PDA

View Full Version : Bicycle alarm innovation

BikeWatch
02-06-2013, 07:18 AM
Me and my team of fellow cyclists are taking bicycle protection against thieves to a new level and right now we are developing a new product – bicycle alarm combined with a cable (chain) and rear lights.

We have a great team of engineers with experience in electronics, mechanics and manufacturing. Our team has some great ideas, but we believe that the best products can only be created together with other cyclists.

It would be great if you could share your experience dealing with bike thieves and thoughts or suggestions on product which we are developing.

You can answer here or check our web page – http://www.bikewatch.eu/, where you can see design sketches, blog and contact us directly.

Also follow us on twitter and facebook. We will post updates and answer questions there.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Regards,
BikeWatch team

smilingcat
02-06-2013, 11:42 AM
If I were the bad guy, I would use the heavy duty cable cutter to cut your electronics into two piece along with the Li-ion battery. Then cut the cable and be on my merry way in less than 30 seconds.

You need to think like a bad guy to understand what he is going to do.

Or they would deep freeze using a portable canister of Freon or CO2. Battery stops working if its frozen.

There was a video on youtube where the guy was "stealing" his own bike in some big city. He showed up with a portable angle grinder that spits out huge amount of spark, makes noise like you won't believe and proceeded to spend about 5 minutes cutting away the heavy chain. No one bothered to stop him. Some even offered their condolence that the bike couldn't be freed.

Alarms are useless on cars and on bikes.

Best defense is to make yours less attractive to a thief. As the old saying goes, "when backpacking, I just need to outrun my friend if we get chased by a grizzly"

Swan
02-06-2013, 02:46 PM
Maybe if you threaded the wires through the cable and placed thr battery in the locking mechanism..... and pasted a huge picture of your face on the bike :p