PDA

View Full Version : Catrike Speed

barefootdesigns
06-08-2003, 10:32 PM
They come with two different boom sizes, short and long. All else about his trikes is stock, and common to all. Of course I did upgrade some of the components through the dealer. I have a custom-made orange seat for it. He has now made seat color a standard option.

The wait is probably more like two months. I had some built-in delays which were my fault.

DoubleLori
06-11-2003, 07:06 AM
Is the seat angle adjustable on the Catrike? I'm going to have to be sitting fairly upright to avoid neck strain, and I'm beginning to suspect that the Greenspeed may be just a little bit "too recumbent" for my neck. I am 5'4" with an "x-length" of about 40". I was also never very good at climbing, though my long-standing spinal cord compression may have something to do with that. I want really low gears, with a low of 15" or even less to ensure that I will be able to ride up anything, as I know I'm only going to be able to manage a couple of miles per hour at least at first, and I would like to be able to tow a trailer to go touring.

barefootdesigns
07-02-2003, 02:25 PM
The neck angle is fixed at 38 degrees, which was higher than I thought I wanted, but works very well for me, and I now know that I wouldn't want it any lower for the road. I am also 5'4", with a slightly shorter X-seam and the trike fits my dimensions well, but I'm a bit longer in the back than you.

I haven't been on the trike long enough to tell what the long-term comfort factor is. I'm just getting over two badly fracturesd ankles and don't have any cartilage in the right one, so I can understand what it's like to have to work from a weakened state. I am having trouble getting up to speed--no pun intended. That makes me very slow, period, because I'm not even up to full walking strength. Fortunately, I have a great low gear, around 13" I believe. I'm not that competent with gearing, but I believe my dealer substituted a 54-42-24 cassette for the stock one to get this. I can crawl up a hill pretty well with my low gears, but just don't have the stamina yet to do much of that. If it were much heavier I would dispair, but the trike is light and nimble and I know it will be a gas when I get my legs back. By the way, I also have serious neck issues, which is why I have a trike in the first place. No problems yet with that and maybe never.
Hope this helps. Write me directly if you prefer.
Regards,
Carla
shamusky@earthlink.net