PDA

View Full Version : Grippy yet stiff shoes for BMX pedals road use?

Catrin
02-06-2013, 08:13 AM
I've decided to remove the Frogs from my Gunnar for this year. I love them....but for whatever reason I am much more confident in attacking hills and urban riding when I am NOT clipped in. Clipping in makes me more cautious for some reason, and that hasn't changed after 1.5 years in riding clipless. I love my Frogs and have no desire to try other pedals as I think this is about being attached to the pedal rather than the specific clipless system. I plan on moving my beloved BMX pedals (Sunringle ZuZu) from my mountain bike to my Gunnar and am considering which shoes to use with them. I know I need stiff to help prevent hot-spots - and grippy to help those pins. I might consider another set of pedals for my Gunnar, but for now I am using what I have - I love those pedals and good ones aren't inexpensive.

I've ridden many many miles on BMX pedals, back before I went clipless, and am looking forward to the return :) Thankfully I've done so much mountain biking with them that I finally learned how to start/stop without pedal slap - though I certainly have scars from that ;)

I've read of some who like these Adidas Sambas (http://www.zappos.com/adidas-samba-millennium-black-white) for riding with toe-clips, and the reviews say they are stiff so these just might work as long as they aren't too small, and they have rubber soles. I've read multiple very positive reviews regarding using these for riding with platform pedals (AND they are affordable). Other suggestions?

Irulan
02-06-2013, 08:42 AM
What size shoe you wear is going to be the ultimate deal breaker. Look to the shoes designed for mountain biking and bmx.
Most of these kind of shoes are made in a full range of mens sizes, but very limited, if any, women's sizes.
5-10 is another brand to look at. I found their shoes extremely wide, even in the womens. They were like clown shoes.
I ended up with an Teva Links, kids size. (boys 6)

Catrin
02-06-2013, 08:55 AM
Thanks Irulan! I've wide-ish toes and a quite narrow heel...it can be challenging to find shoes that fit me. I've heard the same thing about 5-10, thanks for the comment. I think there are a couple of other women here who ride with Teva as well. I take a size 10 in athletic shoes, or a 41-42 in European sizing. Of course that all depends on how they are made.

Irulan
02-06-2013, 08:59 AM
many threads on this subject in the mtb forum,
http://forums.teamestrogen.com/search.php?searchid=105047

indysteel
02-06-2013, 09:17 AM
Here's my advice: Zappos sells some of the Five Ten line. Maybe they carry the Tevas as well. Order a handful of styles and sizes. Return what doesn't fit. Shipping is free both ways, so you don't have much to lose. I ended up with the Impacts in a size larger than what I normally wear if memory serves (I can check at home tonight), but I had to go through a few models and sizes before I settled on them. I like them for mtbing and I assume I could get used to them if I had to for road riding.

Irulan
02-06-2013, 09:32 AM
shoebuy.com does the same thing. I went through 7 (yes you read that right) pair before I found one that fit

thekarens
02-06-2013, 09:42 AM
I bought my Teva's through Amazon, they had a no hassle free return option when I bought them. Not sure if that was a special thing or a forever thing, but they might be an option for looking for your shoe too.