PDA

View Full Version : Applying for a job I'm not qualified for...

malkin
01-04-2013, 04:46 PM
... and probably don't want.

Really, I hope they have someone all picked out and ready move to the big open job, and I want the job that that person is moving out of.
Does that make sense?

So, yah, I'm doing the application.
And I am still stressed about it.

Catrin
01-04-2013, 04:51 PM
You never know what might happen, good luck!

Crankin
01-05-2013, 03:10 AM
Do it.

Pax
01-05-2013, 04:58 AM
Go for it! Your internal experience might carry a lot of weight. Good luck!

pinsonp2
01-05-2013, 08:26 AM
I say go for it too. Back in my days as a hiring supervisor, I looked for related experience, perhaps not direct (ex: a leader at church would probably make a good team leader at work). Sometimes it is easier to hire someone who knows/understands the concepts so that the organization can train the specifics. Often times an outsider can provide some new eyes on processes and policies that others may not see. I would also encourage people to interview for any job they were interested in even if they thought they would not be selected. In so doing you learn about other organizations and expand your network of contacts. If not this position, you may be perfect for the next one and they will already have you in mind.

Good luck,

P2

malkin
01-08-2013, 04:15 AM
I'm close to finished--one more rewrite of the cover letter, and I'll be ready to submit it.

Instead of the normal 'cover letter addresses the job description,' I wrote the cover letter for the job I want and ignored all the administrative stuff that I have no interest in (or particular aptitude for).

kajero
01-09-2013, 06:50 PM
Do it. You need to be there if the boat comes in!
I once applied for a job that I scored a big fat zero in meeting the qualifications. I must have impressed them in the interview because I was hired and have been there for the last 11 years!

shootingstar
01-10-2013, 04:44 AM
You don't know who the other candidates are in terms of qualifications and experience, so do your very best malkin. A candidate with slightly less technical experience for a mid-level position might be favoured if the person has the right combination of people skills, higher level strategic or analytical experience. Technical skillls can be learned, other skills take longer to acquire experience and judgement.