So for this 2 month challenge I'll state my goal at 139.

Thanks from the "new kid".

ny biker
03-09-2013, 11:51 AM
I'm going to join back in for this challenge. I have not been getting enough exercise this winter and have lost muscle, especially in my legs, plus I've gained a several pounds of fat. I've been really busy at work, so for several months have either been working overtime or too tired/cranky to get off the couch and face the cold weather. I've managed to get to the gym twice a week for weight training but have not gotten nearly enough cardio.

But it all ends now. We finally have some warmer weather this weekend. I'm on my way out to run errands and this evening I'm going to go for a walk around the neighborhood. Then tomorrow I will go for a bike ride to start to build the leg muscles back up.

I'm doing a 48-mile charity ride on April 27 so that is my current training target. I weighed 144 this morning and my goal weight is 141. Basically I'm looking to lose more than 3 pounds of fat while gaining muscle along the way.

Thanks again to Possegal for all your help with this!!

ny biker
03-13-2013, 04:48 PM
Okay, I went for a walk on Saturday night after running errands. And while running errands I was really hungry but I walked right past the really good pizza place and went for low-fat frozen yogurt blended with real fruit instead. On Sunday I did my 2-hour bike ride. By Monday I had gained 2 lbs over Friday's weight and I'm only down .5 lbs since then. Monday I did weight training with a bit of walking (15 minutes treadmill plus 20 minutes to/from the gym). Last night I went shopping for bike shoes.

I am so tired right now after yet another long day at work and I just want to curl up in my snuggy but instead I will put the bike on the trainer and ride it. I need to test out my new shoes and cleats anyway.

Catrin
03-15-2013, 01:37 AM
125.2 - back in the right direction :)

murielalex
03-15-2013, 03:08 AM
^ nice, Catrin!

I, too, am moving in the right direction, though I'm up .8 from yesterday. 148.8. Yay!

Catrin
03-15-2013, 03:49 AM
For the longest time I couldnt seem to stay below 130, now 125 is the barrier. I will take it :)

Crankin
03-15-2013, 03:52 AM
And this is my lowest weight of the week.
I can't figure out what's going on, but I think it's more related to exercise than food. I've backed off the total Paleo, and am back to eating mostly Mediterranean, but really not much different from what I've always done. When I analyze it, last year at this time, I was running, riding, and going to boot camp. Right now, I'm going to boot camp, still riding indoors a bit, walking, and just finished the nordic ski season. I am hoping to get out on my bike in the next week. My body is also going through some kind of rebellion since recovering from bronchitis, I am just not 100% right, and I'm having some of the weird, annoying fibro symptoms. I ignore that, but it started after a 5 day period of really strenuous workouts in a row. It's not each specific thing, it's more the combination of stuff and intensity. This always happens after I've been sick. So, I've backed off a little.
Onward, though. Going to stay overnight in Boston tonight, for our theatre evening. This includes Italian food at a very nice place and going to the MFA tomorrow. I am bringing my gym clothes for the hotel gym and plan to do lots of walking this afternoon, when we get there.

Chile Pepper
03-15-2013, 04:48 AM
123, so up a pound. This has been another lost week of running around doing everything for everyone and very little that is on my own agenda. For instance, I am precisely one week further behind in my work than I was last Friday. The only exercise I have managed is a short bike ride yesterday. Maybe next week...

ny biker
03-15-2013, 07:14 AM
146.2. Up 2, with more exercise and less food than last week. And I've been really hungry all week long.

I've also been really tired for most of the week and still in a general state of anger and frustration at work. I'm sure that it not helping anything. Yesterday I snapped after getting yet another email from the new manager asking when I would finish the latest pile of work that is burying me, and I told him I was well past the point of being overwhelmed, was finding stupid mistakes that I needed to work on fixing, and had no idea when anything would be finished.

This weekend my parents are visiting which means restaurant food, no exercise and sleeping on an air mattress on the cold floor. Luckily they really like the Silver Diner which has a decent selection of healthy meals.

goldfinch
03-15-2013, 03:08 PM
I am on a birding trip with my sister and eating too much. Last week I was 107. Today 111. Not good.

Catrin
03-16-2013, 04:43 PM
I was 124 this morning! Yippeee! That probably won't last but I just had to report it :)

KerryCrow
03-17-2013, 03:30 AM
143 was my weigh in this week...

Miranda
03-17-2013, 07:36 AM
Well I'm finding this thread late, but I"m gonna join you gals anyway, the motivation and support would be a good thing:)...

Today I'm 142/143... my best ever training weight was 120... so I hope to break 140 by the end of March... and 130 by the start of May.

I swear each major injury I get it's 10lbs up:(. So here's to staying healthy!:cool:

EDIT/ADD: p.s lost 5lbs already since end of February

Chile Pepper
03-22-2013, 10:46 AM
123 this morning. The last two weeks have been dreadful. I'm hoping things will return to normal soon so that I can get back into a rhythm. Yesterday and today were better, so I think there's hope.

Crankin
03-22-2013, 01:41 PM
I will weigh in tomorrow. I forgot this morning and then weighed myself at a much later time, after eating breakfast. Should not have done that. Number was scarily high for me.
Good thing is, I lost my appetite after that.

Catrin
03-22-2013, 03:13 PM
Between a heavier workout week than normal AND my batteries are low in my scales (can't seem to get the silly battery out), I am skipping my weigh-in this week. I won't be happy if I have to replace the entire scale because I can't get the battery out... The battery is completely surrounded and nothing appears to move to enable it to be switched :mad:

emily_in_nc
03-22-2013, 04:06 PM
All I have to say is after almost two weeks on US soil, I am very glad I'm not doing the challenge this time! We've been walking and hiking a LOT, but eating more than enough to maintain, and without bikes, yoga, weights, etc., I am quite sure I have put on a few lbs. Our scale is still safely packed away, which is probably for the best!

murielalex
03-22-2013, 04:25 PM
145.2 Yay!!!!!!!!! I haven't seen 145 in years. Now, gotta get to the 130s......

Crankin
03-23-2013, 03:01 AM
I weighed 108.2 this morning. So, I gained 2 pounds from last week.
Now my weekend weight is my regular weight. I seriously am not sure what is going on. I can't eat much less, but I can exercise harder, though not necessarily more. I do seem to go through this every winter. I feel like my body is going through something. Eventually, it will work itself out. I want to keep on with the challenge, just because weighing in every week keeps me accountable.
I think I need to ride my bike!

shootingstar
03-23-2013, 07:04 AM
I weigh myself every 1-2 wks. or less often.

And sometimes I don't fully trust the scale. I'm sure it's off....I haven't gained hardly any weight this winter. Hard to believe when I haven't been cycling tons this winter. Just little short trips to do stuff or get around to a destination. Maybe one loses a few extra calories when it gets very cold... :confused:

emily_in_nc
03-23-2013, 03:42 PM
I weighed 108.2 this morning. So, I gained 2 pounds from last week.
Now my weekend weight is my regular weight. I seriously am not sure what is going on. I can't eat much less, but I can exercise harder, though not necessarily more. I do seem to go through this every winter. I feel like my body is going through something. Eventually, it will work itself out. I want to keep on with the challenge, just because weighing in every week keeps me accountable.
I think I need to ride my bike!

I am with you on that last thought, Crankin! Barry dug out our scale out from deep in one of our suitcases today. I held my nose and weighed in before breakfast -- 106.5. Considering I was 103.5 just a couple of weeks ago, I'm not thrilled. We've been taking long, long walks and hikes, but our bikes are in NC, where we won't be until next month. And of course we've been enjoying all the delicious foods and beverages we couldn't get in Belize.

In my case, I think I am just going to have to be very diligent now that I am going through menopause. My mom gained a LOT of weight around this time of life, going from thin to fat in just a few short years, and I am determined NOT to follow in her footsteps. She was never an exerciser and quit smoking around the same time too, so I know that her fate is not necessarily mine, but I still have to be careful. It's certainly genetically predisposed in my family to gain weight in mid-life.

ny biker
03-23-2013, 04:07 PM
144.4. Which is progress, though I'm still not real happy about it.

This prolonged cold weather combined with continued craziness at work is keeping me from getting outside for exercise. Though I have managed to get into a routine of riding the bike indoors twice a week, so that's something.

I just bought booties for cold weather riding (thank you, REI coupon + dividend). If the sun comes out at all tomorrow afternoon I might go for a ride around my neighborhood instead of riding on the trainer.

I really want to ride my bike on a warm sunny day. In late March in DC, that should not be too much to ask!!!

Possegal
03-26-2013, 06:14 PM
Sorry so late with the link. Stupid work. And that fall-back plan of winning the lottery isn't panning out so well. :)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkxMKcttLKvTdC15YXVYWThxM0ZuRjJxNmVFN0czOHc&usp=sharing

murielalex
03-27-2013, 09:10 AM
Thank you!

Miranda
03-27-2013, 09:16 AM
Sorry so late with the link. Stupid work. And that fall-back plan of winning the lottery isn't panning out so well. :)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkxMKcttLKvTdC15YXVYWThxM0ZuRjJxNmVFN0czOHc&usp=sharing

Thanks:) but ok babes so how do we get logged in to enter our stuff? Or do we just keep posting here also? I was about 141 on 3/22.

Gawd having some hormonal issues and just ate a lunch that will burn me in vegan hell:o... and def not healthy overall!

Appreciate this thread, I was just getting grumpy to trash in my food log and give up for a while. No can do now.;)

Possegal
03-27-2013, 03:21 PM
you keep posting here and I edit the document.

Miranda
03-28-2013, 05:28 AM
you keep posting here and I edit the document.

OK, great, thanks!

:)

Crankin
03-29-2013, 04:59 AM
Slight downward trend. I'll take it.

Miranda
03-29-2013, 07:58 AM
Ya my scale is suckin':mad: here lately lol:o...this morning I was 143...some of it's hormonal water weight...and the rest just too many bdays w/desserts to celebrate, and Easter is this week-end...so then thank gawd it will be a steady stretch off the party eatin' train until Mother's Day:rolleyes:...so that's my log-in for this week.

ny biker
03-29-2013, 08:37 AM

Still cold outside and busy at work => not enough exercise. I am getting back some of the strength in my legs from indoor trainer rides, so that's something.

Tomorrow I leave for vacation for a week. There will be homemade cookies...

Catrin
03-29-2013, 12:04 PM
125.6 this morning - I will take it!

My trainer has convinced me that I need to add a few more carbs back into my diet, especially during a post-workout meal. My total carb intake still won't go over 100, but right now it barely goes over 60...that is too low for my activity level :rolleyes: There are a broad range of non-grain or processed carb sources for me to choose from but since reversing the diabetes last year I've been restricting a bit too much. I will try it...

murielalex
03-29-2013, 03:43 PM
143.8. Not as much as I hoped, but in the right direction. I'll take it.

KerryCrow
03-29-2013, 07:05 PM
I have been 143.5 for each of the last two periods. No progress...but happy not to be up. On the road so no gain is good.

Crankin
04-05-2013, 05:14 AM
I am starting to hate this thread.
I am at 107.4. I stopped weighing myself everyday. I did weigh myself on Wednesday, and I was 106.2, so I thought I had reversed the trend. 107.4 was pretty much my normal weight before I gained a couple and lost a few last winter/spring. So, it's probably my set point. Pants are a little less tight, so we'll see what next week brings. Overall, a stagnant or downward trend.

goldfinch
04-05-2013, 07:02 AM
Back from a long trip and gained a bunch of weight. I haven't biked in four weeks. I still am at 111 pounds. Today I am going for a ride. Hope I can pedal 30 miles into the wind after being off the bike so long.

murielalex
04-05-2013, 07:59 AM
142.2. Slow going, but going down.

Catrin
04-05-2013, 11:40 AM
126.8 this morning....sigh... However I DID work out, hard, for the last 5 days in a row that included heavy lifting (trapbar squats) so am likely retaining water. Today is a rest day and tomorrow I am just planning an easy 60-90 minute spin outside to break the legs and bike in. It promises to be windy. It will be interesting to see what my weight looks like by Sunday morning. I want to ride this afternoon but am down-right fatigued, I KNOW better than hit the gym 5 days in a row!

Crankin
04-05-2013, 11:45 AM
I also am resting today; my low weight was after a rest day, but then I went to a spin class, when I should have done yoga or hiked. I expect to be riding a lot this weekend, so right now I am getting ready to go out for a leisurely walk.
I was pretty tired, too, after riding 3 days in a row, two hard boot camp classes, and a spin class with only one rest day.

Catrin
04-06-2013, 05:22 AM
125.0 this morning :) This will be my official weight for the week - I was correct about yesterday's weight being a result of fluid retention from working out/lifting so many days in a row. As soon as my body got a little break it gave up that extra fluid. I just need to start weighing in on Saturday mornings rather than Friday, at least until May when my gym schedule will be cut down to only 2 group training sessions a week.

Miranda
04-06-2013, 08:11 AM
On Friday 4/5...142#...M:).

Crankin
04-12-2013, 02:23 AM
Finally, a successful week.
I have come to the conclusion that for me, it's more the total number of calories I eat, and not so much what I eat. And, I need to rest more. I had 1 full rest day this week and one day where I did nothing more than walk 2 miles with a client. Also, I haven't had my almost daily glass of red wine this week, since Saturday and I did a really hard ride on Wednesday. I really don't know if any of this is all magically thinking on my part, but with 2 weeks to go on this challenge, I'd be happy to get to 105, let alone my goal of 104.

Miranda
04-12-2013, 03:28 AM
Fri 4/12 #142...idk, my body just seems to want to hold onto this plateau.

ny biker
04-12-2013, 08:37 AM
This week I am down to 146.6. What's that you say? How can I be "down to 146.6" when I was at 144.4 at my last weigh-in? Because I was UP to 147.8 this past Monday after my vacation. At this rate I will be lucky to end the challenge at the same weight I started.

At least we're finally getting some warm weather for outdoor exercise. I got in a good hill ride after work on Wednesday and I'm planning to do 35 miles this weekend.

ny biker
04-12-2013, 08:53 AM
Finally, a successful week.
I have come to the conclusion that for me, it's more the total number of calories I eat, and not so much what I eat. And, I need to rest more. I had 1 full rest day this week and one day where I did nothing more than walk 2 miles with a client. Also, I haven't had my almost daily glass of red wine this week, since Saturday and I did a really hard ride on Wednesday. I really don't know if any of this is all magically thinking on my part, but with 2 weeks to go on this challenge, I'd be happy to get to 105, let alone my goal of 104.

re: rest days -- I've read some interesting things from Nancy Clark recently about exercise and total daily calorie expenditure. There was a study involving older women who I think were sedentary before the study -- they were split into three groups: one exercised two days per week, the second group exercised four days per week and the third group exercised six days per week. They found that the third group burned fewer total calories per day than the second group because the second group were more active in their everyday activities (like taking stairs instead of an elevator). The reason seemed to be more related to the third group feeling busier than the second group rather than being more tired.

She also recently referenced an older study involving marathon runners in her blog. It had similar findings -- less overal physical activity during non-exercise periods:

http://community.active.com/blogs/NancyClarkRD/2013/03/12/not-losing-weight-while-marathon-training

In my case, I did find that I was very inactive much of the time when I was training for full centuries, though for me the reason definitely was that I felt too tired to work out after long training rides. Unfortunately I was also very hungry after the long training rides, and I wound up gaining weight. It's one of the reasons I stopped doing full centuries.

Anyway I thought these studies were a useful reminder of the different ways to be "active." I also think I generally feel better if I take at least two rest days (with little or no exercise) per week, and I'm making an effort to use the staircase at my office to get in some extra steps over the course of each day.

goldfinch
04-12-2013, 09:01 AM
I am so far out there I am not even going to report.

I went from one scale to another and found that the new scale is more accurate.

Possegal
04-13-2013, 10:43 AM
Updating. Sorry for the delay. My job's been crazy of late.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkxMKcttLKvTdC15YXVYWThxM0ZuRjJxNmVFN0czOHc#gid=0

Catrin
04-13-2013, 11:33 AM
125.2 this weekend

Chile Pepper
04-15-2013, 01:05 AM
124. This has been an awful challenge for me. March was horrendous--too much work, no exercise. Now harvest has started, so April is turning into more of the same. I did get some workouts in last week, and I'm hoping I can get back on my diet today.

Crankin
04-19-2013, 03:19 AM
106.2, exactly the same as last week. Actually, I am quite happy with this, after helping Oakleaf carb up for the marathon :).
In fact, I only want to get to my goal of 104, to give me some wiggle room for gaining. This is a good weight for me, but I am still trying to get to my goal. Obviously, cycling is helping.

Catrin
04-19-2013, 05:13 AM
Still the same 125.3....but April has/is a special month of 5 day workouts on top of whatever riding/walking/geocaching I can get in. In May that drops back to 2 days a week to allow more riding. My current elusive goal of 123 is basically there to encourage me to keep things on track. I am more concerned about body composition at this point than the number on the scale.

ny biker
04-19-2013, 08:39 AM
I will post a weight tomorrow. I had to get up early this morning for a meeting (which was scheduled by someone who is stunningly bad at managing meetings, sorry but I just had to get that off my chest, thanks for letting me rant).

This week has shown a good downward trend, though things have fluctuated up and down by .5-1.5 lbs per day.

ny biker
04-20-2013, 07:54 AM
Okie dokey, 144.8 for this week. Not what I would prefer, but it is in the right direction.

Catrin
04-21-2013, 10:06 AM
hmmmm, apparently my scales have been lying to me, lying I say! :) I had a Bod Pod this morning just before my Sunday Funday workout, which means that I was up for a couple of hours. Normally I weigh as soon as I rise - and I did this morning. Typically my weight starts changing pretty quickly after rising which is why I weigh before then when my weight was at the lowest.

Not only was my weight less than .5 pound heavier than my lying scales told me, but I've lost 2% body fat in the last 10 weeks, which makes me happy! I try to schedule my Bod Pods at the same time of day and day of the week since all of that really does matter. Granted, I don't eat before that test but still, there should have been more than a .5 pound difference after being up a couple of hours.

STILL can't figure out how to get the battery out of my scales - there appears to be no good way to release it. If I have to replace the entire scale because I can't change the battery I won't be a happy woman.

Here is a picture of the battery compartment. My problem is there seems to be no way to "release" the battery. I am probably missing the obvious but this isn't my first attempt and I am rather frustrated with it. Surely I don't need to buy a new scale because my battery is low?!?! What am I missing? Thanks! That clamp at the in the bottom left corner apparently wasn't meant to be loosened/removed - or at least I can't make it do so...

indysteel
04-21-2013, 12:15 PM
Great job on the fat loss, Catrin! Out of curiosity--and if you don't mind sharing, how many pounds have you lost since changing to a Paleo diet and what percentage of fat loss during that same period?

Catrin
04-21-2013, 02:52 PM
Great job on the fat loss, Catrin! Out of curiosity--and if you don't mind sharing, how many pounds have you lost since changing to a Paleo diet and what percentage of fat loss during that same period?

If my memory serves correctly, I was pretty much on pretty stubborn weight/BF plateau for close to two years before changing to a Paleo diet (after losing 80 pounds before that). I made the switch in August and in the 8 months since then I've lost 10-12 pounds, and 5% body fat. FINALLY I am in the "moderately lean" category (barely) and no longer in the "excess fat" category. I've barely crossed that line but I DID cross it :D

I lost most of my weight under a very different diet, but I feel so much better eating this way! I am still tweaking things a bit as I continue to learn more about what my body likes, but it has been a good journey. I WOULD like to see my BF% drop down into the next category eventually (Lean), but that would mean losing another 8% BF and I don't know how realistic that is - not having a thryoid OR reproductive system (including no ovaries and I don't take hormones) doesn't help. Right now I want to get it more firmly into my current category and then we shall see. It is harder to do this at 53 than at 35...

KerryCrow
04-21-2013, 06:40 PM
I was on a 2 week trip...1 week of it was biking in Texas. I got back and weighed 144...up a half pound. Will see what this week looks like.

Miranda
04-25-2013, 03:47 PM
OK, I don't think I posted for 4/19 #142...and I'm posting what tomorrow's weigh in will be, for the last Friday, 4/26 #142...since it will be close to what I was today anyway.

Crankin
04-26-2013, 01:53 AM
Again. It's very strange that my weight would be so stable for 3 weeks in a row. While my goal is 2 lbs. away, this is a good overall weight for me. Since this has coincided with my ramping up my cycling, I am assuming that eventually I will lose 2 more pounds.

Catrin
04-26-2013, 03:53 AM
I know how frustrating that can be Crankin! Does your weight fluctuate during the week? Do you exercise on the same days each week? For me I've noted that I need a rest day or two for my body to give up any exercise induced fluid retention.

I will weigh in tomorrow since I had such an intensive strength session yesterday.

Crankin
04-26-2013, 04:06 AM
I pretty much exercise on the same days each week, although while the boot camp days stay the same, which days I ride or hike/run vary a little. I almost always take Tuesdays off, sometimes I ride early AM that day and I take Friday off. Some weeks I take both Tuesday and Friday off, with one of those days being a walk or light yoga.
My weight fluctuates greatly throughout the week and throughout the day. After the weekend, my weight used to be up to as high as 109, lately, it's been more 107.8, which is a sign that I am losing. I rarely weigh myself on Mondays. I only notice the exercise induced fluid retention when I've done a really hard effort, like one of the rides I did last weekend, or a tour, or weekend vacation of riding. Boot camp usually stabilizes my weight or makes me lose. Last year at this time, I was running in addition to all of the other stuff and I think that's what induced my weight loss; the loss pretty much stayed through this January, even though I stopped running last June.
I am more prone to using exercise as a weight control method than really restricting my food. I have changed my eating a lot, but I go for healthy eating and I don't "diet."

Catrin
04-26-2013, 05:50 AM
... I have changed my eating a lot, but I go for healthy eating and I don't "diet."

Personally I think THIS is the key - good, healthy food and fueling our bodies properly for what we demand from them - otherwise we set ourselves up in other ways. My group training sessions are intense but are a different mix of activities from what I've seen of the boot camp classes at my gym at least. They are either centered around strength training and Olympic lifting OR around the crazy wild stuff we do - of course there is always a dynamic warmup and some level of metabolic conditioning at the end.

I try to only weigh once a week these days - basically to keep a check on myself. My current focus is to change my body composition and not to worry so much about the number on the scale (I say that like it is easy to not worry about that number) - and it is hard to lose body fat AND gain muscle at the same time. I don't think that is easy at any age, but certainly more difficult at 50+. That is ok, I am having a lot of fun working at it - and while I've not gained much lean muscle mass I AM losing body fat.

Does your boot camp feature a lot of running? The boot camp classes at my gym does - far more than what we do.

Crankin
04-26-2013, 07:11 AM
Not so much running. More like one minute intervals of running, mountain climbers, jacks, and all that other torture with weights and core in between. It's not a traditional boot camp.

Catrin
04-26-2013, 07:27 AM
Not so much running. More like one minute intervals of running, mountain climbers, jacks, and all that other torture with weights and core in between. It's not a traditional boot camp.

Sounds like my group training class when he focuses on cardio :) I wish you were closer so you could join us as my guest.

Crankin
04-26-2013, 08:28 AM
Yes, we use free weights and bands, as well as weighted bars and stability balls. No machines or heavy weights. I would say one of the classes I go to a week is probably a little more cardio oriented and the other tends to be more weights and core, with some, but less cardio.
I've done personal training twice and neither seemed to make much of a difference, except a little upper body definition. Of course, this was before a lot of the current group training stuff and I always convinced the trainer I couldn't do one more :). And my eating was still a little carb heavy then, too.

ny biker
04-26-2013, 09:31 AM
144.2 for me this week.

Chile Pepper
05-01-2013, 03:56 AM
Finishing April at 125, which is not at all what I had in mind. I'm hoping to recommit to my goals today.

Possegal
05-01-2013, 03:35 PM
One more weigh in on Friday. Then over the weekend I'll start another thread to see who all is in for 8 more weeks. :)

Crankin
05-03-2013, 02:50 AM
I don't remember my beginning weight, but I'm 2.8 pounds away from my goal. This has been my only challenge where I did not meet my goal or maintain my goal.
This weight is OK, but I need to be a little lowerr to have some wiggle room.

Catrin
05-03-2013, 03:56 AM
126....the wrong direction but my new jeans are fitting more loosely, so something is happening.

ny biker
05-03-2013, 09:25 AM
144.8. Two steps forward, six steps back, a few more steps forward, overall not good!!

murielalex
05-03-2013, 06:48 PM
^ I'm with you there. I'm at 144.6 this morning. I'd been sticking to my diet religiously, then ate three slices of pizza two weeks ago after a long ride, immediately gained three pounds, and have stayed stuck there ever since. I'm sorta giving up. I'm weight training three days a week, doing interval training on my bike two days a week, and doing longer rides (30-60) on the weekends. I'm just going to work on not gaining for awhile, though I'd love to get under 140. Bah.

ny biker
05-04-2013, 03:15 PM
I did a 61-mile bike ride today. Usually my rule is that anything longer than 60 miles earns me a cheeseburger and fries at Five Guys.

But not today!! Too many pre-season treats last month.

I'm planning two more metric centuries in late May and early June. Maybe by then I'll be able to enjoy one of those burgers.

Catrin
05-17-2013, 02:46 AM
back to 126.0 today - almost back to where I was before the conference :)

Crankin
05-17-2013, 04:03 AM
Yep, and my weight is now firmly at 106... and falling.