PDA

View Full Version : life is short enjoy the ride

Sky King
03-03-2013, 07:28 AM
Had to use that title as it is one I often say and realized yesterday we hadn't been practicing enough lately. We were diligently slaving away on Saturday while the first nice day in months was dancing outside the shop window. One of our customers rides in and basically says "what the heck are you two doing" He was totally correct. We pumped up the tires, grabbed the helmets and followed him out the door. We decided to take part of the MUP along the river that is both pave and dirt for a fun meander. After about ten miles we found ourselves at a nice tap room - hmmm imagine that. Had a couple beers and a light snack and then headed off again, as we point ourselves back in the direction of home the bike hermit points out that it is only a few miles farther to our favorite brewery. Well twist my arm, waved at our house as we rode past and enjoyed a very nice meal and another beer, of course. We both commented on two things we are thankful for - friends who refuse to let us use work as an excuse and generator lights so we never have to worry about getting caught in the dark. Woke up to rain today, making me even more grateful that we got out.

shootingstar
03-03-2013, 07:59 AM
True +++++. Yesterday, I got my arse off to the hardware store by bike, which I haven't visited in past 5 months just to get an extension cord. I was only half thrilled by the 20 km. ride because there were icy sections where I had to dismount.

But am glad I did it (and realized I'm a tad unfit cycling wise), because today it snowing steadily big fluffy snow..for the past 3 hrs. I'm going walking in winter wonderland right now.

This also speaks to a woman I read somewhere (was it in TE forums) where she said she had problems cycling with her hubby, because they were too competitive with one another. How sad and wrong to see/share cycling passion in that way. I mentioned that one day one of them will no longer be around on this Earth, that they need to completely change their attitude how they ride with one another. Cycling time together as partners who both love cycling and as love partners for life, is precious.

It really is. My partner is 16 yrs. older than I.

jobob
03-03-2013, 08:38 AM
Great story, Ms Sky!

smilingcat
03-03-2013, 09:15 AM
Than you for reminding me... And a lovely story to remind us!! :D

"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" Wasn't that the quote from Shining?

Yes I need to go out and have fun.

Catrin
03-03-2013, 09:36 AM
As do I...but the temps won't get warm enough during a time when I am actually FREE to ride :( I WANT TO RIDE MY BICYCLE

Can't resist it :) As a reminder this isn't a work-safe video, but it IS the official Queen video. I had forgotten how much nudity is in it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt0V0_1MS0Q

goldfinch
03-03-2013, 10:22 AM
Good post, Sky.

I've been riding a lot. Today in Florida it is cold and windy. A riding buddy came by and asked if I wanted to ride. I said no. It felt kind of weird to turn down a ride. :) But life is short, I am retired, and I can sit on the couch today.

tealtreak
03-03-2013, 10:32 AM
5X on the life is short- get out and ride...glad I did (: (The work was there when I got back...it doesn't run away..haha)

ny biker
03-03-2013, 10:54 AM
It's cold here today but I've signed up for a 48-mile ride on April 27 so my winter break is officially over. The bike is set up on the trainer and I'm about to ride it.

Desperately hoping for better weather next weekend (and no snow on Wednesday).

Daylight saving time in ONE WEEK!!! Sunset after 7pm again!!!!!!

We have a new manager at work and I've had to work lots of OT since he started (some due to his legitimate learning curve and some due to his forcing me to waste time on useless stuff that put me way behind in getting the actual important stuff done). I told him last week that I am not able to continue working that much overtime. I have two new pairs of bike shorts and a new short-sleeve jersey with matching arm warmers and I intend to use them. (Okay I didn't actually tell him the part about the shorts and the jersey...)

velo
03-03-2013, 05:28 PM
Great story and an inspiration. I'm starting to get sick of the trainer and I'm even one of those odd balls that enjoy the trainer a little. Ready to get outside more. Temps aren't all the issue...I'll ride when it's cold, and not windy...it's the slick and slushy roads for me. Would have been out today (above freezing and relatively clear roads), but had family here. Life truly is short, so enjoying some quality time with dear ol' Dad was worth not being out there :)

Anelia
03-03-2013, 08:19 PM
Sometimes I sing this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uMGH3kHhzM

Catrin
03-04-2013, 12:00 AM
57 degrees are forecast for Saturday!!! Yayyyyyy!!!! However, I've a little 70-floor stair climb Saturday morning for the American Lung Association but I AM going to ride that afternoon. Even if it is just a couple of blocks :)

Sky King
03-06-2013, 06:11 PM
Catrin, you are a crazy woman - I like it

Owlie
03-06-2013, 07:17 PM
57 degrees are forecast for Saturday!!! Yayyyyyy!!!! However, I've a little 70-floor stair climb Saturday morning for the American Lung Association but I AM going to ride that afternoon. Even if it is just a couple of blocks :)

You ARE nuts.

I'll definitely be riding Saturday, since it's supposed to be warm and as of Sunday had the day off. :D First ride of the year on the road bike, I think!

Catrin
03-07-2013, 02:17 AM
Wellll, whether I ride or not Saturday will depend on how my legs feel. I climbed 48 flights yesterday and my legs were fine - but Saturday I will do 22 more flights than that :) Whether I ride Saturday OR Sunday - I am riding this weekend. Period. It's been two full months :eek: I am certainly over the "riding burnout" though, and I really WANT to ride. I won't, however, go to my "Sunday Funday" workout - I am not totally nuts!

goldfinch
03-08-2013, 01:51 PM
Sometimes I sing this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uMGH3kHhzM

I like this, thanks.

Dogmama
03-08-2013, 02:55 PM
Sky - thanks for the reminder.

Catrin - you are funny! Had forgotten about that video. Look at how old the bikes are!