PDA

View Full Version : Cat allergy question

malkin
02-09-2013, 11:43 AM
If I am wearing a considerable amount of cat hair is it enough to trigger an allergic response in an allergic person in an otherwise cat free environment?

Blueberry
02-09-2013, 01:01 PM
I would think so. Most people are allergic to saliva, which is located on the hairs. So - any exposure to hair could trigger allergies. No specific experience, though.

soprano
02-09-2013, 01:36 PM
Yes.

I'm allergic to cats. One day a few years ago, a friend came over to my house to spend the afternoon. He gave his cat some medication and playtime right before he came to my house. He wasn't covered in cat hair by any means, but he did handle the cat right before coming over. While he was at my house, he sat for a while in my recliner chair. Later that evening after he was gone, I sat in my recliner to read a book, and started breaking out in hives.

Catrin
02-09-2013, 02:18 PM
Yes, it can depending on how allergic the other person is. The longer I am around cats and cat-hair the more sensitive my allergies become.

malkin
02-09-2013, 02:26 PM
Thanks, I kinda thought so.
Now I just need to stock up on those sticky rollers.
:)

Catrin
02-10-2013, 03:33 AM
Thanks, I kinda thought so.
Now I just need to stock up on those sticky rollers.
:)

Jasmine started going nuts when she saw me pull out the sticky roller - she LOVED being "rolled"! I would have thought a cat would hate that but she loved it, it must have similar to a massage. It didn't seem to decrease the amount of hair she left on me :)

OakLeaf
02-10-2013, 03:41 AM
Unfortunately I'm not sure how much a sticky roller will help. It'll take off the visible hairs pretty well of course, but not necessarily the microscopic dander and saliva flakes. But it's probably worth a try.

Is it a coworker who's allergic? :( Definitely a problem with two sides to it... if the roller doesn't help, you could try a handheld vacuum with a HEPA filter... and be aware that there's likely a fair amount of cat "stuff" already built up in your workspace if you have carpet and/or a fabric covered chair, that could be shampooed...

malkin
02-10-2013, 07:16 AM
I'm not thinking of anyone in particular, except that some of the kids I see at school are sensitive to everything. Maybe I just needed a bit of incentive to stop leaving the house in a dirty sweatshirt covered in cat hair. I think my house is pretty much a lost cause.

I was thinking of the sticky roller for my clothes; I use a Furminator on the cats.

indysteel
02-10-2013, 07:43 AM
I have long had cats and purposely get dressed for work right before I leave the house so that I'm not covered in cat hair. I change out of those clothes not long after returning home. But my work clothes (mostly sweaters and skirts) are distinct from my casual clothes.

Irulan
02-10-2013, 04:03 PM
Yes. Most of you know I repair technical clothing. Cat hair is but one of the many reasons I insist that things be laundered before I work on them. I can tell as soon as I open the box if something has cat on it.

tulip
02-11-2013, 07:06 AM
I'm very allergic to cats and find it really unfun to be around cat people, even when there are no cats around. I usually have to excuse myself after my eyes start watering and my nose starts running. I basically just cannot go to peoples' houses who have cats unless they are very conscientious about vacuuming. I can't even stay at my mother's house when I visit because she has cats; I have to stay in a hotel.

Irulan
02-12-2013, 06:21 AM
I have one friend who is a meticulous house cleaner and BATHES her cats regularly. That is one place with cats that I can visit and not feel ill.

Kernyl
02-15-2013, 04:59 AM
Yup. I am allergic to both cats and dogs, (unFUN, since I really would enjoy having one). Some bother me more than others for some reason, but if it is one I react strongly to, even the hair on clothes can cause a reaction.