PDA

View Full Version : Tosrv - 2013

Catrin
01-17-2013, 03:25 AM
I am considering doing TOSRV this year, the half-version. The 52 miles a day option is from Chillicothe to Portsmouth and return to Chillicothe. Is this is a particularly hilly area of the state? I am tempted, but I want to set myself up for success - and that is pretty early in the year for a back-to-back half century in hilly terrain. Of course it will also depend on how my shoulder resolves, but right now I am just on a fact-finding mission.

OakLeaf
01-17-2013, 04:08 AM
It's pretty flat, since it follows the river the whole way. There are a few small hills between Chillicothe and Waverly. IIRC total elevation gain for the entire 105 miles is like 1300 feet. Wind and weather are typically a MUCH bigger problem in mid-May, so come prepared for those!

Catrin
01-17-2013, 07:37 AM
Thanks Oak, this is valuable information! I should probably wait to see how this shoulder works out before I commit to the effort and expense of back-to-back half-centuries that early in the season, but I will certainly keep this in mind! I've no desire to ride 200 miles over the course of a weekend, but the half-option sounds like a lot of fun AND it is in easy driving distance :)

Owlie
01-17-2013, 10:12 AM
Catrin, if you do it, let me know. I've been contemplating doing it and I'll have a bike this year with more knee-friendly gearing... (I'd be doing the half too.)

indysteel
01-17-2013, 12:10 PM
Thanks Oak, this is valuable information! I should probably wait to see how this shoulder works out before I commit to the effort and expense of back-to-back half-centuries that early in the season, but I will certainly keep this in mind! I've no desire to ride 200 miles over the course of a weekend, but the half-option sounds like a lot of fun AND it is in easy driving distance :)

What's the other half century that you're contemplating--if you don't mind sharing? I've been racking my brain trying to recall another event around here in May. Other than the Horsey, my mind is blank.

Catrin
01-17-2013, 03:49 PM
What's the other half century that you're contemplating--if you don't mind sharing? I've been racking my brain trying to recall another event around here in May. Other than the Horsey, my mind is blank.

The half-TOSRV is 52 miles Saturday and 52 miles Sunday :)

indysteel
01-17-2013, 04:31 PM
Duh. Now why didn't that dawn on me!