PDA

View Full Version : Amgen Tour of CA - Stage1

Deanna
01-30-2006, 10:30 AM
Hey all,

I was wondering if anybody here is planning on coming up to Santa Rosa for the first stage finish. If you'd like to avoid the mess that downtown Santa Rosa will be and can bring up a bike, I can lead a short ride or provide directions from my part of town to the finish area

Deanna

Trek420
01-30-2006, 12:11 PM
when is that? the 18th?

Deanna
01-30-2006, 12:30 PM
It's on the 20th - President's Day.

mikki
01-30-2006, 01:09 PM
I volunteered to work it. Would love to meet up with you, though.
:D Mikki

aka_kim
02-10-2006, 09:32 AM
I'm interested in doing a short ride or info on good parking/viewing spots. I haven't asked for the time off work yet, but I think (and most would agree) that I do need a mental health day (or three).

SadieKate
02-10-2006, 09:34 AM
. . . but I think (and most would agree) that I do need a mental health day (or three).Maybe four? Poor Kim has been all work and no play.:(

aka_kim
02-10-2006, 09:43 AM
Maybe four? Poor Kim has been all work and no play.:(... makes Kim a dull girl.

I'll probably see part of Stage 2 (on Sierra Rd) and maybe the TT in San Jose too (don't know where), so more mental health days will be needed.

Deanna
02-10-2006, 10:21 AM
I'm interested in doing a short ride or info on good parking/viewing spots. I haven't asked for the time off work yet, but I think (and most would agree) that I do need a mental health day (or three).

Well it is President's Day, so maybe it won't be too hard to get the day off! Since my original post, I've learned that parking downtown will be free that day (I guess the meter minders want the day off too!) and we have a few good sized parking garages downtown. I've also been to a Q&A with Levi Leipheimer and he thinks the downtown area will be the best for watching. This link is a detailed maps of the loops downtown:
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=16289

The area along Sonoma ave will probably be good for getting photos - they won't be zipping around and there's lots of grass for sitting on. The finish is at 3rd and B, which is kind-of surprising as the stretch along Sonoma is a much better finish area, and has been used for race finishes in the past.

I'll be riding from west of town on a flat creekside trail, about 5-7 miles out There will be bike valet parking. Send me a pm and I'll forward my contact information if you decide you want to ride into town. It's a fairly direct route so if my timing doesn't work for you I can do up a route slip for you.